D2 #1 Owensboro Catholic vs D1 #4 Caldwell County

D1 #2 Crittenden County vs D2 #3 Todd County Central

D3 #1 Green County vs D4 #4 Fort Knox 

D4 #2 Washington County vs D3 #3 Metcalfe County

D4 #1 Lexington Christian Academy vs D3 #4 Clinton County

D3 #2 Monroe County vs D4 #3 Shawnee

East Region: Higher Seed Hosts

D5 #1 Beechwood vs D6 #4 Danville

D6 #2 Breathitt County vs D5 #3 Owen County/Walton-Verona/Bracken County Highest RPI at end of regular season

D6 #1 Somerset vs D5 #4 Owen County/Walton-Verona/Bracken County 2nd highest RPI at end of regular season

D5 #2 Carroll County vs D6 #3 Leslie County

D7 #1 Martin County vs D8 #4 Pike County Central

D8 #2 Betsy Layne vs D7 #3 Prestonsburg

D8 #1 Shelby Valley vs D7 #4 Knott County Central

D7 #2 Floyd Central vs D8 #3 East Ridge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Said this before but it's WILD that Danville will be visiting Beechwood for a 1st round game.  If you told me that 5 years ago, I'd have thought you were in need of help.

If you told me 25 plus years ago that Beechwood would be playing Danville one of the greatest powerhouses in Ky High School football history in the 1st round I would have laughed at you. Danville was one of the greatest teams in the 80’s and 90’s when I started following Ky High school football. I’m sure their tradition goes back farther than that. I  was a junior in 1993 when Prestonsburg ended their winning streak in the playoffs. Was it 40 plus games? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

If you told me 25 plus years ago that Beechwood would be playing Danville one of the greatest powerhouses in Ky High School football history in the 1st round I would have laughed at you. Danville was one of the greatest teams in the 80’s and 90’s when I started following Ky High school football. I’m sure their tradition goes back farther than that. I  was a junior in 1993 when Prestonsburg ended their winning streak in the playoffs. Was it 40 plus games? 

42 straight. Most who followed Danville would swear that ‘93 team was the best of the run. 

• Like 2

I know there is a sister district in the playoffs to start, but do the playoffs at the second round re-seed with that sister district based on RPI or is it RPI based in the first round and the next two rounds basically bracket play?

I believe it is based on RPI again in the fourth round.

54 minutes ago, Kellymt75 said:

I know there is a sister district in the playoffs to start, but do the playoffs at the second round re-seed with that sister district based on RPI or is it RPI based in the first round and the next two rounds basically bracket play?

I believe it is based on RPI again in the fourth round.

RPI has nothing to do with the playoffs until round 3. The first round is seeded by the seeding within your District and your sister district and then round 2 is winners face each other no reseeding at all. For example District 5 and District 6 are sister districts. District 5 #1 seed Beechwood will face District 6 #4 seed Danville. The winner of that game will then face winner between District 6 #2 seed Breathitt County and the team from District 5 who ends up claiming the #3 seed which could be Owen/Walton/Bracken.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hatz said:

42 straight. Most who followed Danville would swear that ‘93 team was the best of the run. 

We watched a little of the 1994 2a state title game after we beat Murray in the 1a title game. That team was loaded as well! Danville had some big boys who could run. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

We watched a little of the 1994 2a state title game after we beat Murray in the 1a title game. That team was loaded as well! Danville had some big boys who could run. 

2003 Danville 1A State Champs were something to behold. The running tandem of Charles Penix and Kelvin Turner was unreal against Beechwood in the Championship game. Penix had 27 carries for 274 yards and 2 TD’s and Turner had 27 carries for 197 yards and 4 TD’s. They were dominate that Danville only attempted  2 passes and 1 was incomplete and the other was picked off. Total domination by Danville. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BWTigers said:

2003 Danville 1A State Champs were something to behold. The running tandem of Charles Penix and Kelvin Turner was unreal against Beechwood in the Championship game. Penix had 27 carries for 274 yards and 2 TD’s and Turner had 27 carries for 197 yards and 4 TD’s. They were dominate that Danville only attempted  2 passes and 1 was incomplete and the other was picked off. Total domination by Danville. 

Oh I know they were. I was there at the game. So I saw it first hand how dominate they were. 

What’s impressive to me is that Somerset and Coach Clevenger has a very good shot at playing in the state semis this year and at the same time Danville will go winless  for the first ever as far as I know.  Just makes you wonder how long will the horrible decision to let Clevenger go will haunt Danville.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

What’s impressive to me is that Somerset and Coach Clevenger has a very good shot at playing in the state semis this year and at the same time Danville will go winless  for the first ever as far as I know.  Just makes you wonder how long will the horrible decision to let Clevenger go will haunt Danville.

As a Somerset alum and fan, I really appreciate the Admirals gifting us a state championship winning coach.  Not only for getting rid of him the first time, but for not considering him when the job came open again.  I'm not sure I'll ever get over losing Coach Lucas like we did, but I'm happy to have Coach Clevenger.  He gets the small school dynamic.  At Somerset's homecoming game last week, he had the football team come back out of the locker room early to watch the band do their competition performance.  The band is there every week supporting the team, so he made sure to have the team come out and support them.  That is the type of thing that you do to get the whole school and community behind your program.  

• Like 15

Barring the favorites continue on into the playoffs, the 3rd round will likely look like this:

LCA at Mayfield / Green Co at OB Catholic / Martin Co at Beechwood / Shely Valley at Somerset

4th round

Somerset at OB Catholic / LCA at Beechwood {if LCA wins 3rd round}

Somerset at OB Catholic / Beechwood at Mayfield {if Mayfield wins 3rd round}

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jeff jackson said:

Barring the favorites continue on into the playoffs, the 3rd round will likely look like this:

LCA at Mayfield / Green Co at OB Catholic / Martin Co at Beechwood / Shely Valley at Somerset

4th round

Somerset at OB Catholic / LCA at Beechwood {if LCA wins 3rd round}

Somerset at OB Catholic / Beechwood at Mayfield {if Mayfield wins 3rd round}

I feel really bad for all the teams in the West.  Crazy matchups for round 3 there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

I feel really bad for all the teams in the West.  Crazy matchups for round 3 there.

I'd be upset if I were LCA. In most polls outside the rpi formula the KHSAA uses, LCA is #1 in AA and deserved. They've played a brutal non district schedule with great results. Now, for them to win a title, they'll have to beat Mayfield on the road, Beechwood on the road and then OB Catholic on a neutral field in the championship. That's brutal. If they do manage to win it with that 3 game gauntlet just tip your caps and give credit where credits due. 

As for Mayfield, they'd rather get LCA at home, regardless of the round you have to play them in. You're likely gonna have to beat them somewhere along the way anyhow, so, get any advantage you can and at War Memorial, the Cards are extremely tough to beat. 

• Like 1