Open Job: Murray

FB Head

11 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

This could be a nice job and would be a great job if not for having Mayfield in the same district. One of the nicer towns in the state with a massive lake in your back door.  

While true, it's also possible with the RPI used in seeding beyond the second round, a solid second place team in a district with a powerhouse like Mayfield isn't necessarily the end of the world. You can still make runs, perhaps even to the semifinals, not unlike what Lloyd Memorial did this past season coming from the same district as Beechwood.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

This could be a nice job and would be a great job if not for having Mayfield in the same district. One of the nicer towns in the state with a massive lake in your back door.  

What Murray has lacked in the last several years is consistency!  Whomever comes in needs to set structure and rebuild the program from the youth level on up.  The community was frustrated with the last couple of regimes on several levels.  A fresh start is needed.

I won't disagree with @Toothpick, Mayfield is Mayfield. But I will also say that Murray has the athletes and the pipeline to compete with them with the right person at the helm.  If anyone has given the Cardinals fits (other than Beechwood) it has been Murray.  It will be interesting how the new coach takes on the program and whether he is able to get backing from the community. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FB Head said:

What Murray has lacked in the last several years is consistency!  Whomever comes in needs to set structure and rebuild the program from the youth level on up.  The community was frustrated with the last couple of regimes on several levels.  A fresh start is needed.

I won't disagree with @Toothpick, Mayfield is Mayfield. But I will also say that Murray has the athletes and the pipeline to compete with them with the right person at the helm.  If anyone has given the Cardinals fits (other than Beechwood) it has been Murray.  It will be interesting how the new coach takes on the program and whether he is able to get backing from the community. 

This seems to be a common theme amongst many of the programs with coaching vacancies! 

37 minutes ago, FB Head said:

Prior to the 2 recent wins over Mayfield it has been over 20 years since besting the Cards.  That said, I too think there is talent at Murray but the program has seemed to accept being happy with being 2nd. I see potential but its untapped at this time.  

• Like 1

This is a good job and an amazing school system academically.  With RPI and playing sister districts as long as you can get 2nd and are better than the district you are matched up with it doesn't really matter.  Two teams from the same district played for the title in 6A with  Bullitt East and Male this season.  If Murray wants consistency they need to look for somebody who wants to stay in West KY and live in the community.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all on here.  Murray is a nice city and community with alot to offer.

When compared to Mayfield from a football perspective, that is a no-win situation from today backwards.

New coach has to build his culture on today forward.  Only way.  Community is a different beast.  Have to allow for near misses and building process.  Easy to say and harder to do.  Doesn't happen overnight, especially compared to a program with VERY few coaching changes since the Carter Administration.  

Best of Luck to Murray!  Will think about them if I make it to crappie fish this month!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...