Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry vs. Paducah Tilghman Predictions/Updates (3A State Championship)

Pirates vs. Blue Tornado 76 members have voted

  1. 1. The Kentucky 3A State Champion will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 05:00 PM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

download.thumb.jpeg.18a12e5d95cd52569fb4841572330609.jpeg

Thirty-six years later, 3A's 'best of the west' and 'beast from the east' meet again for all the marbles

Date and time: Saturday, December 4th at 12:00pm

Records: Belfry (8-6), PT (8-6)

BGP Ranking: Belfry (#7 in 3A), PT (unranked in 3A)

Series History: PT leads 1-0 all-time 

Table Setter: When two teams playing for a state tite both finished the regular season with a losing record and combined for twelve losses, there's not much hype to build on leading up to kickoff. But anyone sleeping on Belfry and Paducah Tilghman might be sleeping on the hidden gem of championship weekend. Despite poor starts to the season, both teams are peaking at the perfect time.

Though they hail from opposite ends of the Commonwealth, there is some history between these two. Belfry's first ever finals appearance came in 1985 against Tilghman, with the Blue Tornado winning that day at old Cardinal Stadium. The man captaining the pirate ship back then was the same man running the show on Pond Creek today, the incomparable Philip Haywood.

Tilghman's last title - and finals appearance - came twelve years ago, following a six loss regular season. Is it written in the stars? This is a young team playing - and winning - with gusto. That youthful exuberance could carry them to the winner's circle or they could flame out in equal measure. 

Belfry has won five state championships and been to the finals nine times since Tilghman's Cinderella run in 2009. It's hard to call Belfry Cinderella, because the Pirates are never truly out of contention in 3A. The brutal early season schedule has done its job, as has Isaac Dixon. The all-time Belfry great has been their catalyst every week. He likes the turf at Kroger Field, where he announced himself to the rest of the state two years ago in a star making performance.

Two of the most recognizable names in 3A will put a bow on the class' 2021 season. It's just a matter of picking what color of bow. Red, or blue?

  • Replies 276
  • Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Watched the Glasgow/Tilghman game. Thoughts: 1. Tilghman was better prepared and Tilghman also executed better. Glasgow shot themselves in the foot constantly on both sides of the ball, but

  • TilghmanPride
    TilghmanPride

    You are spot on in everything you said. Great analysis!  When Rider missed some games later in the season, he was severely missed. As good as James can be throwing the ball at times, Tilghman is

  • Team pic from the 1985 team that beat Belfy 29-14. This was my senior year. Lots of good times.

Posted Images

This one is a true toss up to me. It's hard to make a case either way. Tilghman will have to slow down the rush game of Belfry and Belfry will have to negate Tilghman's first truly balanced offense in quite some time. 

Hopefully someone is there to take over the updates on this one, I really think I'm just gonna soak it up and enjoy. 

 

The Glass Slipper Bowl.

2 minutes ago, TilghmanPride said:

This one is a true toss up to me. It's hard to make a case either way. Tilghman will have to slow down the rush game of Belfry and Belfry will have to negate Tilghman's first truly balanced offense in quite some time. 

Hopefully someone is there to take over the updates on this one, I really think I'm just gonna soak it up and enjoy. 

 

I will be here for updates of all the games but I like it when others help out.  After six games I am loopy. 

Just now, theguru said:

I will be here for updates of all the games but I like it when others help out.  After six games I am loopy. 

I'm sure I'll chime in from time to time. I know I can't keep quiet the whole game. Working on getting some family to take to Lexington with me right now. Never know how long it may be again, I really want to make this one special. 

1 minute ago, TilghmanPride said:

I'm sure I'll chime in from time to time. I know I can't keep quiet the whole game. Working on getting some family to take to Lexington with me right now. Never know how long it may be again, I really want to make this one special. 

You should enjoy yourself and not worry about BGP next week.   Of course chime in when you want but we got this. 

I'll take PT in a close one. Coming in with two back to back impressive wins.

I know it’s early but I’m surprised by the responses so far on this poll. PT had certainly earned their way here and they are a solid football team but how can you ever doubt Haywood and Belfry? I think they boys from the East will pull this one out in a hard fought, tough football game! Good luck to both this week! 

1 minute ago, BlueRaider said:

I know it’s early but I’m surprised by the responses so far on this pole. PT had certainly earned their way here and they are a solid football team but how can you ever doubt Haywood and Belfry? I think they boys from the East will pull this one out in a hard fought, tough football game! Good luck to both this week! 

Very easily can go either way. Could be a classic. 

Haywood is old . The speed game has passed him by. Paducah will sprint by him!

  • Author
39 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Haywood is old . The speed game has passed him by. Paducah will sprint by him!

I guess it's a good thing Haywood is coaching and not playing. The Tornado would sprint past a 70 something year old man without much trouble. Fortunately for Belfry, Dixon is not old and will be much harder to sprint past.

By the way, that old man has won a fistful of championship rings over the last eight years with teams that ran over, around, through, and past teams that play the "speed game".

48 minutes ago, The Flea Market said:

Haywood is old . The speed game has passed him by. Paducah will sprint by him!

Im gonna go with belfry 28-14.

I hate to pick against PT. I just think this will be a great learning experience for them being how young they are. 
 

Belfry-28

PT-20. 
 

PT will be the 3A favorite for the next 2-3 years and will play in Kroger quite often I believe. 

Could Deja Vu be happening again? 2009?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.