Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Verbal Commitments

Featured Replies

What you are saying "IS" true to some degree, however I would say that 99% of Division 1A schools have offered all of their alloted scholarships for the upcoming year to their prospective student athletes "BEFORE" the signing date of Feb. 7th. They don't save scholarships or hold some back for after the signing date. Ask any Division 1 college coach and he will tell you the same thing.

 

You did make a good point though, scholarships do open up after the signing date when current prospects sign with another university and that opens up a scholarship for another player who is next in line. Also, many athletes fail to qualify academically and that opens up scholarships also but those scholarships won't open up until the summer months until after the last ACT and SAT test dates and prospects fail to qualify after the last testing dates.

 

Oldram, NAIA schools and smaller D2 and D3 schools will continue to recruit and sign kids all the way up until the end of July. However, Division 1A schools will have 99% of their recruiting class finalized before the end of the spring semester.

 

Under the circumstances that have been mentioned, if a young man has not been offered a Divison 1 scholarship prior to the Feb. 7th signing date several things could happen:

1. That young man could receiver a scholarship after one opens up due to a prospect signing with another university and one becomes available. (kind of the next best prospect in line scenerio)

2. A scholarship could open up due to a failure of a current prospect to qualify academically and being unable to accept a scholarship.

3. A scholarship could open up in the spring, due to transfers, current university players quitting the team, injuries to current players, kids quitting during spring ball, etc...

4. A scholarship could open up in the summer due to players deciding not to return to campus for the fal due to jobs, quitting the team, family crisis, etc..

5. A preferred walk-on offer could occur, which gives the athlete a chance to go prove himself on campus in the fall and earn a sholarship for the spring semester or a year later.

6. Sometimes when kids who are projected to go D1A fail to sign with a D1A school, some D1AA schools will come along with a scholarship and get a great player who slipped through the cracks of some D1A schools.

 

D1A schools are Marshall, Kentucky, Louisville, etc..

D1AA schools are Eastern Ky, Murray St, Youngstown St, James Madison, etc..

These schools will usually have their scholarships and recruiting classes in place by May. However there are always exceptions to the rule.

 

As I mentioned before, you will find that NAIA schools (KCU, Georgetown, Pikeville, Union, Cumberland, etc...) will recruit and sign kids all the way up to the end of July.

 

I hope this clears up some of the recruiting process. Ask any college coach or recruiter and he will tell you the same thing that I have mentioned here.

 

Good luck to all the 2007 seniors and I hope they end up at the school that "THEY" want to attend, not the schools that people want or expect them to attend. Face it, they are making an important decision that is going to impact them the next 4-5 years of their life and prepare them for the rest of their life.

Your last paragraph was the best i have ever came across. These boys have major pressure that they go to a school away or it really isnt college. Next if someone doesnt think that particular school is up to snuff they are told about it from their peers and adults. Its a shame this happens. What happened to being happy. Their major shoudl come first and believe it or not these boys that are going to smaller schools say the have the same excitement about maybe getting on that field and saying i play football at a college level. Your post was great.:thumb:

  • Replies 156
  • Views 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The signing period is the 1st day that kids can sign, it's not the last day. I'm glad Kasey doesn't listen to comments like yours. It's a process that changes from day to day, even hour to hour.

 

 

I wasnt taking anything away from Kasey, he is an excellent football player and could very well be the best running back that has ever put on a Russell uniform. But I just dont think he is a D1 RB. But thats just my opinion, and i wish the best for Kasey and hope he decides on a school that he has an oppurtunity to play at and a school that makes him happy.

I heard Justin Collins will go to Indiana State. Congrats to Justin. If I were a coach he'd be a great one to take a chance on!

I heard Justin Collins will go to Indiana State. Congrats to Justin. If I were a coach he'd be a great one to take a chance on!

what position does Justin play? What division is Indiana State?

I believe Collins is a Rb and Indiana State is 1AA and plays in the Gateway Football Conference which is arguably the toughest conference in 1AA.

I wasnt taking anything away from Kasey, he is an excellent football player and could very well be the best running back that has ever put on a Russell uniform. But I just dont think he is a D1 RB. But thats just my opinion, and i wish the best for Kasey and hope he decides on a school that he has an oppurtunity to play at and a school that makes him happy.

