Armadillos in Kentucky

Tigerpride94

I saw a Facebook post where someone took a pic of a Armadillo in their yard in South part of Louisville. I know they are prevalent in West part of state but never knew they were in Louisville. Apparently they are migrating North. Anybody ever seen one where you live?

19 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I saw a Facebook post where someone took a pic of a Armadillo in their yard in South part of Louisville. I know they are prevalent in West part of state but never knew they were in Louisville. Apparently they are migrating North. Anybody ever seen one where you live?

No and I had no idea Armadillos could handle the cold well enough to live in Kentucky. 

18 minutes ago, theguru said:

No and I had no idea Armadillos could handle the cold well enough to live in Kentucky. 

I read they are so prevalent in Western KY that KY Fish & Wildlife doesn't receive sighting reports of them anymore since people are just used to seeing them now.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I read they are so prevalent in Western KY that KY Fish & Wildlife doesn't receive sighting reports of them anymore since people are just used to seeing them now.

I've lived in Owensboro my whole life and don't recall hearing about armadillo's here until this year.  I've seen one on a ring video (posted of Facebook) a week or two ago and there was a dead one down towards the mall on Frederica St. around that same time.  

11 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I've lived in Owensboro my whole life and don't recall hearing about armadillo's here until this year.  I've seen one on a ring video (posted of Facebook) a week or two ago and there was a dead one down towards the mall on Frederica St. around that same time.  

They were first sighted several years ago in land between lakes area and have been spreading from there. I saw on fish & wildlife website had reports of them from different counties. Hardin, Bullitt, Jefferson, and Shelby were on there which is Metro Louisville. Oldham County wasn't on there. They said eventually will see them in every county in Kentucky.

• 5 months later...

They are prevalent in Southwestern Tennessee.  We saw several of them during our annual spring fishing trip to Pickwick Lake, which is located at the juncture of Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:38 PM, TheDeuce said:

Not gonna lie, I would be shook if I saw an armadillo in KY. 😂

Next time you hear a thump under your car...

Defensive behavior

When threatened by a predator, Tolypeutes species frequently roll up into a ball. Other armadillo species cannot roll up because they have too many plates. The North American nine-banded armadillo tends to jump straight in the air when surprised, so consequently often collides with the undercarriage or fenders of passing vehicles to its demise.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo

• Sad 1

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...