Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023-24 Highlands Bluebirds

Featured Replies

Nov 28 vs. Scott
Nov 30 at Boone County
Dec 1 vs. Cincinnati Trailblazers Home-School (OH)
Dec 8 at St. Henry
Dec 9 vs. TBA (at St. Xavier - Donate Life Classic)
Dec 12 at Campbell County
Dec 15 vs. Oldham County
Dec 16 vs. Tates Creek
Dec 22 vs. Walton-Verona (Carespring Holiday Classic)
Dec 23 vs. Ashland Blazer (Carespring Holiday Classic)
Dec 27 vs. TBA (at Innisfree Hotels Pensacola Beach Classic)
Dec 28 vs. TBA (at Innisfree Hotels Pensacola Beach Classic)   
Dec 29 vs. TBA (at Innisfree Hotels Pensacola Beach Classic)  
Jan 5 at Newport **
Jan 6 vs. Lexington Christian (at Frankfort - Mayo-Underwood Classic)
Jan 9 vs. Cooper
Jan 11 at Dixie Heights
Jan 14 vs. Archbishop Moeller (OH) (at Cintas Center - Holiday Hardwood Classic)    
Jan 20 at Newport Central Catholic **
Jan 23 vs. Bishop Brossart
Jan 26 vs. Covington Catholic (at NKU Truist Arena)
Jan 30 vs. Dayton **
Feb 1 at Ryle
Feb 2 at Bellevue **
Feb 9 vs. Lloyd Memorial
Feb 10 at Montgomery County
Feb 15 vs. Covington Holy Cross
Feb 16 at Conner
Feb 20 at Simon Kenton
Feb 23 at Beechwood

** District

The Birds will definitely be battle tested.  Loaded schedule….

How will the Football team's success effect the early season?  I'm assuming they'll be deep into play-offs, when will they be able to start practicing bball? Earlt December?

Who on the Football team will be back for basketball? Benke, Class, will Geisler? Anyone else?

 

21 hours ago, RedHawk said:

How will the Football team's success effect the early season?  I'm assuming they'll be deep into play-offs, when will they be able to start practicing bball? Earlt December?

Who on the Football team will be back for basketball? Benke, Class, will Geisler? Anyone else?

 

All three of those kids mentioned I believe are not playing anymore. No clue why not. I think I counted 4 kids playing Football will be also playing Basketball but none will be starters like the ones you mentioned above. The only ones still playing Basketball that play Football that I know of.  

(JR)Gregory, (Soph's)Carnohan twins, Abner 

But there are several Freshman who also dress up with Varsity football who also play Basketball. 

 

 

6 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

All three of those kids mentioned I believe are not playing anymore. No clue why not.

Wow! This really surprises me!  Big loss for the Birds, I really enjoy watching all 3 on the court.

Why in the world would Benke not play basketball?  Class for that matter also?  Geisler quit last year did he not?

On 10/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, RedHawk said:

How will the Football team's success effect the early season?  I'm assuming they'll be deep into play-offs, when will they be able to start practicing bball? Earlt December?

Who on the Football team will be back for basketball? Benke, Class, will Geisler? Anyone else?

3 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

All three of those kids mentioned I believe are not playing anymore. No clue why not. I think I counted 4 kids playing Football will be also playing Basketball but none will be starters like the ones you mentioned above. The only ones still playing Basketball that play Football that I know of.  

(JR)Gregory, (Soph's)Carnohan twins, Abner 

But there are several Freshman who also dress up with Varsity football who also play Basketball. 

giphy-41.gif

1 hour ago, Runcible Owl said:

giphy-41.gif

This confuses me.  Was the football program "fire" when Vinson, Moeves, Rickard, etc... quit football to focus on basketball?

On 10/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, RedHawk said:

How will the Football team's success effect the early season?  I'm assuming they'll be deep into play-offs, when will they be able to start practicing bball? Earlt December?

Who on the Football team will be back for basketball? Benke, Class, will Geisler? Anyone else?

