St. Xavier vs. Daviess County Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/2021 at 12:30 AM

St. Xavier (11-1) will host Daviess County (11-1) after defeating Manual 18-16. Daviess County defeated Henderson County 51-28. 

Previous meeting:

St. X defeated Daviess County 41-8 in 2014 playoffs.

Common opponent:

St. X defeated Owensboro 51-38

Daviess county lost to Owensboro 49-42.

St. X QB Jack Sivori led the Tigers against Manual going 14-22 for 148 yards and a TD passing. He also rushed 18 times for 115 yards plus a TD. WR M. Duddy caught 3 passes for 71 yards and a TD.

On defense, St. X yielded 102 yards rushing and 77 yards passing while also getting a safety.

Daviess County QB Joe Humphreys led the Panthers against Henderson County going 15-24 for 259 yards and 5 TD's passing. He also rushed 6 times for 65 yards and 2 TD's. Gunnar Evans rushed 13 times for 103 yards.

On defense, Daviess County yielded 275 yards rushing and 64 yards passing.

This game looks to be high scoring game with Joe Humphrey's testing the St. X secondary and St. X offense against a Daviess County defense susceptible to the rush attack of St. X. Can Daviess County roll into Louisville and get the upset or does St. X roll onto the semifinals of the 6A playoffs.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea, DC took that game on a Thursday if I am not mistaken.  They still didn't play up to par either way.  Daviess has a tall task, without a doubt.  I would put them at about a 17 point road underdog

Every time I have ever seen X in person they pass the eye test. 

In my opinion that is too much to consistently win in big boy football. I can't wait to watch tonight!

Posted Images

DC can score in bunches but they don’t have the defense to stop X.  DC I believe was down 28-7 at half to Owensboro and was ultimately down 14 (49-35) before posting a last minute score.  Owensboro ran the ball at will on DC.  As good as Henderson’s pash rush is, X is top 2 in state.

X will get some stops, I don’t think DC can stop X.  Ultimately their depth will wear down to 2-way starters for DC.

X should control tempo and make DC work slowly down field.  The purples have Coach Wallace one of the best their is.

X 49. - 21

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think St. X depth could be a factor. St. X played 47 kids against Manual according to stat sheet. If Daviess County has some kids playing both ways that will be tough on them especially in the 4th quarter.

This game reminds me of when we played Henderson Co and Will Fidler in '04. DC will move the ball and get some yards, but there will be a lot of pressure on the DC offense to score TDs on pretty much every drive. St. X will be able to run the ball effectively against a DC defense that seems to struggle stopping the run. Just like in '04, I see a 32-7 Tigers win. 

3 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

This game reminds me of when we played Henderson Co and Will Fidler in '04. DC will move the ball and get some yards, but there will be a lot of pressure on the DC offense to score TDs on pretty much every drive. St. X will be able to run the ball effectively against a DC defense that seems to struggle stopping the run. Just like in '04, I see a 32-7 Tigers win. 

Manual scored 16 and Daviess County has better offense than them. I could see this game St. X 42-28.

I went back to the OHS game against DC.  DC had to go for it several times on 4th downs even in their own territory to avoid going down 28 early.  Their first score was even a 4th down.  O went up 35-14 in the 3rd and moved to more of a prevent defense - which made it a lot easier to move the ball.  A pass was mishandled by an O WR to give a easy tipped INT.  O was up 14 49-35 and again was in prevent as DC scored very late to finish off at 49-42.   O ran through DC like a knife through butter (Wimsatt only had about 70 yards passing).   Owensboro’s defense is night and day different from then.  X has a much better defense and vastly superior depth.  Will DC be going for it on every 4th down like they did down big to O?  If so they risk the doors being blown off.  I hope DC would make a game of it, but everything points me to a major X win.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Brown said:

I went back to the OHS game against DC.  DC had to go for it several times on 4th downs even in their own territory to avoid going down 28 early.  Their first score was even a 4th down.  O went up 35-14 in the 3rd and moved to more of a prevent defense - which made it a lot easier to move the ball.  A pass was mishandled by an O WR to give a easy tipped INT.  O was up 14 49-35 and again was in prevent as DC scored very late to finish off at 49-42.   O ran through DC like a knife through butter (Wimsatt only had about 70 yards passing).   Owensboro’s defense is night and day different from then.  X has a much better defense and vastly superior depth.  Will DC be going for it on every 4th down like they did down big to O?  If so they risk the doors being blown off.  I hope DC would make a game of it, but everything points me to a major X win.

Going for it on 4th down in own territory is very risky strategy but probably didn't have a lot of confidence in their defense stopping Owensboro plus if you have good offense then going to make some of those 4th downs. I would say if St. X goes through their defense like a buzz saw then they will go for it on 4 th down. If they are getting some stops then they probably won't. I'm expecting St. X QB Sivori to have a big game.

• Like 1

I'm very interested to see the result of this. X wins but by how much? Daviess has a great Offense and an average defense so my gut says this could be a high scoring game but in the end, X has the most discipline and is able to get key stops in momentsements that Daviess can't keep up. If X jumps on them early, then I think it will be more of a blowout. When you play names like X, Trinity, or Male you already have that doubt in the back of your mind as highschool kids. If things go wrong early... then it could get ugly quick. 

• Like 1