Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Violent fights at Doss HS

Featured Replies

The underlying tensions fueling these fights are reportedly linked to gang and neighborhood rivalries. New school boundary lines have forced students from competing neighborhoods into Doss High School, further exacerbating conflicts.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChickenWyngz
    ChickenWyngz

    I agree completely, but unfortunately, we've moved to an instructional model across the US that doesn't support doing this. Schools would benefit from actually expelling children again too.  You

  • theguru
    theguru

    This right here, this type of response (which is ubiquitous in my opinion) is in large part why many schools are doomed.  Individual behavior of a student is one thing, how the "adults in the room" ha

  • I know this is your favorite thing to say, but it's the only option for probably 90% of Jefferson County families. 

What a scary article.  The teacher was right.  They need more staff, better control and hold parents responsible.  I feel so bad for the staff and innocent students there.  Can’t the police temporarily step in and help get things calmed down?  Why are students that beat up others not arrested?  Normally, I wouldn’t advocate for that, but it sounds like things are much worse than a typical playground brawl.

Start arresting these kids and their parents. 

1 hour ago, Beechwoodfan said:

What a scary article.  The teacher was right.  They need more staff, better control and hold parents responsible.  I feel so bad for the staff and innocent students there.  Can’t the police temporarily step in and help get things calmed down?  Why are students that beat up others not arrested?  Normally, I wouldn’t advocate for that, but it sounds like things are much worse than a typical playground brawl.

Louisville Schools have their own Police Force.  You'd think they could pull officers from other schools to help maintain order at Doss.

Upon further review they only have around 70 sworn officers and safety monitors to cover over 160 schools. 

Parents, get your kids and get out of JCPS. 

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

Parents, get your kids and get out of JCPS. 

I know this is your favorite thing to say, but it's the only option for probably 90% of Jefferson County families. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I know this is your favorite thing to say, but it's the only option for probably 90% of Jefferson County families. 

I think it is the right thing to say and in the words of Merril Hoge, "Find A Way!"

https://merrilhoge.com/

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think it is the right thing to say and in the words of Merril Hoge, "Find A Way!"

https://merrilhoge.com/

What would you suggest that many people do?

Just now, TheDeuce said:

What would you suggest that many people do?

Total school choice would be a great start.

For the others, you have to find a way to move out of the city of Louisville. 

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Total school choice would be a great start.

For the others, you have to find a way to move out of the city of Louisville. 

Completely unrealistic for the most impacted communities, but I think you know that. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Completely unrealistic for the most impacted communities, but I think you know that. 

Like I said, find a way!

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Start arresting these kids and their parents. 

I agree completely, but unfortunately, we've moved to an instructional model across the US that doesn't support doing this. Schools would benefit from actually expelling children again too. 

You wouldn't believe the amount of students in schools across the commonwealth that make threats, get popped for thc or pills, etc. and walk the halls a week later without the local authorities even being involved. 

I was told a few years ago at a conference by someone else in education, "when we place kids in handcuffs for bringing drugs to school we are telling that kids that they are a criminal." Welllll.... if you bring illegal things to places you shouldn't, you are in fact a criminal, better to teach them now and try to fix it IMO.

 

 

1 minute ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I agree completely, but unfortunately, we've moved to an instructional model across the US that doesn't support doing this. Schools would benefit from actually expelling children again too. 

You wouldn't believe the amount of students in schools across the commonwealth that make threats, get popped for thc or pills, etc. and walk the halls a week later without the local authorities even being involved. 

I was told a few years ago at a conference by someone else in education, "when we place kids in handcuffs for bringing drugs to school we are telling that kids that they are a criminal." Welllll.... if you bring illegal things to places you shouldn't, you are in fact a criminal, better to teach them now and try to fix it IMO.

 

 

This is a layered issue but it is also why I am NOT for regular police officers in schools.  I think we should have "special forces types" in schools and police officers should still be police officers when illegal things happen inside schools.  Instead, what we have is police officers not enforcing the law because the schools don't want them to.  The instant that started happening, the police should have left the schools and let them hire private security. 

4 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I agree completely, but unfortunately, we've moved to an instructional model across the US that doesn't support doing this. Schools would benefit from actually expelling children again too. 

You wouldn't believe the amount of students in schools across the commonwealth that make threats, get popped for thc or pills, etc. and walk the halls a week later without the local authorities even being involved. 

I was told a few years ago at a conference by someone else in education, "when we place kids in handcuffs for bringing drugs to school we are telling that kids that they are a criminal." Welllll.... if you bring illegal things to places you shouldn't, you are in fact a criminal, better to teach them now and try to fix it IMO.

I understand not ruining a kids life, but where's the lesson with just suspending them? That's a vacation for them. There has to be tougher consequences. 

As for the parents, this stuff starts at home the majority of the time. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

This is a layered issue but it is also why I am NOT for regular police officers in schools.  I think we should have "special forces types" in schools and police officers should still be police officers when illegal things happen inside schools.  Instead, what we have is police officers not enforcing the law because the schools don't want them to.  The instant that started happening, the police should have left the schools and let them hire private security. 

I agree with this. Having an officer in a school purely for show is a waste of resources. If they can't arrest a kid they find drugs on, what's the point of them being there. 

They also shouldn't be looking to traditional police officers to break up fights. Other resources should be utilized, mainly prevention. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.