Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Active Shooter in Louisville

Featured Replies

The SRO isn't to be stationed at the door. Their job is to constantly roam the building and campus. 

  • Replies 141
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • From Louisville Metro Police Department on Facebook: Resilience, strength, courage, service. Those are just a few of the words to describe Officer Nickolas Wilt. April 10th, was a day that foreve

  • Louisville Metro Police Department A message from the Wilt Family: Update on LMPD Officer Nick Wilt, July 14th, 2025 Nick has come a long way, but he will continue to heal for the rest

  • I can only speculate but I assume the reports mean the incident itself. I also see that some of his social media profiles are either being taken down or possibly altered for whatever reasons.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

The state protocol in KY? That's good if so, but I'm quite certain they aren't all doing it. Definitely something to enforce. 

True on the SRO, but if there are multiple points of entry, an SRO at the front door isn't doing anything to prevent someone from coming in the side door. 

Depending on the size of the school and the number of students (and maybe even the design/layout of the school) you would need more than one protector. 

4 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

The SRO isn't to be stationed at the door. Their job is to constantly roam the building and campus. 

Strategic ambiguity.

23 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think SRO would have minimal impact. 

One thing that I think would be a simple (and free) fix, why don't ALL schools lock their doors from the exterior at all times? At minimum, while school is in session they should be locked IMO. One way in the building during business hours. 

I agree, and I believe most do, been like that in NKY for decades.  With that said, regarding the shooting in Nashville, I was under the impression that the shooter shot the glass pane out of the locked front doors and made their way in that way.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I agree, and I believe most do, been like that in NKY for decades.  With that said, regarding the shooting in Nashville, I was under the impression that the shooter shot the glass pane out of the locked front doors and made their way in that way.  

Here is one entry from a timeline from wsmv.com:

10:10 a.m – Hale approaches a side entrance to the private Christian school. Without hesitation, Hale fires rounds through the glass doors. Seconds later, the shooter ducks under a push bar to enter the school. Hale is carrying two AR-style rifles and a handgun.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I agree, and I believe most do, been like that in NKY for decades.  With that said, regarding the shooting in Nashville, I was under the impression that the shooter shot the glass pane out of the locked front doors and made their way in that way.  

They did. Doors were not high security to begin with. Should have had stronger or reinforced glass panels.

Just now, theguru said:

Here is one entry from a timeline from wsmv.com:

10:10 a.m – Hale approaches a side entrance to the private Christian school. Without hesitation, Hale fires rounds through the glass doors. Seconds later, the shooter ducks under a push bar to enter the school. Hale is carrying two AR-style rifles and a handgun.

Yeah that's what I remembered seeing in still photos.  Very unfortunate that it was that easy.

On 4/10/2023 at 4:56 PM, spindoc said:

23yo kid from Floyd Central in Indiana.  Streamed the whole thing from what I've read.  I don't know if they've released if he shot himself or if he was shot by police.  Had a rifle.  I assume it was an AR.  By all accounts a kid that you wouldn't put on the radar.  Until today....

Shooter was taken out by Officer CJ Galloway at about the 5:20 mark in the body cam footage released by the LMPD today. If I read correctly, Officer Nickolas Wilt was in training on his 10th day on the job with LMPD. The video is edited to omit the portion where Officer Wilt is shot in the head, and they blur the bodies of both Officer Wilt and the shooter.

Officer Galloway was the acting training officer for Officer Wilt, riding along with him. Galloway has been with LMPD since 2018.
 

 

Apparently most (all?) of the deceased bank workers were attending a meeting when the shooter came in and started shooting. There were people attending the meeting via Zoom who watched them being shot on their computers.

Interesting comparison between Fayette County Schools and Jefferson County Schools.

Louisville has only around 30 certified unarmed officers in their schools and about 20 certified armed officers that stay in their car and cover 5 to 7 schools each. They are not allowed in the schools unless summoned by someone in the building. Louisville is woefully short on hitting the minimum requirements. 

Lexington Schools have 85 (trying to hire 15 more) certified armed SRO's covering their schools with around 5 assigned to each high school. Each other elementary and middle school has at least one assigned.

Both systems have formed their own police forces.

For this discussion "Certified" means they have been though the full 20 week academy in Richmond and have received additional 40 hours per year SRO training.

19 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Interesting comparison between Fayette County Schools and Jefferson County Schools.

Louisville has only around 30 certified unarmed officers in their schools and about 20 certified armed officers that stay in their car and cover 5 to 7 schools each. They are not allowed in the schools unless summoned by someone in the building. Louisville is woefully short on hitting the minimum requirements. 

Lexington Schools have 85 (trying to hire 15 more) certified armed SRO's covering their schools with around 5 assigned to each high school. Each other elementary and middle school has at least one assigned.

Both systems have formed their own police forces.

For this discussion "Certified" means they have been though the full 20 week academy in Richmond and have received additional 40 hours per year SRO training.

It's unfortunate that Louisville has chosen that approach.  Armed SRO's can be a great asset to the schools.  They often do a great job of bridging the gap and community policing.  Allowing kids to see first hand that police officers are normal people and not someone to fear.

With that said, it's Louisville and I'm not surprised. 

34 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

It's unfortunate that Louisville has chosen that approach.  Armed SRO's can be a great asset to the schools.  They often do a great job of bridging the gap and community policing.  Allowing kids to see first hand that police officers are normal people and not someone to fear.

With that said, it's Louisville and I'm not surprised. 

This.

The released a 911 call from the perpetrator's mother, how sad.

She called the police to let them know her son was on the way to the bank with a gun. 

51 minutes ago, theguru said:

The released a 911 call from the perpetrator's mother, how sad.

She called the police to let them know her son was on the way to the bank with a gun. 

Wild but good for her.  I'm sure that's a difficult phone call to make.  Knowing what it could mean for her son.  

21 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Wild but good for her.  I'm sure that's a difficult phone call to make.  Knowing what it could mean for her son.  

She was trying to save him. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.