Statistics/Records with 5th year players

Will the KHSAA record book acknowledge individual records if they were broken by someone  that elected to play a 5th year? Specifically career totals. Will schools acknowledge them? Is it acceptable that a player who set a career record in 4 years or less, has that record broken by a player who played an addition year? As an example:( say it’s a state and school record) 

Player A played QB from 2000-2004, player A threw 60 career touchdowns. 

Player B played QB at the same school from 2017-2021 and obviously took the 5th year option and threw 62 career touchdowns. 

Should player B, be the new record holder? Should it be *noted player B had an addition year?

Good.  But, it appears they’re still eligible for post season awards. So be it.  It’s a rule and players/families have a right to take advantage.  

For what it’s worth, IMO, the primary difference between the grade school hold backs that everyone compares to this new rule is that the high school kids taking advantage of the rule are getting a 5th year of high school football.  While there are rare exceptions, must of the classic elementary or middle school hold backs, are still playing a traditional four years of high school football.  Or, said differently, no more than four varsity seasons (usually).  I realize there are exceptions.  

But, to be clear, I support any family that chose to take advantage of the rule offered.  I simply don’t agree with using the “it’s happened in grade school for years” logic as a parallel. This is different.  And yes, I understand that if an elementary school hold back is talented enough, he or she could play varsity football as an 8th grader and have those stats/records count.  I understand completely.  But, this would be a rare circumstance, by and large.  

Follow up…

I’m guessing the explanation around 5th year players being eligible for awards, but not have KHSAA records count stems from the fact that the awards aren’t KHSAA awards.

Also, if a kid plays varsity football as an 8th grader and let’s say he or she was held back, I believe their stats would count, as part of a five year varsity career.  So, if that’s the case, then the KHSAA is being inconsistent.  And for the record, I am supportive of the KHSAA’s stance, but I recognize the inconsistency.  I guess the difference between the two is that the 5 year 8th Grade - Senior player (held back or not) was only enrolled in the high school for four years. The high school player taking advantage of the new rule will have been enrolled in high school for five years. 

14 hours ago, WestDanville said:

No. In my my coaching clinic for the KHSAA no 5th year stats will be counted for career purposes. Only the first 4 seasons count. Came directly from Tackett’s mouth. 

Interesting, if only because 8th grade stats counted for guys like Tim Couch and Dennis Johnson before the KHSAA made a rule that you couldn't play varsity football before 9th grade.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Samcro said:

Also, if a kid plays varsity football as an 8th grader and let’s say he or she was held back, I believe their stats would count, as part of a five year varsity career.  So, if that’s the case, then the KHSAA is being inconsistent.  And for the record, I am supportive of the KHSAA’s stance, but I recognize the inconsistency.  I guess the difference between the two is that the 5 year 8th Grade - Senior player (held back or not) was only enrolled in the high school for four years. The high school player taking advantage of the new rule will have been enrolled in high school for five years. 

Kids can't play varsity football before 9th grade anymore. That rule changed some time in the mid-90s. However, kids can play "non-contact" sports before they reach high school and those statistics count. There's currently a sophomore basketball at Lyon County who has started for four years and is nearing 2,000 career points.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wonder how many reclassified seniors played varsity as freshmen? The only players truly playing 5 years of varsity are players who also played varsity as freshmen.

Probably not many.  So to state my position more clearly, I believe the high school reclassified players are far more likely to be playing an extra year of varsity sports than a traditional hold back in elementary school.  Even with hold backs/reclassification, I agree that 4 year varsity football players are very rare.

I realize not every reclassified player is a varsity player and again, I have no problem with the rule.  I just don’t believe elementary school hold backs and high school level reclassified students are an apples to apples comparison.

As far as stats go, if the KHSAA doesn’t allow 5 year players anymore (other than the possible reclassified kids for the next 3-4 years), then I guess I understand why their 5th year stats don’t count.  And if their stats don’t count, then they probably shouldn’t be eligible for post season awards either, but, that’s not the KHSAA’s jurisdiction.  

But, to take it a step further, if these kids are on the field and helping their team win a sanctioned KHSAA championship, then it’s hard to understand why the stats don’t count.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Completely ridiculous these stats across the board don't count. Regardless of the reasons, if they PLAY, their stats should count. Ridiculous and Tackett and the KHSAA shouldn't have bent the knee and put this into effect to quell the angry mobs across that state.