Big 10 Suspends Harbaugh

TribeTime

6 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

Call me naive, uninformed or call me anything you like, but what is the difference in learning their signs as opposed to watching films and learning their formations, lineups, tendencies and whatever else helps tip you off to what they are doing?  I remember in 1990 when CCH played Lloyd.  The coach at Lloyd coached at CCH a year before.  Their signals, offense, defense, cadence and audibles were the exact same as ours.  We knew exactly what was coming.  I understand that's somewhat different, not terribly far.   

The lines are blurred, but at some point a line has to be drawn. I liken this incident more to sign stealing in baseball.

If we are going to make it permissible to go to the lengths Michigan is alleged to have gone through (and maybe others are doing the exact same thing), then competition becomes compromised.

You go to school each day, listen to the teacher, do your homework, etc., it helps you score well on a test. If you find a way to hack into the system and see the test prior to having it administered, that ain't cool...

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, UKato91 said:

Call me naive, uninformed or call me anything you like, but what is the difference in learning their signs as opposed to watching films and learning their formations, lineups, tendencies and whatever else helps tip you off to what they are doing?  I remember in 1990 when CCH played Lloyd.  The coach at Lloyd coached at CCH a year before.  Their signals, offense, defense, cadence and audibles were the exact same as ours.  We knew exactly what was coming.  I understand that's somewhat different, not terribly far.   

That's on the coach, he knew the other team knew and chose to not change it.

I'll guarantee that teams would have changed their calls/signals if they thought Michigan knew them.

On 11/10/2023 at 5:47 PM, nikeman49 said:

What a joke!! Making the head coach responsible for every single thing in the Michigan football program, what this means in reality is Michigan football is on top and making Harbaugh the scapegoat, pretty sad situation for college football!

Serious question, if they are guilty of breaking the rules...who/what should be punished?

Maybe they should forfeit every game since the sign stealing started.

Or,

Ban them from post season play this season.

Or, 

Strip them of scholarships for the next three or four seasons. (A length equal to the length of the cheating)

Or,

Suspension for the coach for three gamedays.

They by far got the lesser of potential penalties. 

11 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Serious question, if they are guilty of breaking the rules...who/what should be punished?

Maybe they should forfeit every game since the sign stealing started.

Or,

Ban them from post season play this season.

Or, 

Strip them of scholarships for the next three or four seasons. (A length equal to the length of the cheating)

Or,

Suspension for the coach for three gamedays.

They by far got the lesser of potential penalties. 

Anything but punishing the head coach is good with me.These guys have so much going on, they just don’t need that extra responsibility of chasing asst coaches stealing signs which means nothing anyway.

3 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

Anything but punishing the head coach is good with me.These guys have so much going on, they just don’t need that extra responsibility of chasing asst coaches stealing signs which means nothing anyway.

So punish the team by making them ineligible for bowl game would be good with you...as long as Harbaugh isn't blamed?

7 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

No, not on the kids, probation would be suitable.

If you put them on probation for this then how are they punished for recruiting (impermissible contact, not a cheeseburger) violations currently under investigation by the NCAA, that Michigan admitted to?

Double secret probation maybe.

Don't forget also, Michigan has basically admitted the sign stealing was going on. So they are guilty of doing this while being investigated for other violations. 

I'm not sure probation alone, is appropriate or even a reasonable punishment. 

In the end I think Harbaugh flees to the NFL, they are forced to forfeit games, and may even lose some scholarships. 

• Like 1

Something very interesting has had to come up today the way Harbaugh had been crowing form Mon.-Wed. how he was looking so forward to appear before the judge and tell his side of the story. Now all of sudden this afternoon they accept the punishment and will not go before the judge now tomorrow. It seems to me they did not want the league to look into the program any deeper. They know the NCAA will not do anything until long after the season has concluded. Where the conference could keep investigating more and could even do more this season. 

17 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Something very interesting has had to come up today the way Harbaugh had been crowing form Mon.-Wed. how he was looking so forward to appear before the judge and tell his side of the story. Now all of sudden this afternoon they accept the punishment and will not go before the judge now tomorrow. It seems to me they did not want the league to look into the program any deeper. They know the NCAA will not do anything until long after the season has concluded. Where the conference could keep investigating more and could even do more this season. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  In addition, if he goes in front of a judge and it's proven later that he lied... he's in serious trouble.  They want to try and to win a Natty and Harbaugh will move on to the NFL.  

17 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Michigan also abruptly fired their Linebacker coach after deciding not to go to court.

1 hour ago, REALSPORT said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.  In addition, if he goes in front of a judge and it's proven later that he lied... he's in serious trouble.  They want to try and to win a Natty and Harbaugh will move on to the NFL.  

19 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Also keep in mind if it goes to court all the stuff we don’t already know about becomes public. UM didn’t want that added level of public scrutiny.

• Like 2