Bowling Green at South Warren Predictions/Updates

Purple88

Who Wins This Game?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

2. 2. Which Quarterback will have more yards passing in this game?

• Deuce Bailey - Bowling Green
    • Bryce Button - South Warren

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2023 at 10:00 PM

I’ll go with the Spartans.

I saw someone mentioned the North Hardin game, referring to opening week? That defense went into halftime adjusted properly and came out victorious. Don’t believe that game says much at all considering we’re in the middle of October.

For me this matchup comes down to which team takes control of the game and I think they both have different approaches to victory even though it’s been similar paths to success for both teams to this point. South Warren has looked pretty all year, tossing the ball around, getting everyone involved, I think they change the script and go into this one attempting to bloody the Purples nose early and often. Putting an emphasis on winning the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball, SW has to be able to limit the amount of times this Purples offense touches the field and I believe they have the team to do exactly that. Bowling Green is always looking to score and they do it well so why not, they want this game to turn into a shootout and if that was to happen I do think the Purples can steal a win on the road against the crosstown rival. 

SW 28 BG 21

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TheBallCoach said:

I’ll go with the Spartans.

I saw someone mentioned the North Hardin game, referring to opening week? That defense went into halftime adjusted properly and came out victorious. Don’t believe that game says much at all considering we’re in the middle of October.

For me this matchup comes down to which team takes control of the game and I think they both have different approaches to victory even though it’s been similar paths to success for both teams to this point. South Warren has looked pretty all year, tossing the ball around, getting everyone involved, I think they change the script and go into this one attempting to bloody the Purples nose early and often. Putting an emphasis on winning the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball, SW has to be able to limit the amount of times this Purples offense touches the field and I believe they have the team to do exactly that. Bowling Green is always looking to score and they do it well so why not, they want this game to turn into a shootout and if that was to happen I do think the Purples can steal a win on the road against the crosstown rival. 

SW 28 BG 21

Only 21 points predicted for Bowling Green?  Interesting. 

• Confused 1

Well, let's pick up where we left off from yesterday rehashing the memorable games these two teams have played thus far.  I'll repeat the last one from yesterday to start:

Game 6: 2020 - Regular Season at Bowling Green - Through the Covid-19 Chaos - One of the best defensive matchups these 2 have played.  But South star QB Caden Veltkamp made some super plays in this one to lead South to a tough 10-7 win.  3 All Series Tied.

Game 7: 2020 - Playoffs at South Warren - South Warren came into this game undefeated and the #1 Team in 5A.  This is easily the "craziest" of all the BG v South games with a total of 13 turnovers.  Yes, 13!  And South had 9 including the biggest of the game: a blocked punt in the end zone that Tucker Strode deflected for BG and fell on top of to put the Purples ahead for good.  BG 41 - South 24.  4-3 Bowling Green.  Probably the biggest BG upset in the series to date.

That win earned BG a final El Donaldson Stadium Sendoff Regional Final game the next week vs North Bullitt.  BG would go on to exercise some demons of their own defeating CovCath on the road 20-0 and then defeating a good Owensboro squad at Kroger Field for the Purples 7th State Championship!

Game 8: 2021 - Regular Season at South Warren - This season South was loaded with a team that many started varsity since their Sophomore year.  The South Defense was the real star this game holding a very young BG offense (and then Freshman QB Deuce Bailey) to around 65 yards total offense.  South SR QB Caden Veltcamp played great this game passing for 185 yards on short fields for 3 TDs and all the points the Spartans would need in a 36-7 win.  4 All Series Tied.

Game 9: 2021 - Playoffs at South Warren - This was a closer game than the first and BG had an opportunity to go into halftime with a 3-0 lead and ALL the momentum, but a costly Pick 6 by Bailey turned the tide for the Spartans who instead went to the locker room up 7-3 and they never looked back winning 28-3.  5-4 South Warren.

The Spartans then steam-rolled to the State Championship game where they outlasted a solid Frederick Douglass squad 38-26 at Kroger Field to bring home their 3rd State Championship.

Game 10: 2022 - Regular Season at Bowling Green - Very hard fought, back-n-forth game here.  But BG star RB Javen Huddleston came up Big for the Purples with 145 yards rushing and 2 TDs and 119 yards receiving and another TD as BG nipped South 28-24.  5 All Series Tied.

Game 11: 2022 - Playoffs at Bowling Green - Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way.  That may have been what happened to the Spartans last fall.  BG dominated this game from the outset outgaining Sparty 510 yards to 114 yards in a 34-0 Stunner.  Didn't see that one coming.  6-5 Bowling Green.

The Purples would go on to make it all the way to Kroger Field and came up short to a powerful Frederick Douglass Team 28-7.

Game 12: 2023 - Regular Season at South Warren - How will this one write out and will BG take a 2 game lead in the series or will it be 6 All after Friday night?

Going to be a fun game, especially if the weather holds dry as is trending now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Killowatt59 Can’t score if you’re not on the field, you’ve watched enough Purples football this year, their inability to stop the run is the worst I’ve seen in years and SW got the guys up front and a solid RB to control the game and more importantly the clock. Even when given the opportunity offensively, do you believe the Spartans defense will let one a one dimensional team move up and down the field through the course of the 4 quarters? I don’t think they will. Should be a great one nonetheless, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 48-45, I just don’t see why SW would want to get in a shootout with this Purples team.

1 hour ago, TheBallCoach said:

@Killowatt59 Can’t score if you’re not on the field, you’ve watched enough Purples football this year, their inability to stop the run is the worst I’ve seen in years and SW got the guys up front and a solid RB to control the game and more importantly the clock. Even when given the opportunity offensively, do you believe the Spartans defense will let one a one dimensional team move up and down the field through the course of the 4 quarters? I don’t think they will. Should be a great one nonetheless, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 48-45, I just don’t see why SW would want to get in a shootout with this Purples team.

I agree that running the ball against this BG team negates possessions for them. My counter to that, South Warren has been a bit of a pass happy team thus far through the season. Not to say they have ignored the run game, but it seems (IMO) that they would rather throw it than run it. I'd venture to think they feel more comfortable letting Button dictate the pace than their run game.  If this is the route they choose to go it would be changing their identity to a certain extent. That's also not me implying they can't do it, but normally a Brandon Smith led team plays to their strengths and they don't get away from what they do best.

It's also very much possible that Bowling Green is capable of showing improvement here.  There was quite literally no where to go but up from the beginning of the season. 

• Like 1

@BillNye I look at it from the perspective that he will take advantage of the lack of talent in the BG front 7, not saying they completely disregard the passing game. Jimmy Sales ran for 189 and a TD averaging 10 yards a tote against a very physical Southwestern team, I don’t believe the Spartans are a one dimensional offense and don’t see this as a change of identity. Take into account the high octane offense the Purples have, I see this being their best path to success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBallCoach said:

Definitely an interesting take.

If BG doesn’t score more than 21 then that’s a problem.  

but that’s a big IF