Division III Schools

Xgrad-JAGdad

Our daughter is a student athlete at a NAIA private college in Kentucky. Here are some of the more positive things we found out before she made her decision to attend. First of all, the class sizes are small. She doesn't have a class with more than 14 other students. This includes classes such as english and math. Secondly, the percentages of graduating within 4 years is much greater than at the big universities within the state. Even though she's a freshman her professors, advisor and even the president of the college know her by name, not by a number. And, it gave her an chance to continue playing a sport she enjoys while receiving a quality education. She was able to receive money to attend by having a good acedemic record and ACT score. We pay much less than we would have if she attended one of the large universities in the state.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our daughter is a student athlete at a NAIA private college in Kentucky. Here are some of the more positive things we found out before she made her decision to attend. First of all, the class sizes are small. She doesn't have a class with more than 14 other students. This includes classes such as english and math. Secondly, the percentages of graduating within 4 years is much greater than at the big universities within the state. Even though she's a freshman her professors, advisor and even the president of the college know her by name, not by a number. And, it gave her an chance to continue playing a sport she enjoys while receiving a quality education. She was able to receive money to attend by having a good acedemic record and ACT score. We pay much less than we would have if she attended one of the large universities in the state.

What kind of ACT score?

Not as much as it used to be. Hanover (the town) has grown quite a bit since I was there in the early to mid 1980's. Madison is a really neat little town as well.

I graduated in 2002, so when you visited it must have been really out there. Madison is really a cool town. It has Hinkles, or did, and a lot of cool bars, (ok 3) :)

• 1 month later...
I graduated in 2002, so when you visited it must have been really out there. Madison is really a cool town. It has Hinkles, or did, and a lot of cool bars, (ok 3) :)

My wife and I had lunch at Hinkles a few months ago. Solid little cheeseburger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I have a boy that wants to get into aerospace engineering. He is only a sophmore, but he loves aviation and engineering and has since he was three. Are there any DIII schools around Kentucky that have this specialty? He is currently eyeing "big" schools like Alabama, and a school in Daytona Beach, FL that has a reputation for being good aerospace engineering schools. His "way out there" reach is for Princeton in New Jersey. The boy makes the grades (4.0) and scored a 21 on the ACT in the seventh grade and is a pretty good athlete who might get into a school on athletics. We (his mother and I) are afraid that he will be swallowed up by one these big schools and we aren't exactly dripping with money for tuition. Anybody got suggestions for a school within a state or two from Kentucky that has a good aerospace engineering department?

The University of Dayton has a very good aerospace engineering school which works closely with Wright Patterson Airforce Base. If his ACT scores are above 25 the the financial aid package is pretty good of course 27 is better and if he can get to the magic number of 30 or above he has a good chance of going to school with most of the cost being taken care of.