Jump to content

Albert Pujols >>Hits 700th HR<<


Recommended Posts

Albert is wrapping up his Hall of Fame career this month. As great of a player as he is (one of the greatest ever) he is an even better human. The last couple of years have been pedestrian by his lofty standards and he announced that this season, back home in St. Louis, would be his last.

On July 9th he was batting .198 with 4 homeruns on the season. In just the last 19 games he has hit 8 homeruns and batted .393!

Now for the exciting part. He is 2 HR from tying Alex Rodriguez (696) for 4th place all-time and just 6 away from becoming only the fourth MLBer to hit 700 homeruns, trailing only Bonds (762), Aaron (755) and Ruth (714).

I've never been a Cardinals fan or even liked them in the least, but I'll be rooting hard for Albert Pujols to get to 700!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're the opposing pitcher, Pujols comes up and needs just one for #700.  

1. You're team's down big or you're team's up big.  Do you give Pujols a pitch to hit?

2. It's his last at bat for season, your team's not going anywhere, do you give him a pitch to hit?

3. Tight game, you're already playoff bound and it's Pujols' last at bat before he retires, do you give him a pitch to hit?

(Barring injury, I think he'll get it done, St. Louis has about 25 games left)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

You're the opposing pitcher, Pujols comes up and needs just one for #700.  

1. You're team's down big or you're team's up big.  Do you give Pujols a pitch to hit?

2. It's his last at bat for season, your team's not going anywhere, do you give him a pitch to hit?

3. Tight game, you're already playoff bound and it's Pujols' last at bat before he retires, do you give him a pitch to hit?

(Barring injury, I think he'll get it done, St. Louis has about 25 games left)

Nothing should be any different from normal for the pitcher.  His goal should be to strike Pujols out or get him to him the ball to a fielder who could record the out.  If you ask Pujols, I bet he wouldn't want it any other way.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Nothing should be any different from normal for the pitcher.  His goal should be to strike Pujols out or get him to him the ball to a fielder who could record the out.  If you ask Pujols, I bet he wouldn't want it any other way.  

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree nkpete.  You just don't compromise your competitiveness.  However, you know the scenarios I posted have happened during MLB history.

(I'll forever remember Gene Garber of Braves acting like he had won the National League pennant after striking out Pete Rose to end his hit streak at 44 games.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, OlDog75 said:

I agree nkpete.  You just don't compromise your competitiveness.  However, you know the scenarios I posted have happened during MLB history.

(I'll forever remember Gene Garber of Braves acting like he had won the National League pennant after striking out Pete Rose to end his hit streak at 44 games.)

This one isn't regular season, but you'll never convince me the Cal Ripken Jr. HR in his final ASG wasn't grooved for him. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Expound please, I'm lost as to what you're talking about here.

Throwing at hitters after a HR, stealing a base if you're ahead 6-0, bunting for a hit in the 7th inning to break up a no hitter in a 3-0 game, grooving an 85mph fastball to a guy trying to break a record, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jumper_Dad changed the title to Albert Pujols >>Hits 700th HR<<
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.