You are correct he is not a D-1 RB, he is a D-1 safety, or maybe even a slot receiver. He was 1st Team All- State DB. He does not have D1 RB speed, 4.6 is the speed of most D1 strong safeties

You are correct he is not a D-1 RB, he is a D-1 safety, or maybe even a slot receiver. He was 1st Team All- State DB. He does not have D1 RB speed, 4.6 is the speed of most D1 strong safeties

 

 

I could see him bulking up a little bit and playing linebacker.

You are correct he is not a D-1 RB, he is a D-1 safety, or maybe even a slot receiver. He was 1st Team All- State DB. He does not have D1 RB speed, 4.6 is the speed of most D1 strong safeties

 

He is not a D1 slot receiver. If he plays D1 it will be on the defensive side of the ball at either safety or outside linebacker if he bulks up. He has the frame to put on 15-20 more pounds. He is a really good defensive player, and with the chance to only concentrate on one side of the ball in college, he could become a great defensive player.

He is not a D1 slot receiver. If he plays D1 it will be on the defensive side of the ball at either safety or outside linebacker if he bulks up. He has the frame to put on 15-20 more pounds. He is a really good defensive player, and with the chance to only concentrate on one side of the ball in college, he could become a great defensive player.

3high, There is one school that says if he comes he will be a strong safety and play in spots at the slot! However his strength at the D1 level is defense. Coach McGlone thinks he would be an excellent slot. I kinda trust his judgement!;)

3high, There is one school that says if he comes he will be a strong safety and play in spots at the slot! However his strength at the D1 level is defense. Coach McGlone thinks he would be an excellent slot. I kinda trust his judgement!;)

 

He does have great hands. I think his instincts would make him an excellent safety.

He does have great hands. I think his instincts would make him an excellent safety.

Definitely agree you are right his bread and butter at the next level is on the defensive side of the ball Kasey Clark is one of the most versatile players I've seen in the state of KY!

Middlesboro's Andrew Breeding committed to Georgetown over the weekend, will sign Wednesday. Don't know if he's going to play Offense or Defense.

He is not a D1 slot receiver. If he plays D1 it will be on the defensive side of the ball at either safety or outside linebacker if he bulks up. He has the frame to put on 15-20 more pounds. He is a really good defensive player, and with the chance to only concentrate on one side of the ball in college, he could become a great defensive player.

 

 

Many D1 coaches disagree with you, along with his coaches who saw what he could do everyday. I think I'll take their opinion over yours. He could also be a D1 RB if he concentrated on doing it. Who are you to say a kid CAN'T do something.

You are correct he is not a D-1 RB, he is a D-1 safety, or maybe even a slot receiver. He was 1st Team All- State DB. He does not have D1 RB speed, 4.6 is the speed of most D1 strong safeties

 

He very well could be a D1 running back if he wanted to. With a 4.6 time, he wouldn't be too far off an average D1 RB speed. You know as well as I do that if Kasey wanted to run the ball he could, maybe not at a powerhouse school like Florida but he could somewhere like Marshall, Cincy, ect.

 

I'm sick of trying to convince these people of Kasey's abilities as I'm sure you are too. They may have seen Kasey play a handful of times or less in 4 years and think they know what he can and can't do.

Many D1 coaches disagree with you, along with his coaches who saw what he could do everyday. I think I'll take their opinion over yours. He could also be a D1 RB if he concentrated on doing it. Who are you to say a kid CAN'T do something.

 

First off, this will be my last post on this topic.

 

I have never doubted Kasey's ability to play and I have on several occasions bragged about some of his abilities. I am not an expert, but in my own personal opinion I don't see him playing offense in college IF he goes to a D1 school like Marshall, Cincy, KY, or where ever. He is a great player and I have already pointed that out in previous posts. I do not know what the college coaches are telling him nor do I question the judgment of his previous H.S. coaches. This is a open forum and I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else is on this website. I have stated that I DO believe that he CAN play defense at the D1 level, and I do think he is athletic enough to get a D1 scholarship. I have obviously touched a soft spot with you and therefore I will do no further damage to your feelings about this subject.

 

All I can say is let's wait and see what school, and level he decides to sign with, and see what side of the ball he will be playing on come the 2007 season. Will it be the D1 level? D1AA level? NAIA level? DII level? or DIII level? Who knows? Will it be on offense? Or on defense? Who knows?

 

In my opinion, although I AM NO EXPERT, I believe we will see him on the defensive side of the ball, IF, he goes D1. Best of luck to the young man where ever he goes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.