Championship Memories

Now that the newest class of champions have been crowned, let's take a trip down memory lane and reflect on some of the random or maybe just outstanding plays or circumstances you remember from a title game. 

For me, being that today marked the 13th anniversary of Tilghman's 2009 title team, it brought me back to some notes on the game that I had and something most likely that won't happen again. 

There were 9 turnovers in the 1st half of that game, 3 by Tilghman and 6 by Somerset. I don't recall any game, championship or not with that many in a half. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TilghmanPride said:

Now that the newest class of champions have been crowned, let's take a trip down memory lane and reflect on some of the random or maybe just outstanding plays or circumstances you remember from a title game. 

For me, being that today marked the 13th anniversary of Tilghman's 2009 title team, it brought me back to some notes on the game that I had and something most likely that won't happen again. 

There were 9 turnovers in the 1st half of that game, 3 by Tilghman and 6 by Somerset. I don't recall any game, championship or not with that many in a half. 

My son was the sophomore right tackle for Somerset in that game.  The early pick six set the tone in that one and Somerset never could get their offense going.  The quarterback had tweaked his ankle pretty good the week before and just didn't have the normal zip on his passes.  That being said, it was a one score game into the 2nd half when PT was gifted a touchdown.  The receiver caught a ball on the Somerset sideline and stepped out of bounds around midfield.  The ref didn't see it and he kept going for a touchdown. I had commissioned @theguru to take pictures that day--he might still have a picture of it.  I was in the set that was posted.  PT might have ended up scoring anyway, but that one pretty much sealed it with the way their defense was playing that day.  No way we were scoring twice. They were everywhere.  Great story, I just hate that it happened against us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our Link Policy reads in part:

III. When any member posts a link to a 3rd party website, that link MUST be accompanied by meaningful commentary in the post explaining why the link has been shared. This is intended to provide insight about the link without forcing anyone to leave BGP in order to understand the subject matter, as well as continuing to generate organic discussion in the thread rather than completely directing attention elsewhere. Meaningful commentary could include questions (one simple question will not be sufficient) intended to stem discussion, it can be some personal observations about the topic of the link, or it could simply be a summary in the member’s own words about what is contained in the link.

I’m sure everyone will bring up the Beechwood vs Murray 1994 Class A state title game where Murray still thinks they won that game when Greg threw the ball up in the air in celebration when the ref blew the whistle.  I remember it very well for that play but other plays as well. I was part of the game winning 52 yard touchdown run where Brett took the pitch and raced down the right sideline. I still remember what the play was called. I still remember the refs name who made the right call. 

• Like 1

I would have to say the 2009 4A game Boyle vs Lone Oak. Back and forth game that went into 2 over times. Lone Oak was forced to kick a field goal in the 2 OT. Boyle ended up going for it on 4th and 1 and scoring. Many Lone Oak fans still do not think he got in. I remember all the images circulating around the internet from Lone Oak and Boyle fans each trying to show he was in or not in depending one which side you were on. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

My son was the sophomore right tackle for Somerset in that game.  The early pick six set the tone in that one and Somerset never could get their offense going.  The quarterback had tweaked his ankle pretty good the week before and just didn't have the normal zip on his passes.  That being said, it was a one score game into the 2nd half when PT was gifted a touchdown.  The receiver caught a ball on the Somerset sideline and stepped out of bounds around midfield.  The ref didn't see it and he kept going for a touchdown. I had commissioned @theguru to take pictures that day--he might still have a picture of it.  I was in the set that was posted.  PT might have ended up scoring anyway, but that one pretty much sealed it with the way their defense was playing that day.  No way we were scoring twice. They were everywhere.  Great story, I just hate that it happened against us.  

I agree with the you that the early pick six set the tone for the game.Somerset did have one heck of a QB that year!

• Like 1

The 2013 and 2014 4A finals both featured Highlands, with the Birds experiencing both ends of the spectrum.

Agony in 2013, as Collins' backup quarterback threw the game winning touchdown on - I think - the last play of the game to snap the Birds' run of six straight titles. The backup was only in because the starter's helmet came off on the previous play and he was forced to sit out a snap. Much like Bullitt East this year, that one was also straight from the pages of a Hollywood script.

Ecstasy the following year as Highlands had to rally from a three score halftime deficit to beat Owensboro. The Devils couldn't be stopped in the first half, scoring all 42 of their points before Highlands outscored them 28-0 in the second. The Birds picked off three passes in the fourth quarter: the first was a pick-six to tie the game at 42, the second led to the eventual game winning score, and the third happened inside the final minute to clinch the win.

As I'm reliving all this over again in my head, I'm actually feeling nostalgic for Highlands' glory days. 

• Like 5

I remember the the 2013 game pretty well (Had a young man who was on that team recently work on my house and talked about it), but had no clue Highlands was down that much in 2014. My favorite memory would be the 2006 1A final between NCC and Danville. Danville just had to get the first down on 3rd and 1 and the ball game was over. The QB/Center exchange was botched, NCC fell on it and scored on a long screen pass to win the game. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, Jason Bucklen said:

I’m sure everyone will bring up the Beechwood vs Murray 1994 Class A state title game where Murray still thinks they won that game when Greg threw the ball up in the air in celebration when the ref blew the whistle.  I remember it very well for that play but other plays as well. I was part of the game winning 52 yard touchdown run where Brett took the pitch and raced down the right sideline. I still remember what the play was called. I still remember the refs name who made the right call. 

I was standing right behind the end zone with assistant commissioner Larry Boucher when that play occured before going into the locker room to prepare to officiate next game. He looked at me and said "I think we have a problem".....I replied "yes YOU do " lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

I was standing right behind the end zone with assistant commissioner Larry Boucher when that play occured before going into the locker room to prepare to officiate next game. He looked at me and said "I think we have a problem".....I replied "yes YOU do " lol.

You know I didn’t know what had happened until we got into the locker room. When I saw everyone running down there I thought there was a huge fight. You did the Danville vs BE vs Danville game? I wonder what ever happened to that ref. 

• Like 1

Going to show my young age here, but the 2020 Double Doink in the LCA vs. Beechwood game will live in my mind forever. All of us were sure he was going to make that field goal. We were watching him drill them from 10 yards past that in warm ups. That game was one for the ages. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

You know I didn’t know what had happened until we got into the locker room. When I saw everyone running down there I thought there was a huge fight. You did the Danville vs BE vs Danville game? I wonder what ever happened to that ref. 

It was his last game before retirement. My sons and dad all called me that night and next day to make sure it wasn't me lol. Danville was loaded. Bullitt East just couldn't match their speed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Needless to say that our pre-game conference was very interesting..... especially when the commissioner paid us a visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 9068 said:

It was his last game before retirement. My sons and dad all called me that night and next day to make sure it wasn't me lol. Danville was loaded. Bullitt East just couldn't match their speed.

That was one heck of a way to retire! Lol 

Do you know if he’s still alive? 

• Like 1