Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Officiating

Featured Replies

You now qualfify for the 16th Region.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

  • Replies 38
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are gonna use a 3rd Referee let them set in the stands, From what games I go to looks and sounds like 90% of the ref's are there already in the stands, but just dont have whistles.. It amazing how some people really act over a call. I can tell you if alot of them would of had chairs like Bob Knight alot more would be thrown.

I've never been on the floor as an offical but I'm sure it is much more difficult than most of the people in the stands, and even coaches would believe. IMO there are good, so so, and bad officals just as there are the same type fans and coaches. Really a thankless job for what they are paid.

I've never been on the floor as an offical but I'm sure it is much more difficult than most of the people in the stands, and even coaches would believe. IMO there are good, so so, and bad officals just as there are the same type fans and coaches. Really a thankless job for what they are paid.

 

 

I agree.

I've never been on the floor as an offical but I'm sure it is much more difficult than most of the people in the stands, and even coaches would believe. IMO there are good, so so, and bad officals just as there are the same type fans and coaches. Really a thankless job for what they are paid.

 

 

This is quite possibly the best post ever on BGP :thumb:

I think we need to go back to the old school days when we only had two referees call games. With 3 calling games there are alot of lazy refs out there that are asleep most of the game only to awake when its time to collect their check.

 

Back when we had only two, the quality of the refs were better because they worked harder at their craft. The play was as physical back in the 70's as is today and two refs were sufficient. Sure calls were missed with two, but there are as many if not more being missed today with 3 refs, and with three the referee cost to school athletic departments is 33% higher.

 

I say we eliminate the third ref, take that 33% savings that all the schools will have, and spend it on the kids for uniforms, shoes, equipment, or developmental programs!!!!!!!!

 

I am for boycotting the 3rd ref!!!!!!

 

Well, I have to disagree with your boycott! Having been in officiating when two officials were the norm, one had to guess at calls and missed cirtical calls that clean up the game. It is not always that we/they miss things with three officials on the floor, it is that sometimes we pass on things that are minimal (ie a slight bump after the release of a shot that goes in and had nothing to do with the play). Now, I agree that there are officials out there that are incompetent, lazy, "homers" and just flat out fat and out of shape. But, they are willing to go out and put up with the comments, travel, time away from their familes and just plain ole idiot fans, so you have to give them credit there. So before you go bashing what they do, sign up and try it for a year. Make yourself some extra money for a vacation (cause you will need it after the season).

 

Another thing about three officials; usually the pay is 10 dollars less per official for a three person game (ie if they make 60 dollars for a two person, it would be 50 per for a three person game). So the cost is not 33% more. The extra body on the floor (no matter how incompetent) makes for a smoother game for all.

 

Now, if you have the fortitude to come on in and join the people that now officiate games, I can hook you up in your area. Heck, now that I am retired from the game, I'll even help you get started. I'll give you pointers next season and make sure that you see what you are missing!

 

:fire:

Well, I have to disagree with your boycott! Having been in officiating when two officials were the norm, one had to guess at calls and missed cirtical calls that clean up the game. It is not always that we/they miss things with three officials on the floor, it is that sometimes we pass on things that are minimal (ie a slight bump after the release of a shot that goes in and had nothing to do with the play). Now, I agree that there are officials out there that are incompetent, lazy, "homers" and just flat out fat and out of shape. But, they are willing to go out and put up with the comments, travel, time away from their familes and just plain ole idiot fans, so you have to give them credit there. So before you go bashing what they do, sign up and try it for a year. Make yourself some extra money for a vacation (cause you will need it after the season).

 

Another thing about three officials; usually the pay is 10 dollars less per official for a three person game (ie if they make 60 dollars for a two person, it would be 50 per for a three person game). So the cost is not 33% more. The extra body on the floor (no matter how incompetent) makes for a smoother game for all.

 

Now, if you have the fortitude to come on in and join the people that now officiate games, I can hook you up in your area. Heck, now that I am retired from the game, I'll even help you get started. I'll give you pointers next season and make sure that you see what you are missing!

 

:fire:

Thanks Ghost for the reality check. I definately don't want to go down the path of becoming an idiot fan.

 

I really don't want to become a referee because I do recognize it is a thankless job. I do understand you have to take the good with the bad and usually evens out. I have enough people gunnin at me every day in my business, so I know what it takes to have thick skin, and that is definately a prerequisite to becoming an official. Come to think of it, officials are probably darn good emplyees in their real jobs as a result of their officiating experience.

 

I guess I got off on this venting tirade because I witnessed a kid take two extremely hard fouls to each side of the head in two out of the last three games without the calls being made. But you know, there is a posative to the war wounds he has acquired, the sympathy attention from the ladies.

