Trinity Christian 62 East Jessamine 60 (46th District Semifinal)

35 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

Congrats to Trinity Christian! Very deserving. Assuming Mercer hangs on, when is the last time a Jessamine school has not been in the region tournament? 

East and West opened in 1997-98. Neither team made the region that season. East lost to Lexington Catholic; West lost to Sayre (this was back in their 11th Region days). At least one of the two have played in every region tournament since then.

Post season anything can happen.  Gym was packed and a very loud/intense environment.  Give Trinity Christian credit they just made a few more plays in an overtime game.  East had a lot going on this week off the court that could have played a role.  This is probably as down as a whole that I have seen the 46th district ever.  

7 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Wow. I can see East making a coaching change. 

I was thinking the same thing. To not make the region this year is not good. With West being down, they had to capitalize. And next year Mercer brings a ton back and West gets their transfer student eligible. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

I was thinking the same thing. To not make the region this year is not good. With West being down, they had to capitalize. And next year Mercer brings a ton back and West gets their transfer student eligible. 

East has the better roster but Trinity Christian is not a horrible team.  Trinity Christian beat Somerset Christian by 28.  Southwestern only beat Somerset Christian by 6.  Somerset Christian only got beat by McCreary Central by 2.   East has never been great and went to Region Semi Final in this coaches 2nd year and he has only been there 4 years. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

20th win of the season.  Avenging two losses to East in the regular season.  

Lost to Mercer on the road by a dozen not long ago; the final could be a very competitive game. 

Yeah could definitely be a good game if Mercer doesn't come ready to play.  In post season if you take any team for granted you could go home sooner than you think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titan101 said:

Post season anything can happen.  Gym was packed and a very loud/intense environment.  Give Trinity Christian credit they just made a few more plays in an overtime game.  East had a lot going on this week off the court that could have played a role.  This is probably as down as a whole that I have seen the 46th district ever.  

I assume the "off the floor" stuff is in relation to East Jess PG stepping away from basketball post I saw last night.  Def. not a good time of year to have off the floor issues going on, but nothing surprises me in today's society.

10 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

Wow. I can see East making a coaching change. 

A coaching change? Their records the last 3 years are: 4-26; 9-21 & then 17-14 this year, with two wins over West and a 10-7 record in regional play. They had two players suspended last night, one of which was a key player. I’ve not been able to ascertain who the second player was, so they might have been as well.

It wasn’t how they should've ended their season but there were certainly contributing factors. They don’t have a ton of talent yet they were relevant in the region this year for the first time in forever. And given their positive trends YOY, I think this staff has done very well. Perhaps overachieved.

There are certainly other coaches in this region that have done less with a lot more to work with. And to me, that’s what high school coaching is all about. You are a dealt a hand, so what do you do with it. Are they better or worse than expected? That’s the measure of whether a coach is doing a good job. And in this case I would argue they made them better than expected.

• Like 2