Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Division III Schools

Featured Replies

What (if anything) can Division III schools do to entice a player to come to that school? While scholarships are not possible, are there other ways to help pay for books or housring...etc.?

  • Replies 55
  • Views 25.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What (if anything) can Division III schools do to entice a player to come to that school? While scholarships are not possible, are there other ways to help pay for books or housring...etc.?

Hope and pray that the player is a good student with a great ACT or SAT score, or that the parents have favorable FAFSA numbers. Combination of both hopefully.

Some programs have grants, that may help offset costs. Academics and accomplishments, in athletics and combined with what FB mentioned above, are promotable points.

Some programs have grants, that may help offset costs. Academics and accomplishments, in athletics and combined with what FB mentioned above, are promotable points.

Unfortunately STRIKE3, what I am finding out is that athletic accomplishments are essentially all null and void as a far as funding is concerned. Finding it out the hard way.

 

Also finding out that most DIII schools are some of the most expensive schools out there, and acceptance standards are also higher . One very nice DIII school in southeast Ohio that I can think of has a price tag of $40,000 per year. Most are at least $30,000 per year, or are pushing it.

At Centre they have plenty of Academic scholarships as well as matching however much money you get from FASFA. They infact just recently raised money for over a $130 mill (I think thats the right amount) trust fund that will go toward giving students grant money.

At Centre they have plenty of Academic scholarships as well as matching however much money you get from FASFA. They infact just recently raised money for over a $130 mill (I think thats the right amount) trust fund that will go toward giving students grant money.

Don't forget about the quality of education, and the expanded opportunities after graduation, that Centre can use as an enticement. You are given the opportunity to study abroad, and they give excellent grant opportunities to those that financially qualify.

What (if anything) can Division III schools do to entice a player to come to that school? While scholarships are not possible, are there other ways to help pay for books or housring...etc.?

 

I attend Transy and play baseball. The financial aid office really worked with me to get every penny they could so that my college education would be affordable. There are numerous schlorships and grants they can give out, as well as workstudy.

A friend of mines son received a leadership scholarship. Some of these schools have these kind of awards where if you have showed leadership in high school or voluntered you can show that and receive money. I have seen several scholarships at the high schools that can go for a student that may have a great GPA but low ACT scores or vice versa. I think you have to really start early and look and apply for everything you can. Where sometimes you athletic ability comes in is that if a school really wants you they can show you to some of these scholarships that are out there.

I know of a person who received a student life scholarship. I believe each and every athlete received that scholarship.

I think if you are a Athlete the finacial aid office try's harder to give you more money and find scholarships for you!! So they are giving kids money in some way..

I think if you are a Athlete the finacial aid office try's harder to give you more money and find scholarships for you!! So they are giving kids money in some way..

 

I agree and I understand why they do this. The student athletes have a higher rate of graduation from colleges across the nation than the overall student body, I think they are just hedging their bets. If 2 kids are identically qualified, a student athlete will be given a slight edge, and I am okay with that. As long as they meet the criteria for the grants/academic scholarships, etc.

I think if you are a Athlete the finacial aid office try's harder to give you more money and find scholarships for you!! So they are giving kids money in some way..

 

 

60% of Centre's incoming students are need based.

Most DIII schools go out of there way to get you as much Financial aid as possible. A friend of mine went to a DIII school for basketball and I believe the tuition was something like $20,000+ a year he ended up only paying like 1,100 for the whole year. He wasn't the best student eighter.

I attend Transy and play baseball. The financial aid office really worked with me to get every penny they could so that my college education would be affordable. There are numerous schlorships and grants they can give out, as well as workstudy.

Where do they play their games?

Most DIII schools go out of there way to get you as much Financial aid as possible. A friend of mine went to a DIII school for basketball and I believe the tuition was something like $20,000+ a year he ended up only paying like 1,100 for the whole year. He wasn't the best student eighter.

Financial Aid determinations come after reviewing ones individual FAFSA report. You absolutely cannot compare what one student may receive with what another may or may not receive and conclude that another may receive a comparable offer. It is an individually based determination based on income of the student or student's family.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.