The Flea Market

Foul or no foul? State Championship Edition

The first angle I saw, I didn’t think so. But the one that Matt Jones tweeted out, most definitely. If the ball is in the air, both players have equal right to it. But player A can’t run over player B in pursuit of it. But a lot of referees also have a hard time deciding a game with their whistle. 

I say foul, but it's rarely called.  I think the philosophy should be... if you would call it in the first half you should call it at the end of the game.  

• Like 2

Looked like a foul to me.

2 hours ago, HoopJunkie said:

The first angle I saw, I didn’t think so. But the one that Matt Jones tweeted out, most definitely. If the ball is in the air, both players have equal right to it. But player A can’t run over player B in pursuit of it. But a lot of referees also have a hard time deciding a game with their whistle. 

They decide the game in all 32 minutes by HOW they use the whistle.   If you're not going to use it at the end, don't use it at all.   A foul is a foul is a foul - anytime during the 32 minutes of the game.

I have the greatest respect for the officials....but not blowing the whistle "decides the game" just as much as blowing the whistle does....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelMike said:

They decide the game in all 32 minutes by HOW they use the whistle.   If you're not going to use it at the end, don't use it at all.   A foul is a foul is a foul - anytime during the 32 minutes of the game.

I have the greatest respect for the officials....but not blowing the whistle "decides the game" just as much as blowing the whistle does....

Completely agree. But I’m sure you’ve seen it a thousand times too. Would’ve been a foul 10 seconds earlier, why isn’t it one now? It’s like those goofy “unwritten rules of baseball”

1 minute ago, HoopJunkie said:

Completely agree. But I’m sure you’ve seen it a thousand times too. Would’ve been a foul 10 seconds earlier, why isn’t it one now? It’s like those goofy “unwritten rules of baseball”

We could talk forever about the "unwritten rules of baseball...."   😄

Just now, ColonelMike said:

We could talk forever about the "unwritten rules of baseball...."   😄

Dude. I think they make them up as they go. 😂😂😂

Just now, HoopJunkie said:

Dude. I think they make them up as they go. 😂😂😂

As a baseball coach and an umpire, I sometimes agree.

Baseball is the inspiration for Calvinball

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

I didn't see the play, so I will reserve comment on that particular play.

But as to the bolded, absolutely.  Errors of omission are just as egregious as errors of commission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Flea Market said:

Did Tackett and the KHSAA ever made any statement on the ending of the game???

I can't imagine they did - or will.   To be honest - right or wrong - what would be the point?   It's not the pros, or even college-level.   What would be the point in saying "the referees made an error, and we're sorry"??   If the determination was that the officials made a mistake, they aren't going to take the trophy from SHA, and they're not going to go back and replay the final minutes, so....

And if they determine the officials called it right, is that really going to make anyone feel better?  Will the SHA players feel more like champions because the KHSAA "sanctified" their victory?  

The game is a human game.   That includes the human elements of coaches, players, and officials.   Each element will make human mistakes.   (not saying that this was a mistake; I actually haven't seen the play in question).  And those human mistakes could happen at any time.   

I get the concern.   And we've all had games we feel might have ended differently had the officials called / not called something differently.   But I would never be in favor of changes that detract from the human element of the game.

My two cents only....thought I'm told my opinions may only be worth half that....  🤣

CM

• Like 2

It could have been called a foul BUT I’m pretty sure that the 10 times Ralston ended up on the floor after drives to the basket should have resulted in more than 5 FTAs. 
Refs are human and make mistakes. The key is to be far enough ahead that one late game call doesn’t determine your fate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

It could have been called a foul BUT I’m pretty sure that the 10 times Ralston ended up on the floor after drives to the basket should have resulted in more than 5 FTAs. 
Refs are human and make mistakes. The key is to be far enough ahead that one late game call doesn’t determine your fate.

Absolutely correct on that last sentence. 

• Like 2