Trinity 31 St. Xavier 0

Tigerpride94

5 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Feels like we have this conversation annually now. Watching Trinity’s approach on offense under Beatty and comparing it to St. Xavier is like night and day.

Offense needs to improve but not to many teams going to light it up against defenses they have faced. Bowling Green, Manual, North Hardin, and Trinity twice are all very good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Offense needs to improve but not to many teams going to light it up against defenses they have faced. Bowling Green, Manual, North Hardin, and Trinity twice are all very good.

From a far outside perspective it never seems like X has the offensive speed/skill as T. I’ve been curious if that’s scheme or talent. 

8 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

From a far outside perspective it never seems like X has the offensive speed/skill as T. I’ve been curious if that’s scheme or talent. 

I think talent and scheme. Trinity has good scheme and for years has got more talent. Why they have 26 championships. 

8 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

IMVHO - it's both.

Felt that #7 would wear down  - clear to everyone what X's plan was - but he never did.

Credit to that young man.

When #12 came in - that was obvious as well. Felt bad for him. He got hammered.

T brought the house.

But you can only do so much with what you have.

Agree with tcjkbt -  X vastly improved.  See what X coaches do with their promising youth next year.

Again, congrats on this season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EastSideJunkie said:

Sounds like a broken record but Trinity's defense is as good as advertised - maybe better.

And those big dudes up front really make things go.

Offense didn't play very well but well enough to win. Special teams were very good - loved the fake punt - and defense was awesome.

St. X defense played well.

I was very disappointed in St. X on offense. I know the QB situation wasn't anything they could control but almost seemed like the game plan was let's not get a running clock put on us. Just took so long and none of those plays seemed to imaginative.

How about that fake punt td run by LB Branden Steaman!? It was nice to see Beatty run a little trickeration play.

• Like 2

A couple of observations as I watched the game this morning:

-Trinity's DL is very good and it's what makes them so good on defense. They dominated the LOS all night, and have been doing that to teams, espeically St. X the last two seasons.

-In addition to Trinity winning the LOS with their DL, their RB talent is much better than St. X's. They have two guys back there that can make things happen; while Goodman for X is a good player he's not much of a threat. He's more of a 3-4 yards a pop type of RB. 

-I understand why St. X did what they did offensively; can't just chuck it deep every time. But I can't say I really understand why they play with a TE especially against Trinity. Their TE's aren't great blockers and they didn't really use them in the passing game. 

-It's hard to move the ball consistently against this Trinity defense. Even when St. X could move the ball, it's tough to get positive yards consistently. (See first thought for why that is)

- Tiger's defense played their tails off and did a very good job. Score may not show it, but did a very good job.

-Special teams has to get better for St. X

-This St. X team got better throughout the year, and should hold their head up high. Many wrote them off but they kept their heads down and kept working.

- #11 for St. X is going to be a big time problem for teams the next two years

So I guess it's more than a couple of observations...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tcjkbt said:

When discussing these two teams,  it would be a terrible mistake not to mention Bob Beatty.   

Yep. The gap between T/X began to widen noticeably when Beatty came into the picture. Doesn’t mean X is bad, and they’ve even won titles in the stretch. But Beatty has been the difference in moving Trinity to another level.