Lorenzen Continues To Impress

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Few reserve quarterbacks in the NFL have as many nicknames as Jared Lorenzen.

At 6-4 and 285 pounds, the quarterback is often referred to as the “Hefty Lefty,” but he is now getting noticed for something else – his talent. Though training camp is only four days old, the third-year pro has been very impressive and has been electrifying the Albany crowds.

“So far I am having my best camp yet," Lorenzen, Eli Manning’s 26-year-old backup, said today. “I understand a lot more this year. I might not be throwing as well as I did, but I understand the offense a lot more and I now verbalize a lot more with other players and during meetings.”

Lorenzen played only briefly in three regular season games in 2006. His first career game action came when he filled in on punt coverage on Oct. 8 versus Washington. On Dec. 30, also against the Redskins, he picked up two yards and a first down on a quarterback sneak on third-and-one. He repeated the feat a week later in the Wild Card Game at Philadelphia.

In 2005, Lorenzen was inactive for all 16 games as the Giants' third-string quarterback. After signing with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2004, he participated in the team's mini-camp but spent the season on the Reserve/Did Not Report list, as he missed training camp for personal reasons and returned to his home in Kentucky.

Lorenzen understands that no matter how good he looks at training camp, people will always question him until he plays well in a meaningful game.

“You really don't know how you will perform until you are thrown into the fire," Lorenzen said. "I like to think I can go in there and get it done. I have the trust from my teammates that they know I can make the throws. I love playing here and I love being a backup, but at the same time, I'm preparing to be a starting quarterback.”

http://www.giants.com/news/special_features/story.asp?story_id=25703

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Eli continues to be Mr.Inconsistent I won't be against giving JLoad a shot. :D

He should of played more last year to wake Eli up. It's tough to say but I think Jared is a better QB than Eli. All Eli has is his name and he doesn't impress me at all.