What do the Reds do with Freel?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phillips doesn't save you enough to pay for pitching help and he isn't going to bring anything close to what's needed in a trade...

Are we so bad that our only hope is dumping salaries and banking on the FA market? I would say that he is our most valuable trading asset, probably a top 10 2B in the league.

Are we so bad that our only hope is dumping salaries and banking on the FA market? I would say that he is our most valuable trading asset, probably a top 10 2B in the league.

Which would be nice if 2Bs had any real trade value. Phillips isn't getting you anything of value in a trade. Sorry...

The Reds only hope lies in dumping salaries and relying on a core group they have and banking on the minors to produce. Money made by dumping salaries needs to spent wisely on pitching. Any hole ( and there are some) with position players will have to brought up from the farm system.

I would consider BP as part of a core group that should remain here.

Freel will give you a 100% effort on every play but from an MLB standpoint, he's not going to be productive enough, to ever help a team win.

I like his effort, just doesn't have any of the 5 tools, other than speed, to help a MLB team succeed. He's a utility player and role, at times.

Freel will give you a 100% effort on every play but from an MLB standpoint, he's not going to be productive enough, to ever help a team win.

I like his effort, just doesn't have any of the 5 tools, other than speed, to help a MLB team succeed. He's a utility player and role, at times.

I love him as a role player. Plays 3rd 2nd all OF positions and emergency catcher. He can pinch run and if you need a wall removed he can run through it for you.

I love him as a role player. Plays 3rd 2nd all OF positions and emergency catcher. He can pinch run and if you need a wall removed he can run through it for you.
I agree. His value, is his versatility when needed.

Which would be nice if 2Bs had any real trade value. Phillips isn't getting you anything of value in a trade. Sorry...

I guess I have to agree with you, but the idea of dumping salaries and relying on a core group just doesn't appeal to me (as mentioned above). First of all, no one wants Dunn or Griffey bad enough to give us anything in return. Second of all, that core group isn't good enough. BP is a good player but he doesn't fit in our lineup well IMO. There isn't a spot to put him really. We need to shake something up is what I am trying to get at.

I guess I have to agree with you, but the idea of dumping salaries and relying on a core group just doesn't appeal to me (as mentioned above). First of all, no one wants Dunn or Griffey bad enough to give us anything in return. Second of all, that core group isn't good enough. BP is a good player but he doesn't fit in our lineup well IMO. There isn't a spot to put him really. We need to shake something up is what I am trying to get at.

I like BP on this team or any as a matter of fact. Above avg gloveman. Bats with power and for a decent avg, has decent speed. Seems to be good for the clubhouse. I don't see whats not to like about Brandon Phillips.

I like BP on this team or any as a matter of fact. Above avg gloveman. Bats with power and for a decent avg, has decent speed. Seems to be good for the clubhouse. I don't see whats not to like about Brandon Phillips.

I like him to in a lot of ways, but where does he fit in this lineup? And how else are we going to get pitching, because with or without BP we will never come close to the playoffs with this pitching, and it needs more help than Homer Bailey, or signing journeyman relievers in the offseason.

I like him to in a lot of ways, but where does he fit in this lineup? And how else are we going to get pitching, because with or without BP we will never come close to the playoffs with this pitching, and it needs more help than Homer Bailey, or signing journeyman relievers in the offseason.

Why don't you think he fits in the lineup?

Why don't you think he fits in the lineup?

I think the year has shown that he isn't effective at the 1 spot, and I think that he gets behind in the count too much to be a #2. Griffey and Dunn are set at 3 and 4. I guess maybe he can be a 5 hitter or beyond, but I just think his value would be better for another team than for us.

I think the year has shown that he isn't effective at the 1 spot, and I think that he gets behind in the count too much to be a #2. Griffey and Dunn are set at 3 and 4. I guess maybe he can be a 5 hitter or beyond, but I just think his value would be better for another team than for us.

I think he's great in the 2-hole personally. With the team they have now, I'd say the perfect lineup would be...

1-Hatteberg

2-Phillips

3-Griffey Jr.

4-Dunn

5-Encarnacion

6-Hamilton

7-Gonzalez

8-Ross