Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best OC's

Featured Replies

Just a little fun off season topic.  I've had this discussion with many friends over the years so I thought I would post.  What playing positions do you think makes for the best Offensive Coordinators.  Just opinion obviously.  Here's mine. 

Best are former QB's and Olinemen. 

Wide receivers from time to time.  

Hardly ever find good OC's that were RB's or TE's. 

Obviously just for fun, but what is everyone's opinion?

The guy with the best PLAYERS will be the best OC regardless of position lol.

I think you said it best when you said QB or Offensive lineman. With all the new offensive schemes today vs just the I-Formation, these kids come out of High School and College with a head full of knowledge. Then add the fact that they play about as much online with the games and their knowledge is unlimited. 

11 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Just a little fun off season topic.  I've had this discussion with many friends over the years so I thought I would post.  What playing positions do you think makes for the best Offensive Coordinators.  Just opinion obviously.  Here's mine. 

Best are former QB's and Olinemen. 

Wide receivers from time to time.  

Hardly ever find good OC's that were RB's or TE's. 

Obviously just for fun, but what is everyone's opinion?

You can't pigeon hole. Good OC's come from everywhere. There have been good OC's in the NFL that didn't play football (Think Charlie Weis). What you do AFTER your playing career is what really dictates your ability to coach. Positions you coach, coaches you work for, responsibilities you have, clinics and other learning opportunities you take advantage of in the off season all have way more impact than the position you played. Just in my own personal example, despite playing defense and very little offense (I was a TE/RB on those rare occasions I played offense in high school), I had more success and was more comfortable and I feel I did a better job calling offense than defense when I coached. I think a lot of that was the studying I did and work I put in to learn offense when I was forced to take on that role. No one becomes a good coach with just what they learned while playing, and I always recommend to new coaches that they stretch themselves and get out of their comfort zone to learn new things. 

11 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Just a little fun off season topic.  I've had this discussion with many friends over the years so I thought I would post.  What playing positions do you think makes for the best Offensive Coordinators.  Just opinion obviously.  Here's mine. 

Best are former QB's and Olinemen. 

Wide receivers from time to time.  

Hardly ever find good OC's that were RB's or TE's. 

Obviously just for fun, but what is everyone's opinion?

I don't think you can say one position group makes better OC's without some kind of hard data. I can say that, anecdotally, you can get a pretty good idea of the OC's philosophy based on their old position group. Qb's and Wr's, probably more spread and air raid type guys. Olinemen will probably be the ones keeping wishbone, wing T and triple option alive. You have to block power football to really appreciate it sometimes.

There are always exceptions, but you don't see many gunslingers choosing to run the double wing where the QB is the lead blocker.

2 hours ago, HedgeHog8 said:

I don't think you can say one position group makes better OC's without some kind of hard data. I can say that, anecdotally, you can get a pretty good idea of the OC's philosophy based on their old position group. Qb's and Wr's, probably more spread and air raid type guys. Olinemen will probably be the ones keeping wishbone, wing T and triple option alive. You have to block power football to really appreciate it sometimes.

There are always exceptions, but you don't see many gunslingers choosing to run the double wing where the QB is the lead blocker.

Again, I believe what you do after your playing career has more influence. Philosophies develop over time, and are often mixtures of the various coaches you've worked under, things you've studied. If not, teams with coaches in their 50's would still be running power football and I formations, and only the younger guys would be running spread. Your football ideas don't stop developing after your playing days are done. Otherwise football would never evolve. 

Find out what position that Chris Pardue played. That would be my pick. 

On 2/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, ChiefSmoke said:

Find out what position that Chris Pardue played. That would be my pick. 

I'm pretty sure Coach Pardue was a WR wasn't he?  ☺️

  • Author
1 hour ago, Hatz said:

I'm pretty sure Coach Pardue was a WR wasn't he?  ☺️

QB

No matter what position the OC played he better know OL play. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.