Pikeville 41 Raceland 9 (1A State Championship)

theguru

Pikeville opened the game with a Blake Birchfield 85 yard run to put Pikeville up 6 to 0.  Raceland drove down the field and kicked a FG to make it 6 to 3.  After Raceland blocked a Pikeville punt they fumbled on 4th down and Pikeville’s Deonte Stevens went 73 yards to the house and after a 2pt conversion Pikeville was up 14 to 3 with 330 left in the 1st quarter.  An Isaac Duty to Wade Hensley touchdown pass on the last play of the half closed out the scoring with Pikeville leading 21 to 3 at the half.

The Rams got the ball to start the second half and went 3 and out.  Pikeville drove down the field on the back of Blake Birchfield capped with a 12 yard TD run to make it 28 to 3 Pikeville with 544 left in the 3rd quarter.  Raceland answered immediately with a Logan Lundy to Mason Lykins 38 yard TD pass to make it 28 to 9 with 342 left in the 3rd quarter.  Pikeville answered with another Blake Birchfield 37 yard touchdown to make it 34 to 9 Pikeville with 1026 left in the game.  After Raceland went for it on 4th and long in their own territory Pikeville scored again on a Carson Wright 6 yard run to make it 41 to 9 with 501 left in the game.  41 to 9 was the final score.

Congrats Pikeville! Congrats Coach McNamee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to Pikeville. The best A team all year with the best A player finishes off the season just as most thought they would. They made big plays when they needed them. 

Congratulations to Raceland as well. A great season by any standards. Raceland was clearly the second best team in A I thought. There have been some years in A that I feel this Raceland team could have won the state title, but Pikeville was a bit ahead of the pack this year. 

• Like 3

Congratulations to Pikeville, they played a great game and like they say, "defense wins championships" and their defense did not disappoint shutting down a fast paced productive offense.  

Great season for my Rams.  They accomplished much and made it back to the State Championship game.  I expect them to be back, as will Pikeville, maybe next season for both, as they both have a lot of returning experienced talent.  

• Like 3