 

5 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

All three of those kids mentioned I believe are not playing anymore. No clue why not. I think I counted 4 kids playing Football will be also playing Basketball but none will be starters like the ones you mentioned above. The only ones still playing Basketball that play Football that I know of.  

(JR)Gregory, (Soph's)Carnohan twins, Abner 

But there are several Freshman who also dress up with Varsity football who also play Basketball. 

 

2 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

giphy-41.gif

 

1 hour ago, throwback32 said:

This confuses me.  Was the football program "fire" when Vinson, Moeves, Rickard, etc... quit football to focus on basketball?

I was pointing out that multi-sport football players bypassing their senior seasons on the court aren't "fire" news.

Some corollaries maybe: 

1a. Michael Mayer, Cov Cath's leading rebounder in 2018/19 didn't play his senior season before going to Notre Dame. 

1b. Brody Benke, Highlands' leading rebounder last year, may be passing up his last season on the court, before playing at TBD, or ... 

2a. Hunter Ziegelmeyer, a solid contributor on Cov Cath's 2015/16 squad didn't play his last season before playing at Dartmouth.

2b. Carson Class, like Ziggy, not one of the big three last year may also bypass his senior season before playing at TBD, or ...

I'm sure the Bluebirds will be "fine" and am looking forward to more great rivalry games with the Colonels this year. 

?Nothing untoward the Bluebirds intended from me, nor a bad faith argument proffered from my end. 

Best of luck to all concerned.

8 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

All three of those kids mentioned I believe are not playing anymore. No clue why not. I think I counted 4 kids playing Football will be also playing Basketball but none will be starters like the ones you mentioned above. The only ones still playing Basketball that play Football that I know of.  

(JR)Gregory, (Soph's)Carnohan twins, Abner 

But there are several Freshman who also dress up with Varsity football who also play Basketball.

Ouch, I would classify this as a slap in the face to Coach Listerman.

16 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Ouch, I would classify this as a slap in the face to Coach Listerman.

It's not...

Geisler didn't finish the season last year.

Class's minutes decreased tremendously as the year went on, the sophomore class has more than enough talent to make up for this.

Benke is a big loss.  His size and ability to rebound and finish will be missed.  But, the young man's future is in college is in football and I can understand making sure you have yourself in the best position for this moving forward.

21 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

It's not...

Geisler didn't finish the season last year.

Class's minutes decreased tremendously as the year went on, the sophomore class has more than enough talent to make up for this.

Benke is a big loss.  His size and ability to rebound and finish will be missed.  But, the young man's future is in college is in football and I can understand making sure you have yourself in the best position for this moving forward.

If true on Benke, he is getting really bad advice.  College coaches love multi sport athletes.  There is nothing to prep for in high school to play college football if that is the path.  Enjoy high school while you can and play as many sports as possible.

28 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

If true on Benke, he is getting really bad advice.  College coaches love multi sport athletes.  There is nothing to prep for in high school to play college football if that is the path.  Enjoy high school while you can and play as many sports as possible.

Amen brother!!!! 

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

If true on Benke, he is getting really bad advice.  College coaches love multi sport athletes.  There is nothing to prep for in high school to play college football if that is the path.  Enjoy high school while you can and play as many sports as possible.

I 100% agree but I will not be the one to tell people what they should do.

I hope he changes his mind and have heard he isn’t 100% against playing.  Hopefully after the football season he decides he wants to have one last ride with the hoops squad!

Well now that we have figured out who might not play.....can we discuss who will play?  I would assume the 1 - 2 - 3 punch is going to be Nathan Vinson, Vinny Listerman and Brayden Moeves.  I am also assuming if Benke isn't playing then your next man up big man will be Nathan Kirst.  After those 4, who you thinking?  Is Lincoln Hicks going to play his Senior year, I would assume yes, if so I would put him in the starting 5.....going to have to wait on him for after football though.  After those 5 this team I get the feeling is going to be extremely young.  The talent is there but need growth and experience.  I would say the 2 young guns who will see some action to develop will be Nathan Rickard and Charlie Messmer.  

Anybody feel or know others that might make some noise this year???

Also, when is Taylen Kinney graduating?  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.