Best first jobs in NKY for teenagers

BrosefStalin

All you experienced parents out there in NKY....thoughts on best jobs/types of jobs/watch outs/positive and negative experiences?

My 16 year old boy is looking...trying to advise and guide but wanted to pick some of the minds of the folks in here as I do. 

Thanks in advance! 

2 of my kids worked for Skyline. Servers make very good money there. My daughter worked for skyline for almost 6 years before finally getting a teaching job. My son worked there even longer....almost 8 years in high school through grad school. 

They were very flexible with hours, and as I said, they made great money.

Skyline was good to my daughter.  My sons worked for a tent rental company in high school.  They loved it.  Mostly worked Friday afternoons and Sat and Sun days so they had the week off for sports practices.  They made decent money and often got good tips from customers.plus, we had deep deep tent discounts for their graduation parties.

If he cares much at all about sports, being a soccer referee for younger kids, like U10 or U12 is a pretty easy way to make some money, if they know the sport.  Been a long time since I did it, but it paid cash too.

If things ever get back to normal, working as a food vendor at GABP (e.g. lemon chills, snow cones, cotton candy and etc.) can be some decent money throughout the summer too.

2 hours ago, nkypete said:

Is working at Kings Island a decent place for a teenager anymore?

It's probably not a bad job. I wouldn't want my teenager commuting 30-40 minutes from NKY to Kings Island 4 or 5 days every week though. Thats a few hours of driving, and a lot of gas every week for a summer job.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

It's probably not a bad job. I wouldn't want my teenager commuting 30-40 minutes from NKY to Kings Island 4 or 5 days every week though. Thats a few hours of driving, and a lot of gas every week for a summer job.

Just curious.  It was pretty popular when I was growing up, but then again, I lived in Northeast Cincinnati off of I-71.

33 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Just curious.  It was pretty popular when I was growing up, but then again, I lived in Northeast Cincinnati off of I-71.

I would think it still is. I just don’t think it’s a good choice for a kid in NKY and not because it’s a bad job. My issue is strictly because of the commute.

I wonder if Kings Island might provide some sort of transportation.  My daughter worked 4 years for Holiday World starting when she was 14.  They had busses that would pick the kids up at various locations each morning and take them to work and then bring them back in the evening.  We just had to get her to a local church parking lot to meet the bus.  

42 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

I wonder if Kings Island might provide some sort of transportation.  My daughter worked 4 years for Holiday World starting when she was 14.  They had busses that would pick the kids up at various locations each morning and take them to work and then bring them back in the evening.  We just had to get her to a local church parking lot to meet the bus.  

Metro has several Park N Ride locations around Cincinnati.  The bus ride is not free.

With so many households where both parents are working full-time, I would encourage young people to pursue babysitting jobs. I know a lot of families paying between $12-20 an hour for a babysitter; and of course that is all under the table too. You could rack up some serious cash by finding a family during the summer that would need you Monday - Friday and you could still have weekends off or even continue babysitting if you wanted. 

Tutoring has also become a great way for teens to make money. If you have a son or daughter that is especially strong academically, I would encourage them to contact the local elementary schools, after school programs, etc. and see if you can put a flier up offering tutoring services. 

Finally, elderly care facilities always need part-time workers. Pretty solid pay. 

• Like 1