BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 5 Review and Rankings:

BluegrassPreps.com 9th Region Week 5 Review and Rankings: 

Happy New Year 2022 everyone!!!

With another week of holiday classics behind us, Week 5 in the 9th Region has wrapped up with more in-region games on tap, and an All 'A' Classic on the horizon starting Jan 10. 

Noteworthy tid bits from Week 5:

Covington Catholic nicely represented the 9th Region in their annual trip to the Villages in Florida going 2-1, losing only to 41st ranked team in the country Orlando Christian Prep (FL) 61-58. 

Highlands hosted a very exciting Carespring Holiday Classic that included Cooper, Cincinnati Christain Hills Academy, and a very tough Vestavia team out of Alabama. Vestavia won both of their games first against Highlands 78-74, then 80-75 in an overtime thriller with Cooper. Both of Cooper's games went into overtime where they first took down Cincinnati Christian Hills Academy 66-63 before losing the heartbreaker against Vestavia. Both nights were full of some awesome basketball!

Conner and Holy Cross both partook in the City of Middletown Holiday Classic at Eastern, both faring well with Conner taking home the big prize as classic champs!

Lloyd and Beechwood both played in the Central Bank Jim Rose Classic at Lexington Christian with Lloyd making it to the finals only to lose to #12 ranked McCracken County out of Region 1, 48-28. 

Ryle made it to the finals of the Dan Swartz Classic hosted by Bath County out of Region 16, losing only to the hosts 73-41. 

Boone County went 2-0 in their visit to Region 10's Nicholas County's Holiday Classic. 

Let's take a look at the rankings:

1). Covington Catholic - (12-2) 

The Colonels made the trip to Florida for their annual visit for the prestigious classic at the Villages, and went 2-1 losing only to the 41st ranked team in the country Orlando Christian Prep (FL) 61-58. Their first game scheduled against Barlow (FL) was cancelled due to Covid, so they played Roswell (GA) instead, and comfortably took care of them 75-56. Their 3rd games was against The Villages Charter (FL) where again they won commandingly 81-60. The Colonels get to chill much of this coming week having only one game at home against neighbor rivals Beechwood on Jan. 7. 

2). Highlands - (8-4)

The Birds hosted the very exciting 2 night Carespring Holiday Classic that included Cooper, Cincinnati Christian Hills Academy, and a very tough Vestavia team out of Alabama. Highlands lost their first game in a thriller against Vestavia 78-74, and then shot the lights out the next night against a pretty good Cincinnati Christian Hills Academy team 91-56. The Bluebirds have a busy week ahead first hosting the Jacob Meyer led Holy Cross Indians on Jan. 3, travelling to Newport on Jan. 6 for a 36th district seeding game, then hitting the road on Jan. 8th play a very tough top of the 16th Region team Ashland Blazer who just won their own prestigious Invitational. 

3). Cooper - (10-3)

The Cooper Jaguars are having quite an impressive season after last season's dismal one. Very nice bounce back for a Coach Sully team traditionally known to be in the thick of things in the 9th Region. The Jags played two nailbiting overtime games in the Caresping Holiday Classic at Highlands, first taking down Cincinnati Christian Hills Academy 66-63, then losing a heartbreaker to a tough Vestavia team out of Alabama 80-75. As a team I believe that they grew leaps and bounds by playing in this awesome classic proving to themselves to never never quit. In their game against CCHA they were down twice in the game by 11 but kept fighting back to ultimately win. The same never quit ethos was in full effect against Vestavia, and though they lost, it certainly had to be a moral victory for them as they had aboslutely nothing to hang their heads about in this loss. This coming week sees them travelling to the Hill at Newport Central Catholic on Jan. 5, and then on Jan. 8 they travel to 10th Region's George Rogers Clark to partake in the Tim Short Automotive Classic with a game against the David Henley coached Eastern Eagles. 

4). Dixie Heights - (8-3)

The Red Colonels hosted the Hurricane Tigers out of West Virginia, and lost in a close one 55-52, then comfortably took down a struggling Scott High Eagles who have started their season 1-11, 57-29. This coming week sees Dixie in a 34th District seeding game against St. Henry on Jan. 4 which very well could be a decent game, then on Jan. 7 they travel to Union, Ky to take on the Ryle Raiders in a game that could tell us alot about how close these two teams are as well as the level of parity in the 9th this season. 

5). Conner - (10-3)

The Cougars by merit of winning the City of Middletown Holiday Classic at Eastern that also included Holy Cross, get bumped up a spot to Number 5. Junior guard Landen Hamilton continues to woo and lead Conner in scoring with about a 20 ppg average, but the Cougars are not just a one trick pony having a dependable supporting cast of junior hot hand Ayden Lohr, and Daniel Campbell to help with the offensive output. As the Cougars just finally edged a hair over Holy Cross in the rankings, we get to see just who's boss between the two as they face off with each other on Jan. 4 in Hebron. On Jan. 7 sees the Cougars in a 33rd District seeding game at Boone. Co. 

