Mason County 73 Lex Cath 68 2OTs

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royals were fortunate to pull this one out. Up 43-29, Catholic looked tired. Royals then get real passive; giving up easy baskets and making poor decisions on offense. Catholic got a lift from a couple of subs, I know #1 hit a couple of threes. Catholic went on a 26-7 run to go up 55-50 with just over 2 minutes to play, but Mason hit a couple of big baskets and had the ball at the end of regulation. Catholic played great D on the final possession and a desperation 3 by Scott was off the mark.

Catholic had the ball with the game tied in the first OT, but D. Miller blocked Novosel with a second or two to go. There was one awful call in the OT (I think it was in the first OT) where there was a scramble for the ball and LC was given a time out when they didn't appear to control the ball; but the call didn't end up determining the outcome.

Mason hit FTs down the stretch to ice the game in the second OT.

A few observations:

Miller played better with 3 fouls; most if not all of his 6 blocks came after that point. As could be expected, Novosel looked tired towards the end of the game and didn't have much bounce left.

Trevor Setty and Russ Middleton came up huge tonight. Setty with several critical baskets late; he had 17 points and 7 boards, Middleton had 16 points and also 7 boards. Along with Miller, they willed Mason County to the win.

I'm not crazy about Miller bringing the ball up court against the press. I guess I'm nit-picking because after all the Royals won, but I wish they could find and use another ball-handler in Miller's place at times.

Mason hits all but a couple of free throws for the game. In a game that goes two OTs; guys like Jackson Tolle, Tony Browning and Tyreese Scott hitting all their FTs is very big.

Catholic could have packed it in when they went down 43-29, but to their credit did not fold and put themselves in a position to win. I think they went inside to a tired Novosel a couple of times too often.

Great game by two premier program; there are a lot worse ways to spend five bucks on a Friday night.

Sounds like a pretty good game. I figured Catholic was gonna have a tough week playing three teams away from home with Tates Creek and Mason Co. being on back to back nights and Lex Christian sometimes being pesky on their court. The Knights are a good team that isn't quite at great just yet but I think they will give some people a challenge come tournament time thanks to good height and some solid shooters.