What Baseball Stats are over-rated?

I disagree that K's are not an important statistic. If a pitcher doesn't let you put the ball in play it's tough to score. For a hitter the more you put the ball in play especially w/ people on base more good things can happen.

I think ground ball ratio for pitchers is way under-rated.

Understand and valid points. My thoughts on K's, not being an affective measure of a pitcher effectiveness, is translated to "baserunners".

A MLB pitcher can K, say 6-8 and that will leave 19-21 outs remaining. If he gives up 6 hits and 4 BB's, then 10 runners will be on, not including E's. A batter could then ground-out, SacFly or pick up a hit and get the runners home.

Now, if you K 13-14, you've minimized the responsibility of your defense.

Understand and valid points. My thoughts on K's, not being an affective measure of a pitcher effectiveness, is translated to "baserunners".

A MLB pitcher can K, say 6-8 and that will leave 19-21 outs remaining. If he gives up 6 hits and 4 BB's, then 10 runners will be on, not including E's. A batter could then ground-out, SacFly or pick up a hit and get the runners home.

Yeah, but if he is more likely to strike the next batter out the other team is less likely to score. If a guy only strikes out say 2-3 instead of 6-8 that's 4-5 more people that put the ball in play, which by your argument means they're more likely to score.

Disagree on saves being overrated. Important aspect, of finishing a game and 6-8 blown saves, can oft be the difference in 1st-3rd.

I feel several are "overrated" and in no order....

K's - strikeouts, not an accurate measure of a pitchers effectiveness.

SB's - stolen bases, lost fundamental of the game

CG - complete games, a thing of the past in MLB

ERA's - can be misleading

WP's - wild pitches, serve little purpose

HBP's - give an indication, of on the plate/little fear

The two I highlighted are the ones I miss the most. I also think that the ability to bunt is a lost art.

In todays MLB you rarely see the 13-14 K games, since so many pitchers on pitch counts. I think thats probably my biggest gripe with MLB and the aspect of pitching in todays game.

In todays MLB you rarely see the 13-14 K games, since so many pitchers on pitch counts. I think thats probably my biggest gripe with MLB and the aspect of pitching in todays game.
Agreed, which is why I think K's, are a stat that is over-rated.

Many pitchers today, are more finesse and location, rather than K totals. Seems everyone, can turn on a 94mph FB....

Agreed, which is why I think K's, are a stat that is over-rated.

Many pitchers today, are more finesse and location, rather than K totals. Seems everyone, can turn on a 94mph FB....

Your right. If they can't turn on the fast ball, they have no business in the show.