Bishop Brossart 21 Newport 7

Mustang

In a game delayed 90 minutes by lightning, mayhem ensued throughout the first few minutes of the game that included Newport recovering a loose Brossart ball on a bad snap, and returning it 25 yards for a Newport score before the fans were comfortable in their seats under their umbrellas.

The Mustangs this time failed to field the kickoff and recovered the ball at our own one yard line.  Newport returned the favor by fumbling the ball on their first offensive play, recovered by the Mustangs, and the groans could be heard all of the way to the Levee.  Beyond that point some semblance of reasonable football was restored as the Wildcats led 7-0, but would not score again for the duration of the contest.

In the second period, Brossart quarterback Jacob Leicht scored his fifth consecutive touchdown of the season, plunging 8 yards to finish off a 78 yard drive, and when Andrew Schwartz nailed the PAT we were tied at 7s.  In the first half Brossart picked up 9 first downs to Newport's one.

Early in the second half Jed Martin picked off a Newport pass and then a few plays later scored on a 31 yard run, making it 13-7 as the two-point conversion attempt failed.  The Mustangs added an insurance score late in the game as Leicht would orchestrate an 80 yard drive, while picking up five first downs, capped off by a Jed Martin touchdown run and a Jacob Leicht two-point conversion made the final score 21-7 as the Mustangs improve to 2-0 on the young season.

The Mustangs head to Bellevue this coming Thursday night for a Class 1A encounter with the Black and Gold Tigers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doubledee said:

I really hope so I have blood on both sides of that match up. It would be a really fun game for both teams.

Those are the tough games.  Although it may not be blood for me often, I still find myself in the middle of two teams I really like. 

• Like 1

Just now, theguru said:

Those are the tough games.  Although it may not be blood for me often, I still find myself in the middle of two teams I really like. 

Yea I'd stick to my Breds being a former player there but I have too many friends and relatives at Brossart and find myself going to their games more than NCC. But I get the lowdown on my Breds since the kid that lives next to my mom is a starter there.

Just now, Doubledee said:

Yea I'd stick to my Breds being a former player there but I have too many friends and relatives at Brossart and find myself going to their games more than NCC. But I get the lowdown on my Breds since the kid that lives next to my mom is a starter there.

I never root for anyone over Beechwood (where I went), just sayin'.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, theguru said:

I never root for anyone over Beechwood (where I went), just sayin'.

I agree with that. I think everyone should root for their alma mater and where their kids go to school, especially if they play football or a sport.

• Like 1