No More Atherton Rebels...Now The Atherton High School Ravens.

Colonels_Wear_Blue

2 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Very nice CWB.  Didn't know you were an artist.

Fun fact: My three best college scholarship offers were all for visual art. UC, Xavier, and Dayton. I opted for none of the above and went to NKU to pursue computer science, and then ended up switching to construction management two years into college.

Go figure.

14 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Remaining "Rebels" mascots in Kentucky high schools:

Boone County
Boyle County
Casey County
Owen County
Todd County Central

I posted a long Facebook post about 14 or 15 months ago supporting the need to change Boyle's nickname.  Most of the reaction I got was in opposition.  I had a couple of former teammates that were not happy at all at my support of the name change but it didn't bother me.  I still support changing it but I'm not sure it will ever happen.  I talked to a couple of administration guys who wanted to know if I would be willing to be on a committee to look at rebranding and I told them I would.  They then formed a committee of students to look at whether or not a change was needed.  Most of the committee was made up of minority students and to my knowledge they did not return a recommendation that it should be changed.  So I'm not sure it ever will.  

• Like 3

I should clarify that when I said the most of the reaction was in opposition, I meant in opposition to what I had said.  Most thought there was nothing wrong and did not support changing it.  That crew was the most vocal.  There were quite a few that messaged me privately and agreed but did not want to support in a public forum.  Which I understood. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Apparently part of the JCPS racial equity review was requiring Seneca to get rid of all Native American imagery in the school. Seneca's mascot has been the Redhawks since 1997, yet as of last year there was still a sign on the facade of the school showing the "Lonesome Polecat" Native American cartoon, as well as a 15 foot tall mural of the character on the gym wall, and a large likeness of him in the floor in on of the school's entryways.

E9V41RlX0AQ2kr2.jpg

t_0114eb3b1e3e465196cf8c6f9f6556ec_name_

t_6414ded0f4c24cd4b1e5735553f308e6_name_

77X5FRT67ZF5RGESVGKGCHC3TE.png

That logo is pretty cringeworthy.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 5:16 AM, BEChargers said:

I posted a long Facebook post about 14 or 15 months ago supporting the need to change Boyle's nickname.  Most of the reaction I got was in opposition.  I had a couple of former teammates that were not happy at all at my support of the name change but it didn't bother me.  I still support changing it but I'm not sure it will ever happen.  I talked to a couple of administration guys who wanted to know if I would be willing to be on a committee to look at rebranding and I told them I would.  They then formed a committee of students to look at whether or not a change was needed.  Most of the committee was made up of minority students and to my knowledge they did not return a recommendation that it should be changed.  So I'm not sure it ever will.  

They should definitely change it but like you said, I doubt it ever will change.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 2:14 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Not too long after JCPS announced last fall that they would be conducting racial equity reviews of all the mascots and school names in the district, Atherton announced they would be retiring their "Rebels" mascot and choosing a new one.

Atherton's School-Based Decision Making Council, made up of teachers, administrators, and a small group of elected parents, formed a mascot committee and after almost a year of school community polling, the committee presented their ideas a poll results to the SBDM Council, which voted unanimously to approve the Ravens.

The high school is going to hold a student design contest for their new official mascot.

I'm not sure whether or not this is THE official mascot. The school-based decision making council voted on the mascot change on Sep 27, announced it publicly on Sep 28 - noting that they would be holding a student design contest for the new official mascot - and the same day the football team's social media accounts started using variants of this logo, which has since started being used on other school/sports propaganda and merchandise.

If this is the official logo.....I'm underwhelmed. Especially since the purple in the raven wings doesn't go with the auburn and gold school colors.

243283425_392337602518782_88874581546149

FFhRV4FWUAAq1QS.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, Beechwoodfan said:

CWB, I cannot imagine that Cov. Cath. would ever change its mascot, nor do I think the school should.  I am curious to see if the subject has come up or if there has been any pressure to do so.

Nothing that I've ever heard, apart from some of the initial flak that the school took from some media outlets following the whole Nathan Phillips/Nick Sandmann flap in Washington DC.

• Like 1