Jake Luhn is the new boys basketball coach at Newport Central Catholic.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Eleven years experience at the D1 college level.

So why does a guy with this much experience now coaching high school basketball at a parochial school no less?

I will say this, Jimmy Pangallo IS NewCath basketball just like John Wimzie is Holmes basketball.  They have the intangible that many others do not, a desire and passion to see their alma mater be successful and most importantly the respect of the kids.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

So why does a guy with this much experience now coaching high school basketball at a parochial school no less?

I will say this, Jimmy Pangallo IS NewCath basketball just like John Wimzie is Holmes basketball.  They have the intangible that many others do not, a desire and passion to see their alma mater be successful and most importantly the respect of the kids.

It's a very valid question....but he's not in uncharted territory. Lake Kelly did a great job of things when he left head coaching in college hoops at Austin Peay and Oral Roberts to head back to George Rogers Clark, then an assistant coaching job at UK, then back as head coach at Austin Peay, and then the head coaching job at Fleming County. 

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Maybe they look at what CovCath has done and say why not us? We can be competitive on the same level with the right moves. Which would also be beneficial to Coach Luhn down the road.

As for Jimmy Pangallo, my guess is he will continue in the same role he always has.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, InsideSlant said:

Maybe they look at what CovCath has done and say why not us? We can be competitive on the same level with the right moves. Which would also be beneficial to Coach Luhn down the road.

As for Jimmy Pangallo, my guess is he will continue in the same role he always has.

I will refute that. All indications are Jimmy has coached his last game at NewCath. That may change, but I doubt it.

20 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You know, similarly, I've asked myself the same questions of one Robert B. Sphire. Why does someone near retirement age, living in warmer climate not far from the beach, with a better paying job and years in the Georgia public teacher retirement hopper, and experience coaching semi-pro football leave that job to come to Highlands?

I guess the answers are known only unto God.

33 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

You know, similarly, I've asked myself the same questions of one Robert B. Sphire. Why does someone near retirement age, living in warmer climate not far from the beach, with a better paying job and years in the Georgia public teacher retirement hopper, and experience coaching semi-pro football leave that job to come to Highlands?

Think Tom Duffy.

34 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

My point that I was making is that Jimmy Pangallo has given a lot to that program and from what I am gathering was not happy about being cast aside.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, Jack of all Trades said:

My point that I was making is that Jimmy Pangallo has given a lot to that program and from what I am gathering was not happy about being cast aside.

It's not that I don't feel for him if he thought he was overlooked. But if Luhn was the better candidate for the job, then sometimes "them's the ropes".

• Like 1