George Rogers Clark 43 Warren Central 42 (Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

13 minutes ago, ColonelMike said:

DF - I have to tip the hat to WC....I wasn't a believer in the Fourth this year.    Warren Central made a believer out of me.    Impressive tournament. 👍

They play some good basketball down in Bowling Green! 

• Like 2

Also, having viewed the next to last play in slow motion now that I'm home, my verdict is that Glover was not fouled, but there is no doubt that they blew the call on it being off GRC.  Central deserved a chance for the win, but it still would've been tough.  Only one second left, you don't know what kind of shot you'll get.

The players seemed to have the right attitude about it in the quotes that I've seen.  The Courier article had Glover saying "I felt like it went off (the defender’s) foot, but the ref made a call that went the other way".  Good attitude about it - you felt like it was wrong but the call was made.

2 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

As a neutral observer of all three games on Saturday, I was disappointed in the lack of support for Warren Central. Great Team, no fan support for a state semifinal and final.

The results of years of demographic change including poverty, erosion of alumni support due to new schools and changing lines, and then ultimately, apathy. It hurt my heart. If they’re back next year, sadly, you can be sure you won’t see anything different. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DragonFire said:

The results of years of demographic change including poverty, erosion of alumni support due to new schools and changing lines, and then ultimately, apathy. It hurt my heart. If they’re back next year, sadly, you can be sure you won’t see anything different. 

DragonFire speaks with great emotion and accuracy.  10 years ago, WC was a place that competed at high levels  in multiple sports.  The decline has been dramatic and highlights the quality job that has been done by William Unseld.  His ability to keep WCHS Basketball attractive, competitive, and successful has been something that few could have accomplished.  

• Like 5

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums (i.e. bet, over/under, spread, parlay, chips, line, odds). All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

2 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

As a neutral observer of all three games on Saturday, I was disappointed in the lack of support for Warren Central. Great Team, no fan support for a state semifinal and final.

Every high school has their own unique situations, economic, geographic and otherwise. Hopefully you realize that WC fans really didn’t really have time to decide and drive to the championship after their semifinal ended at 3:30.  I was disappointed in both Henry Clay and GRC’s turnouts for their 1st round games even though both were highly ranked, are 2 of the largest high schools in the state, and are both only minutes away from Rupp. Covington Catholic had much fewer after the 1st round and Murray didn’t have that many, but they are the farthest away and had late games. And gas is not cheap…

Their wasn't any Warren Central fans at the semifinals either? The school administration should feel responsible for some of this. They need to find a way to incentivize students to get on a bus on a Saturday and ride up to Lexington to support a high school basketball program. Most programs have the opportunity to be in the state semifinals/ finals rarely. The lack of fanbase for Warren Central and Covington Catholic in the semifinals was noticeable not only to me but other people sitting around me. 

My take on semifinals and finals in the same day is that this is too much for kids in one day and I know the coaches don't like it either. GRC and Lincoln County battled thru two overtimes and the winner had to come back several hours later and compete for a state title. Do the semifinals on a Saturday and the finals on a Sunday!

I have my own sinister thoughts on why both are done on the same day. After the second semifinal game, there are three and a half hours before the final game. The ability to generate record sales at local restaurants and pubs around Rupp Arena for those three and a half hours seems like a goldmine that the KHSAA and the city of Lexington cannot pass up.