When Junior Plays he will be in Right Field

When the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. makes his Grapefruit League debut, it will be in right field, according to a source with knowledge of his situation. Griffey, recovering from a broken left hand, does not mind shifting from center to right, the source said. However, Griffey was under the impression that the Reds would delay their decision until midway through spring training while attempting to acquire a legitimate center fielder. Instead, he learned at the start of camp that he would be in right.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6584822

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like him there. What about Hamilton as the everyday center fielder?

I would rather Griffey play right field, get plenty of time off and be healthy enough to be there for us at the end of the season than play center and get hurt.

The important thing with Griffey is that he doesn't seem to have a problem with playing right field, that may change during the season though.

So says the Baseball Guy.

“We would have liked to give Junior a chance to play center field,” Narron said. “But he’s been hurt, we’re getting to the point where we need to get our lineup out there. We’ve got to get the club ready. That’s the whole thing.”

“It’s a decision I made,” he said. “I didn’t take it lightly. I’ve talked to people around baseball.”

Updated at 4:07 from the Enquirer

Who are they playing in his place? I wouldn't mind seeing Freel there. They have to get that man on the field everyday.

I'm sure Freel will get some time out there (until his first injury [the man is just not built to play everyday in the MLB]), but I'd expect you'll see some Hamilton as well. I also think you will see some Griffey in CF with Conine in RF. Of course, when Griffey than gets hurt it'll be because he was asked to move from RF to CF and back to RF. :rolleyes:

Maybe Dunn can play Center?!??!!??! :ylsuper: Whoa, just kidding.

I figure this is win-win for Cincy, as someone mentioned jokingly earlier worst thing that could happen is we get to unload his contract in a trade, if anyone will take it.

I'd like to see some kind of platoon, with Freel, Hamilton, and Junior basically taking care of both positions, with someone else (Crosby, Denorfia, whoever they took as the 5th outfielder???) filling in here and there.

Just for fun. A SF paper is reporting that the Giants might be interested in dealing Armando Benitez and if they do the Reds would be a potential destination. The Kid in RF and the Head in LF. Hmmmmmm...

That would at least give him a chance at a ring......I hope it happens...