 

I'll take back my boycott, and pledge to become a normal, calm, objective fan, instead of an idiot.

 

Thanks for the therapy Ghost. I will now go back to raising money for my booster club in order to pay for the 3rd Ref.;)

Thanks Ghost for the reality check. I definately don't want to go down the path of becoming an idiot fan.

 

I really don't want to become a referee because I do recognize it is a thankless job. I do understand you have to take the good with the bad and usually evens out. I have enough people gunnin at me every day in my business, so I know what it takes to have thick skin, and that is definately a prerequisite to becoming an official. Come to think of it, officials are probably darn good emplyees in their real jobs as a result of their officiating experience.

 

I guess I got off on this venting tirade because I witnessed a kid take two extremely hard fouls to each side of the head in two out of the last three games without the calls being made. But you know, there is a posative to the war wounds he has acquired, the sympathy attention from the ladies.

 

I'll take back my boycott, and pledge to become a normal, calm, objective fan, instead of an idiot.

 

Thanks for the therapy Ghost. I will now go back to raising money for my booster club in order to pay for the 3rd Ref.;)

 

I don't know you, man, but what a classy response! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I have often thought about officiating. What is the process to become an official?

 

 

Well Looks like now you have all the info you need. So does this mean will see you in stripes next year ? Good Luck Hope its all you want it to be.

Thanks Ghost for the reality check. I definately don't want to go down the path of becoming an idiot fan.

 

I really don't want to become a referee because I do recognize it is a thankless job. I do understand you have to take the good with the bad and usually evens out. I have enough people gunnin at me every day in my business, so I know what it takes to have thick skin, and that is definately a prerequisite to becoming an official. Come to think of it, officials are probably darn good emplyees in their real jobs as a result of their officiating experience.

 

I guess I got off on this venting tirade because I witnessed a kid take two extremely hard fouls to each side of the head in two out of the last three games without the calls being made. But you know, there is a posative to the war wounds he has acquired, the sympathy attention from the ladies.

 

I'll take back my boycott, and pledge to become a normal, calm, objective fan, instead of an idiot.

 

Thanks for the therapy Ghost. I will now go back to raising money for my booster club in order to pay for the 3rd Ref.;)

 

I do realize that sometimes calls are missed, but a hit to the head should never be passed on. I really hated calling "and ones", but when they involved a hit to the head, I called them every time.

 

And do please raise that money...with three all the time I might strap it back on and ref again! Then you'd have a least one good (abet older) official there once and a while!

 

:ylsuper:

  • Author

I have contacted the BBA and passing a test and 35 dolalrs is all that is required... Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have officiated a few football games in youth leagues and a few freshmen and JV games. My experience is that there is not enough teaching from the start. It is more of self-evaluation and self-teaching. It would be nice if there was an internship program, a mentoring program, or something along those lines. But the lack of resources would be the biggest challenge. Basketball is far tougher than football when it comes to immediate criticism. Also in football, you have a couple seconds more to make a decision.

I have often thought about officiating. What is the process to become an official?

 

 

There are a few steps you need to take.....

 

1. Print off a form off http://www.KHSAA.org in order to register with the state.

 

2. A few weeks after registering you will recieve your rule books along with a test. You must take that test and send it back to the KHSAA. I believe you must score an 80% on the test to get registered.

 

3. After the registering process you must join a local association. Joining an association will probably cost you around $30-$35 in dues. There are many across the state and the KHSAA should point you in the right direction as to witch one to join.

 

4. Then you must do what ever the association requires of their officials to get a schedule for the assigner of the association. Usually it's a certain number of training session and meeting. I would advise going to as many as possible. You could also attend various camps around the state that are VERY helpful. Most association have a mentor program for new officials.

I have officiated a few football games in youth leagues and a few freshmen and JV games. My experience is that there is not enough teaching from the start. It is more of self-evaluation and self-teaching. It would be nice if there was an internship program, a mentoring program, or something along those lines. But the lack of resources would be the biggest challenge. Basketball is far tougher than football when it comes to immediate criticism. Also in football, you have a couple seconds more to make a decision.

 

Most association do have mentoring programs. Did you join an association? I know in our association we have about 4 or 5 training sessions for new officials and we start from the pregame field walk to mechanics on scrimmage kicks. And while experience is the best teacher, we try to instill the basics of officiating and get them as prepared as possible before they walk onto the field. It is also up to them as to how prepared they want to be because there is tons of things that need to be done at home to get prepared such as reading the books and knowing the rules. Learning the rules is the easy part, it's the interpreting the rules that has to be taught and learned. While in the past our association has over-looked the newer officials, we are changing things for the better. Last year there was 13 new officials throughout the entire state in football and our association had 6 of them and I'm proud to say that we still have all six new officials as members.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.