2007 Newport Central Catholic

theguru

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mike Wolfe coach there from 94-96 (those years could be wrong) and left for Campbell Co. in '97. I'm not trying to make any significant point, this is just my own personal interest.

95-96 seasons, but that's splitting hairs. He was D-Coordinator and Nate Roeding coached DB's and both ran conditioning. They were great to be around.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Schneider has taken over as O-Coordinator, Wagner D-Coordingator, Faust has coached QB's and is coaching secondary, Eddie Eviston is coaching QB's, Wiggins is coaching secondary or linebackers, not sure there. The O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator has been there for about 7 years, or the year before your brother and Smith graduated. You're right that they've been there for awhile, but you'll see that the renaissance happened when the Coordinators were given control.

I beleive Scott Wiggins coaches WR's and DB's. I could be wrong though.

Can someone post the schedule?

Season opens with Simon Kenton I believe in a bowl game at Newport Stadium followed by Bellevue vs Newport in the nitecap.

Other non-district games (not in order) Campbell Co, Ryle, Conner, CovCath, Beechwood, Bellevue. District games Holy Cross, Newport, Lloyd.

I know of two former NewCath grads that offered their coaching services and were turned down by the present powers that be. #1. Mike Kiernan, former D-lineman from Notre Dame. #2 Jack Hering, present O-line coach at CovCath. Both men have a hell of a lot more to offer than the present O-line, D-line coach.

Sometimes the old boys club doesn't want new members.

I know of two former NewCath grads that offered their coaching services and were turned down by the present powers that be. #1. Mike Kiernan, former D-lineman from Notre Dame. #2 Jack Hering, present O-line coach at CovCath. Both men have a hell of a lot more to offer than the present O-line, D-line coach.

I see your point and agree, but can you argue with the recent success?

Mike Kiernan was a coach and teacher at NewCath around '85 or '86. He changed professions.

Four trips to the state championship game and 2 state titles this decade, somebody must know a little something in the "old boys club" don't you think?

The "Old Boys Club" no longer exists like it used to. The times have changed. It all started in '00 and the whole athletic department at NewCath has changed with it. In terms of politics, NewCath is way behind those of other schools that have gained that athletic success that NewCath has the past few years.

• 4 months later...