Potential Draft picks/Strategy

So the regular season is done and time to get healthy and get better through the draft starting with the 5th pick.  Some sites have the Bengals selecting JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU who opted out this year. In 2019,  he had 84 catches for 1780 yards and 20 touchdowns with Joe Burrow as QB. Some sites have him going 3rd overall to Miami. 

That is taking best available rather than filling a NEED.  They NEED Offensive line and defensive line help.  So if Penei Sewell OL Lineman from Oregon drops to 5th, the Bengals would take him. As the 5th position, the draft sites list 2-3 QBs going before the Bengals pick. So Devante Smith, WR -Alabama and possibly the Heisman winner tomorrow, should be one of the picks gone-otherwise if he is there take him. The question I pose is how about trading down to San Francisco allowing them to take BYU QB Zach Wilson, and allowing the Bengals to take Christian Darrisaw, OT from Va Tech or Rashawn Slater from Northwestern or Tony Letherwood from Alabama. They would also gain whatever picks to make it worth trading the #5 pick. I absolutely dislike Greg Rousseau, Edge Rusher from Miami, Florida from the game vs Louisville.  He seemed a bit immature but he has Chase Young like talent. Who do you think? 

2 hours ago, jimmyref said:

So the regular season is done and time to get healthy and get better through the draft starting with the 5th pick.  Some sites have the Bengals selecting JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU who opted out this year. In 2019,  he had 84 catches for 1780 yards and 20 touchdowns with Joe Burrow as QB. Some sites have him going 3rd overall to Miami. 

That is taking best available rather than filling a NEED.  They NEED Offensive line and defensive line help.  So if Penei Sewell OL Lineman from Oregon drops to 5th, the Bengals would take him. As the 5th position, the draft sites list 2-3 QBs going before the Bengals pick. So Devante Smith, WR -Alabama and possibly the Heisman winner tomorrow, should be one of the picks gone-otherwise if he is there take him. The question I pose is how about trading down to San Francisco allowing them to take BYU QB Zach Wilson, and allowing the Bengals to take Christian Darrisaw, OT from Va Tech or Rashawn Slater from Northwestern or Tony Letherwood from Alabama. They would also gain whatever picks to make it worth trading the #5 pick. I absolutely dislike Greg Rousseau, Edge Rusher from Miami, Florida from the game vs Louisville.  He seemed a bit immature but he has Chase Young like talent. Who do you think? 

The whole trading back thing is a good idea, but it is not as easy as it sounds to trade back. Plus the haul you are getting in return Better be worth  it to move from a top five pick, all the way down to 12th which is the 49ers pick.

The the draft literally will come down to how much teams love these QBs. You could have three quarterbacks taken in the first three picks possibly. Which if that happens, the Bengals probably won’t be able to trade back. 

Even though Devante Smith may be the Heisman winner. Chase for LSU was the best receiver in football, and beating top corners at the age of 19. So even though he didn’t play this year, he is just going to keep getting better. I think he will still end up doing before Smith. 

I honestly think the Bengals are in a good spot. They potentially could trade back, Sewell could possibly fall to them still. Or they could get a top weapon for Burrow like a Chase or Pitts. 

It honestly is impossible to truly think about the draft and what they will do though. Until we see how they attack free agency. 

21 hours ago, Tones said:

My Wish List in order:

1. Sewell

2. Chase

3. Trade back depending on the scenario in hopes of getting Slater and more picks (would need at least next years 1st from somebody)

4. Parsons

5. Pitts

No Smith?

4 hours ago, brown4 said:

No Smith?

It is just a personal preference thing and those are my top 5 options since we have the 5th pick. Chase is my #1 receiver in the draft, and the Burrow connection adds points in my mind. I personally like Pitts as a matchup nightmare and additional weapon for Burrow more than I do Smith.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I actually could see a scenario where Sewell could fall to our Bengs:

1. Jacksonville- Lawrence

2. Jets- trade back with somebody wanting Fields/Wilson 

3. Dolphins- Tua needs a receiver

4. Falcons- Fields/Wilson 

5. Sewell is there

For sure, definitely still a real possibility he will be there. 

The biggest mistake the Bengals could make would be Rousseau. Great player, but bad culture fit. I don’t even want to hear that possibility. If we are going defense, we have to take Parsons or trade back a little and grab Surtain. 

3 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Have I just talked myself in being confident Sewell will be there at 5? If he gets past the Jets, he’s going to the Bengals. 

Cant see the Jets taking him after taking Becton last year and if they trade the pick I just can’t see somebody trading up to 2 to take a LT, what do you think??

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Cant see the Jets taking him after taking Becton last year and if they trade the pick I just can’t see somebody trading up to 2 to take a LT, what do you think??

I don’t think so. Nobody is trading up unless it’s to take Fields or Zach Wilson. Am I getting myself way to excited about the potential of Sewell still being there? 

On 1/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, 16thBBall Fan said:

Depends how how they feel about Darnold. If I saw right, the Jets Oline still gave up a big amount of sacks and pressures this year. So they could want to have two top tackles protecting him. 

Honestly though if they don’t want a new QB. I think they will try to trade back. If they believe in Darnold, then they need to get him some actual weapons to throw to. Trading back and getting one of these Wrs, or Pitts could be their play if they don’t want a new QB. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 4:35 PM, 16thBBall Fan said:

Listened to Minich and Goodberry on Chalktalk, neither one is sold on Sewell being a “can’t miss” prospect, thoughts on that??

Have seen video of him pancaking 1st round d-line picks that make me think he is can't miss on the talent side. His attitude, drive, character will determine if he maximizes the talent.