Philadelphia Phillies

When the Phillies signed Castellanos, I decided I was putting some money on them to win the WS. I doubt they will but wanted a reason to pay any attention to baseball this year, besides the Reds. Got them at +3000 by the time I put the bet in.

Their lineup is nasty. Pitching might be an issue but I am looking forward to following them this year.

• Like 2

The Phillies are an enigma.  They always seem loaded with talent, but something never clicks.   Then you get years like 92, 93, and 2008 and 9, where they do play like the best team in baseball, only to drop back off the map for a decade or so.

10 minutes ago, The Raven said:

The fact that that man still has his job is astounding.

Schwarber basically saying, you're screwing both teams over with how bad you are, probably using several words that would give me a Word Filter Violation on here, had me laughing.

So bad.

• 1 month later...

The Phillies fired Manager Joe Girardi and won three straight, including a big come from behind win in the 9th yesterday.

They've played arguably the hardest schedule in baseball thus far.  They are 11 games behind the Mets for the division, so it looks like they will have to fight for a Wild Card, which they are currently 4.5 games back.

42 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Cool chart. Where did you get that?

Two of those red dots (#2 and the high pitch) are so bad they call into question his integrity. It is hard to miss calls that bad unless it is on purpose.

Part of the reason why I have been swayed over to the "dark side" of robo-umps behind the plate, is that too many times you see a guy get rewarded for hitting a spot, even if it's outside/inside...or the opposite, being penalized for missing his spot, even though it's a strike.  Plus catchers are trying to frame each and every pitch...so, what was a perfect, edge-of-the-zone painted strike, gets called a ball because the ump thinks the catcher did a frame-job on it.  Or the ball that's legitimately outside gets called a strike because the ump's reading the catcher's mitt after the framing.  It makes it extremely hard for even the good umps, let alone the Angel Hernandez's of the world.