6). Holy Cross - (9-3)

The rankings are getting so awfully crowded that I reluctently over the last couple of weeks have dropped the Indians from Number 4 to Number 6 without much justification. They continue to improve and impress as they're beginning to find more offense from players not named Jacob Meyer. They went 2-1 in the City of MIddletown Holiday Classic where they lost to the hosts Eastern, the same team that Conner beat. For those keeping track, Meyer is presently holding an impressive 41.5 ppg average that's probably tops in the state, and close to Robertson County's Justin Becker. The Indians really get the chance to show just what they're made of this coming week as they travel to Highlands to take on the Birds Jan. 3, then to Conner to take on the Cougars Jan. 4. 

7). Ryle - (8-5)

The sharp shooting Donovan Robinson led Ryle Raiders are proving to be a team to be reckoned with as they impressively landed themselves into the finals of the Dan Swartz Holiday Classic hosted by 16th Region's Bath County. They first beat West Carter 89-65, then Region 14's Estill County 94-61, to then losing to the hosts Bath County 73-41. They've a tough week ahead as they host the 2nd best team in the 10th Region, the Mason County Royals on Jan. 4, then another home game against the ever tough Dixie Heights Colonels on Jan. 7. 

8). Boone County - (8-4)

The Rebels continue to impress as they went 2-0 in the 10th Region's Nicholas County Holiday Classic first beating Region 8's Anderson County 61-51, then Region 11's Franklin County 71-46. They then lost a close one with East Central (IN) 58-54 in the East Central Indiana Invitational, then on the same day beat Holmes 68-47. They've two home games this coming week, first with Ludlow on Jan. 5, and then a 33rd Disctrict seeding game with Conner on Jan. 7.

9). Beechwood - (5-5)

The Tigers are struggling a bit to find themselves, but while they went 1-2 in the Central Bank JIm Rose Classic at Lexington Christian, they are gelling and beginning to improve as a team. They first lost to McCracken County 69-55, then to hosts Lexington Christian 66-48, then finally a commanding win against East Jessamine 77-49. They've a busy week ahead first at Lloyd on Jan. 4, a neighborhood rival game at Covington Catholic on Jan. 7, then on Jan. 8 a home game against Region 8's North Oldham. Of the 3 Oldham teams in the 8th, North Oldham has the best record at 8-5. 

10). Lloyd - (10-1)

OK...Where do I begin? I wanted so much to believe the rumors that the Juggs this season were going to be tough. While this is partially true, and hard to argue with when they began their season 10-0, and making it to the finals of the Central Bank Jim Rose Classic at Lexington Christian losing only to 12th ranked McCracken County 48-28, I'm still not sold on them. To make matters worse they just lost their one and only 3 point threat in senior Ryan Davis who is out with a meniscus knee injury. They do have quality players in Hanover College commit senior Garrett Vogelpohl, eyecatching big guy Freshman E.J. Walker and so on, but while watching their loss against McCracken County I couldn't but help to think that they have a long way to go to be considered a great team. Even though McCracken is ranked 12th in the state, they dramactically exposed Lloyd's horrendous passing game, forcing turnover after turnover and limiting them to only 8, I repeat 8 second half points. It was not a pretty sight. It was just downright frustrating. In the coming weeks they finally begin to play some tough 9th Region teams, and it's then that I expect to see the real Lloyd Juggernauts stand up, and be exposed. This week sees them with a home game against Beechwood on Jan. 4th, and while the Tigers too are struggling a bit, I'm betting that they get the win in this one as they appear to be more disciplined than the Juggs. Lloyd then goes to Dayton on Jan. 7. 

11). St. Henry - (5-5)

12). Holmes - (4-10)

13). Newport Central Catholic - (3-7)

14). Newport - (3-8)

15). Villa Madonna - (3-7)

16). Ludlow - (6-4)

17). Dayton - (4-4)

18). Heritage Academy - (3-6)

19). Bellevue - (2-10)

20). Covington Latin - (0-7)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

These rankings are pretty solid to me. Ryan Davis is a huge loss for Lloyd. I’d have them in the 7-8 range if he was healthy but now that he is out I would agree with their current ranking.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

I've been told that Garrett Vogelpohl is not committed to Hanover per his AAU coach. 

Thanks for this information. 

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

BIG GAME TONIGHT and @859Radiois covering it!

Holy Cross at Highlands! 7:30 tip

Cant wait.....

I am looking forward to it.  It should be a great game.  It is a big week for the Indians to show what kind of team they are.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Thanks for this information. 

This needed correction tells me all I need to know about your shortcomings on the Juggs outlook for the season. I look forward to revisiting this post each week as they make that assessment look silly. 

3 hours ago, Juggman said:

This needed correction tells me all I need to know about your shortcomings on the Juggs outlook for the season. I look forward to revisiting this post each week as they make that assessment look silly. 

Welcome Juggman to BGP!

