Lyon County's Travis Perry lands an offer from UK

Doesn’t need to be ready now. Still has 2 years to improve.

My take: This is Cal’s exit strategy. He is going to get a few more kids that are going to stick around so when he leaves (after the 23 season is my prediction) the cupboard is not bare.

Therio, Sheppard, and Perry should all still be in the fold. Recruit another local like J Johnson out of Woodford Co and the new coach will have some players to work with.

3 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Doesn’t need to be ready now. Still has 2 years to improve.

My take: This is Cal’s exit strategy. He is going to get a few more kids that are going to stick around so when he leaves (after the 23 season is my prediction) the cupboard is not bare.

Therio, Sheppard, and Perry should all still be in the fold. Recruit another local like J Johnson out of Woodford Co and the new coach will have some players to work with.

There is something up with Cal imo. Seems very early to offer this kid imo. 2 years from now with the transfers and recruits a lot of moving parts on a roster. 

• Like 1

Does Calipari use all scholarships available? It seems like he usually has 10 or 11 players that I would call recruits. I'm probably wrong on this just going from memory but 11 recruited players leaves scholarships unused. If that is the case, give a scholarship or two to the in state player who has a legit chance to earn playing time.

On 6/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, Falcon Pride said:

Could be. I said for years - and this is when he was going to Final Fours frequently - that the guy who followed Cal was going to have a rough first couple of years.  Most of the roster leaves his final year, as it did about every year, and the new guy, whomever it was, wouldn’t fill the empty spots with 5 stars, like Cal did annually.  Result:  an awful next season.  Maybe he’s figuring out a sort of bridge, a new approach that won’t result in falling off a cliff that way.

As for Perry, I’ve watched him since the 6th grade.  Really skilled, really smart.  Might be 6’0, tops.  And not much athleticism at all. He’s basically Richie Farmer.  Unless Cal is really changing everything, hard to see him playing much at Kentucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Could be. I said for years - and this is when he was going to Final Fours frequently - that the guy who followed Cal was going to have a rough first couple of years.  Most of the roster leaves his final year, as it did about every year, and the new guy, whomever it was, wouldn’t fill the empty spots with 5 stars, like Cal did annually.  Result:  an awful next season.  Maybe he’s figuring out a sort of bridge, a new approach that won’t result in falling off a cliff that way.

As for Perry, I’ve watched him since the 6th grade.  Really skilled, really smart.  Might be 6’0, tops.  And not much athleticism at all. He’s basically Richie Farmer.  Unless Cal is really changing everything, hard to see him playing much at Kentucky.

That's a fair enough assessment for Perry on your end, I've really got nothing to go off of.  On the other side, hard to pass on a kid that's gonna break records in Kentucky at the high school level. Even harder to watch him go to Tennessee or Louisville and average double figures if his game does transition well into college. 

On 6/30/2022 at 1:47 AM, sportsfan41 said:

That's a fair enough assessment for Perry on your end, I've really got nothing to go off of.  On the other side, hard to pass on a kid that's gonna break records in Kentucky at the high school level. Even harder to watch him go to Tennessee or Louisville and average double figures if his game does transition well into college. 

Lets don't forget that he's playing for his dad at Lyon County.  He will have plenty of shots.

In state talent has not produced as hyped lately, as they are not used to playing with types of players on the roster who were all stars as well. Team chemistry has been lacking, no roll players. This past years team was as good a team as we have had lately in my opinion.