Unsportsmanlike Conduct Called for Deception?

FSfan

Just saw something I’ve never seen before. In a Tennessee first round game, Rockvale has scored a touchdown against Shelbyville to draw within 23-21 with 6 seconds to go. Rockvale goes for two to tie. They line up in shotgun formation. The QB then goes up to stand just behind and between his right guard and right tackle. The running back then shifts over directly behind the center in what looks like a wildcat formation. The QB then turns toward his sideline with his hands extended outward as if he is trying to understand what his coach is saying. He is not moving and all players are set. Then the ball is snapped to the running back but the play is immediately blown dead. “Unsportsmanlike conduct— deception” is what the referee says. 15 yard penalty. Rockvale must try to convert from the 18 and their pass is incomplete. They end up losing by 2.  

Has anyone seen this called before? I’ve seen Peyton Manning do a similar play before but didn’t know it was illegal. 

Have called unsportsmanlike foul on DEFENSE for trying to yell signals to make offense false start....in fact coach of offending team thanked me once lol. Have not called a deception foul on offense...but sometimes it looked like a fire drill and usually resulted in a motion or false start foul. 

I didn’t look at the play. If the coach or sideline is yelling back at the QB you’ll get flagged. If the QB is just making gestures toward the sideline you won’t get flagged. 

Some time in the past 10 years they adjusted/clarified the rule. Things like “this isn’t our ball” and the like we determined to be illegal. It basically comes down to now you can’t involve the sideline and/or the sideline cannot be part of the deception. So the old Peyton Manning is illegal but the old Kurt Warner act is still ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tigerallamerican said:

OC's call in audibles on plays all the time...how would that be any different??? This doesn't pass the smell test.

It has to do with the interaction. I don’t know if by forum rule I can give the exact quote but this is paraphrased. 

“I can’t define it but I know it when I see it”

If one has never seen “wrong ball” or “this isn’t our ball” then I can understand. Now that example is extreme. 

In the old Peyton Manning example he is yelling at the sideline and the sideline is yelling back. Both are acting like their is confusion or an issue. In today’s Fed football games you can’t do things like that. 

In the Kurt Warner example he just walks away from the LOS acting mad. Unsnapped his chin trap in true Warner fashion and they snap the ball. 

Like I mentioned before I haven’t seen the clip but the sideline cannot take part in the deception by acting. 

14 minutes ago, barrel said:

It has to do with the interaction. I don’t know if by forum rule I can give the exact quote but this is paraphrased. 

“I can’t define it but I know it when I see it”

If one has never seen “wrong ball” or “this isn’t our ball” then I can understand. Now that example is extreme. 

In the old Peyton Manning example he is yelling at the sideline and the sideline is yelling back. Both are acting like their is confusion or an issue. In today’s Fed football games you can’t do things like that. 

In the Kurt Warner example he just walks away from the LOS acting mad. Unsnapped his chin trap in true Warner fashion and they snap the ball. 

Like I mentioned before I haven’t seen the clip but the sideline cannot take part in the deception by acting. 

That makes more sense. If the sideline is part of the act then I see the potential issue. In any circumstance that's a bold call for an official to make at that moment in time. 

• Like 1