Bullit East 10 St. X 8

The Tigers had their first setback of the season, losing to Bullitt East last night. They jumped out to a commanding 7-0 lead after 3 innings lead by Brian Erie's 2 run homer. Kal Scheler and Eric Brewer had timely hits to help increase the lead before the Chargers startied chipping away at the Tigers lead. The Tigers pitchers had trouble throwing strikes and the game got away with some key Charger hits and some Tiger errors. The Tigers threatened in the 6th with another RBI single by Brian Erie but the Tigers stranded the tieing runs on base to end the game.

Hang in there Tigers, we'll get'em next time.

Yes. John Jefferson is the new Head Varsity Baseball Coach.

Do you think that with Jefferson that what grade you are in will continue to determine what level of team that a player plays on? In other words, if you are a freshman, the player plays on the freshman team. Sophmores play on the J.V. team. Should what level of skill and ability be figured into the mix? The Kentucky Cyclones 14U last year beat every freshman team that they scrimmaged. The games were not even close. I've overhead parents of St. X players, both in baseball and football, brag about how good certain particularly freshman teams are. To me, it's largely apples and oranges. The freshman team is to help develop the program. Other schools may have freshmen playing varsity. A freshmen team's record, say in baseball or basketball, is not necessarily a predictor of the varsity team's success. I think that it is good to keep numbers of kids around, say in a baseball program. Who might be the best in the ninth grade may not be the best in the 12th. Numbers in football may have a greater impact than in baseball or basketball, particularly if a team really develops the strength of the line and has the ability to platoon and specialize in special teams. Any thoughts?