I hope that you're right as I too was looking forward to the Juggs having a decent season. I'm excited for them that they were able to kick off their sesaon 10-0. They have decent pieces in Vogelpohl, Walker, Israel, and Monroe and hopefully we see them gel and improve as the season progresses. Sadly, they've lost their only 3 point scoring option in Ryan Davis to a knee injury.

If they can manage to clean up their passing game I still think they have a chance of competing with other strong 9th Region teams. If not, they'll be exposed like they were against McCracken County who forced turnover after turnover, and limited the Juggs to 8 second half points. 8 second half points screams that something really needs to be polished up, and I'll go out on a limb and say that Coach Walker would agree. 

Pre-season it was reported that Garrett Vogelpohl had committed to Hanover College, so I had nothing more to go on than that before "I gotta go to work" filled me in on the info about him. I'm not associated with the Vogelpohl's, or Lloyd Memorial's basketball program so I'm at the mercy of whatever information is available about him that circulates through word of mouth or whereever, so not sure how this "shortcoming"  as you so put it, is indicative of my outlook of the team's performance on the court.

I wish them good luck, and just like any team early to mid season, they can have things to work on, and if hard work and great fortune is on their side, they will fix their issues, and adjust and adapt, and get better.  

Please feel free to share with us your assessment of them as you're probably closer to the program than I am, and might be able to give us some insights about the team that many of us do not already know.

What are you expectations of The Juggs for this season? Where do you presently feel they belong in the rankings? How do you see them faring against other teams in the 34th district (Dixie, St. Henry) when going head to head, or how they might measure up to other teams in the Top 10? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well guess what, almost perfect timing about this debate on the reality of Lloyd's relevance everyone that doesn't want to attend in person is going to have a chance to tune in to @859Radiowho is covering this battle between #9 Beechwood @ #10 Lloyd.  

Can't wait, me watching: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Well guess what, almost perfect timing about this debate on the reality of Lloyd's relevance everyone that doesn't want to attend in person is going to have a chance to tune in to @859Radiowho is covering this battle between #9 Beechwood @ #10 Lloyd.  

Can't wait, me watching: 

Looking forward to this one. Mark Wehry does a great job calling the games on 859SportsRadio, and this is his first time ever calling a game from Lloyd. 

https://www.meridix.com/channel/?liveid=859sportsradio&fbclid=IwAR2nKb0Z0yFIEq9riqPmTPIZnod_wu58oS4oUcppTk7LKvo9jysHXbdFxAE#/schedule

In an already interesting and exciting season, Lloyd is adding an extra layer of interest. There’s certainly potential there, so it’ll be interesting to see if they can live up to the hype. 

• Like 1

The 9th Region this year is way more top loaded, and by top loaded I mean a very very clear favorite in Cov Cath.  Last season, you could have had 4-5 teams win the Region.  Realistically, the 9th Region tournament was pretty open to all but 2 teams.  With that said, this year is setting up next year for a terrific season.  

Some observations:

Lloyd is building with a strong young nucleus they'll win 2-3 district titles over the next 4 years

Cooper is back to being that threat in the 33rd

Conner and Holy Cross return a lot of 2023s

Covington Catholic will lose Rylee and Wilson but that is it and will be the favorites again.  

12 minutes ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

The 9th Region this year is way more top loaded, and by top loaded I mean a very very clear favorite in Cov Cath.  Last season, you could have had 4-5 teams win the Region.  Realistically, the 9th Region tournament was pretty open to all but 2 teams.  With that said, this year is setting up next year for a terrific season.  

Some observations:

Lloyd is building with a strong young nucleus they'll win 2-3 district titles over the next 4 years

Cooper is back to being that threat in the 33rd

Conner and Holy Cross return a lot of 2023s

Covington Catholic will lose Rylee and Wilson but that is it and will be the favorites again.  

Don't forget about the Birds, they are dressing 9 Sophomores on that Varsity Roster.  As long as those guys stick with the game and stay healthy you watch out!  This class includes big man Brody Benke who will only get stronger down low on the blocks.

But till then, let's sit back and enjoy this season.  I think Basketball is one of those sports where truly any given night the Basketball Gods could lean in your favor to knock off a team that everyone thinks is UNBEATABLE.  I have my fingers crossed that will be the case this year.

GO BIRDS!!!!!

2 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Looking forward to this one. Mark Wehry does a great job calling the games on 859SportsRadio, and this is his first time ever calling a game from Lloyd. 

https://www.meridix.com/channel/?liveid=859sportsradio&fbclid=IwAR2nKb0Z0yFIEq9riqPmTPIZnod_wu58oS4oUcppTk7LKvo9jysHXbdFxAE#/schedule

In an already interesting and exciting season, Lloyd is adding an extra layer of interest. There’s certainly potential there, so it’ll be interesting to see if they can live up to the hype. 

Thanks for the pub B-Ball-fan and Frank, but we have a sickness scare with some of my team tonight, so we're cancelling.  So bummed.  Our first Covid cancellation.  I have a really bad feeling that this is a turning point/decision day for athletics and schools.  We will see, but everyone is getting it.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Sad 1