Beechwood 26 Newport Central Catholic 9

BWTigers

• theguru changed the title to Beechwood 26 Newport Central Catholic 9
5 minutes ago, theguru said:

Sounded like a pretty strong effort by NCC. 

Very much so Beechwood still has some work to do for the later rounds. 2 kickoffs returned for TD’s but 1 was called back so the Special Teams need some work. Clay Hayden struggled in the first half but came alive in the 2nd half. Defense had a hard time getting off the field the entire first half but got 3 turnovers in the 2nd half. Gotta get off to fast starts and keep that momentum. I like how the coaches let Hayden air it out early and kept the confidence in him. The run game took a bit to get going as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BWTigers said:

Very much so Beechwood still has some work to do for the later rounds. 2 kickoffs returned for TD’s but 1 was called back so the Special Teams need some work. Clay Hayden struggled in the first half but came alive in the 2nd half. Defense had a hard time getting off the field the entire first half but got 3 turnovers in the 2nd half. Gotta get off to fast starts and keep that momentum. I like how the coaches let Hayden air it out early and kept the confidence in him. The run game took a bit to get going as well.

Thought I read elsewhere Harney was QB in the game and threw a TD?

23 minutes ago, theguru said:

Sounded like a pretty strong effort by NCC. 

9 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

LS, some misinformation. Was Hayden all night. 

That’s a shame. Can’t understand why a talented kid gets buried on a bench with zero reps. Love the Tigers but this is just puzzling to this football fan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueboy11 said:

Looks like they don't need him or want him. 

Oh, from what I’m following they could definitely use his escapability and court awareness back. I wasn’t there tonight, but sounded on the radio like NCC committed to stopping the run, we’re very successful overall, and the new BW air raid offense still didn’t takeoff. Wish I woulda listened to whole game to know for sure. All I know is after watching Hergott under center last 4 years the Beechies are at their best jamming it down your throat mixing in the pass. some screens, short curls, then when they fall asleep pop McCormick long. I trust in the process but dress rehearsals are now over. One and done here on out…….  Anyways, back to the hot tub. ✌️

21 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

Oh, from what I’m following they could definitely use his escapability and court awareness back. I wasn’t there tonight, but sounded on the radio like NCC committed to stopping the run, we’re very successful overall, and the new BW air raid offense still didn’t takeoff. Wish I woulda listened to whole game to know for sure. All I know is after watching Hergott under center last 4 years the Beechies are at their best jamming it down your throat mixing in the pass. some screens, short curls, then when they fall asleep pop McCormick long. I trust in the process but dress rehearsals are now over. One and done here on out…….  Anyways, back to the hot tub. ✌️

I agree ... the hot tube is probably a good place ... or at least watching a little film before you comment on something you didn't even see. 

12 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I agree ... the hot tube is probably a good place ... or at least watching a little film before you comment on something you didn't even see. 

What’s a hot tube?  Lol. Seriously though, So sorry to upset you. It’s just puzzling to this fan. And this fan is entitled to his opinion having seen what I’ve seen. Whether you agree or not. 

43 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

Not sure which broadcast you were listening to but NCC definitely was not committed to stopping the run. They ran a three man front. It was more about Beechwood trying too much passing early.

The Beechwood offense is still struggling to find a rhythm. I agree with you that they need to stay focused on the run game. They tried to go with the passing game early and went 3 and out on their first two possessions. They had McCormick open early on two long passes but Hayden overthrew him. The more they went to the run focus on offense, the better the offense got. Once they got the running game going, Hergott did a really nice job of play calling using play action passes. Hayden got it going in the second half. Hit McCormack on a couple slants that were on the money. McCormack had a very good game. Hayden's  last TD pass to Cusick was an absolute thing of beauty deep down the middle right between two defenders, hit Cusick in stride. That offense we saw in the second half is how Beechwood needs to attack. 

• Like 2

Congratulations to Beechwood.  You are a well-coached team.  NCC defense played well in the first half. Turnovers put the defense in bad field position in the second half.  NCC offense never really got rolling. Overall, I thought NCC defense played pretty well.  Runyon was the best player on the field tonight. Two kickoffs returned for TD's.  Unfortunately, one was called back for a penalty.  Beechwood kept pounding the ball. I wasn't overly impressed with Beechwoods passing game.  NCC did not appear to make any adjustments on offense or defense during the game.  Hard to stop a team like Beechwood with NCC running a three-man front on defense.  NCC had to many turnovers to stay close to a team like Beechwood.   That being said, I think both teams will make a deep run in the playoffs. I am sure NCC will get things on track next week and the following weeks.  They have the talent.  They just need throw a couple of wrinkles on offense with some personnel to change things up. 

• Like 1