December 8, 20205 yr 11 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said: What? They are way to young and this is the toughest schedule they've probably had since he's been at UK. Those are both facts and pretty undebatable. They are his own doing because he put this team together and COVID-19 helped dictate the schedule that they created, but they still created it. What's not accurate about either of those two things? Are the grad transfers young? Cal has made these excuses since coming to Ky and changing the program to a NBA D league feeder. He can blame one person and that’s himself.
December 8, 20205 yr 57 minutes ago, John Anthony said: I’ve been chastised for calling Cal out for years on here. 4 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said: So Georgia Tech chose to play basketball the same way all successful teams have been doing over the last few years and Kentucky was thrown off by this? I'm a huge Kentucky fan and I like Calipari but at some point he's going to have to modernize/change his offensive philosophy or the game is going to pass him by. While more teams have started to play smaller and faster. That style still hasn’t led to more titles. 3 of the last 5 champions have not been teams that are playing smaller and faster at all. Smaller and faster doesn’t mean more success. It does mean a more exciting style of play to watch though. Which when Brooks start playing again, hopefully we see Cal spread it out more.
December 8, 20205 yr 1 minute ago, nikeman49 said: Are the grad transfers young? Cal has made these excuses since coming to Ky and changing the program to a NBA D league feeder. He can blame one person and that’s himself. I am curious on what you believe the level of success a coach at UK should have at UK over a 10 year period? I would be willing to guess, no coach at UK will ever meet the level where you believe they should be at over 10 years.
December 8, 20205 yr 1 hour ago, futurecoach said: While more teams have started to play smaller and faster. That style still hasn’t led to more titles. 3 of the last 5 champions have not been teams that are playing smaller and faster at all. Smaller and faster doesn’t mean more success. It does mean a more exciting style of play to watch though. Which when Brooks start playing again, hopefully we see Cal spread it out more. But the winners are making modifications. They’re expanding, modernizing. Kentucky’s offense doesn’t look different today than it did in 2010, other than the players aren’t as good this year. I’m not necessarily complaining about Calipari, he clearly knows what he’s doing. I’m just not convinced he values shooters. We’re told every year that guys “are long and athletic and SHOULD become a good shooter.” I’m a selfish Kentucky fan, yes, but I’d like to see a few more good shooters in August instead of their first year in the NBA.
December 8, 20205 yr 1 hour ago, futurecoach said: I am curious on what you believe the level of success a coach at UK should have at UK over a 10 year period? I would be willing to guess, no coach at UK will ever meet the level where you believe they should be at over 10 years. I guess hanging banners in Rupp means much more to me than how many players are drafted into the league. Cal has had success most of his time at Ky. I’m just a little old school and love tradition and representation of the university more than a quick one year stint and exit. I also disagree with many coaching tactics and style with Cal. Just my personal opinions.
December 8, 20205 yr 1 hour ago, TheDeuce said: Morehead, Richmond, Kansas and Georgia Tech is the toughest schedule Cal has had at UK? Yeah, I'd think that's the toughest first four games they've had at Kentucky under Calipari. Here are the first four teams they got to face, in any capacity, in the previous four years: 2019-2020 was Georgetown College, Kentucky State, Mich State, and Eastern Kentucky. 2018-2019 was Transy, IU of Penn, Duke and Southern Illinois. 2017-2018 was Thomas Moore, Centre, Morehead, and Utah Valley 2016-2017 was Clarion, Asbury, Stephen F Austin, and Cansisus Yeah, two of each of those are exhibitions for the four previous years but when you don't have those this year, it makes this year the hardest starting schedule than previous years. Not having those exhibitions and cupcakes makes it a fact. Someone can say "excuse" but its still a fact.
December 8, 20205 yr 2 hours ago, nikeman49 said: Are the grad transfers young? Cal has made these excuses since coming to Ky and changing the program to a NBA D league feeder. He can blame one person and that’s himself. I'd say that having 7 Freshman in your current rotation definitely classifies you as being way too young. I am not going to go through and look at the breakdown of minutes played but the percentage of minute played by freshman is extremely high. Yeah, he has two grad transfers and it takes time to get them acclimated. I already acknowledge that they are his own doing but that doesn't make them excuses. It is a statement of fact regarding his team. They are very young.
December 8, 20205 yr 7 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said: Yeah, I'd think that's the toughest first four games they've had at Kentucky under Calipari. Here are the first four teams they got to face, in any capacity, in the previous four years: 2019-2020 was Georgetown College, Kentucky State, Mich State, and Eastern Kentucky. 2018-2019 was Transy, IU of Penn, Duke and Southern Illinois. 2017-2018 was Thomas Moore, Centre, Morehead, and Utah Valley 2016-2017 was Clarion, Asbury, Stephen F Austin, and Cansisus Yeah, two of each of those are exhibitions for the four previous years but when you don't have those this year, it makes this year the hardest starting schedule every before. Not having those exhibitions and cupcakes makes it a fact. Someone can say "excuse" but its still a fact. Agree to disagree.
December 8, 20205 yr 35 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said: But the winners are making modifications. They’re expanding, modernizing. Kentucky’s offense doesn’t look different today than it did in 2010, other than the players aren’t as good this year. I’m not necessarily complaining about Calipari, he clearly knows what he’s doing. I’m just not convinced he values shooters. We’re told every year that guys “are long and athletic and SHOULD become a good shooter.” I’m a selfish Kentucky fan, yes, but I’d like to see a few more good shooters in August instead of their first year in the NBA. I do wish he recruited more shooters. I love shooters. I'd have to think Calipari had assumed that Tyler Herro would have been around more than a year. Jemarl Baker, who left super early, lit it up in a game the other night. I and I'm sure Calipari would like to have him on this team. Fans gave up on Quade Green, who could have been a shooter on this team.
December 8, 20205 yr Just now, TheDeuce said: Agree to disagree. We can disagree. But, which of those four previous years had a tougher first four matchups?
December 8, 20205 yr 1 minute ago, MJAlltheWay24 said: We can disagree. But, which of those four previous years had a tougher first four matchups? I said "ever," not "the last four years."
December 8, 20205 yr 3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: I said "ever," not "the last four years." Fair. What year had a tougher first four matchups then? And it wasn't "ever" but in Cal's Kentucky tenure.
December 8, 20205 yr 2 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said: Fair. What year had a tougher first four matchups then? And it wasn't "ever" but in Cal's Kentucky tenure. I believe it was the year after they won the title... They played Maryland and Duke back to back, if I'm not mistaken.
December 8, 20205 yr 11 minutes ago, TheDeuce said: I believe it was the year after they won the title... They played Maryland and Duke back to back, if I'm not mistaken. 2012 - 2013 first four games was Northwood University, Transylvania University, Maryland and Duke. That Maryland team didn't make the NCAA tournament. We might have to agree to disagree on the first four games, especially if Richmond goes on to be as good as many predict and win the AAC. But I'd be willing to bet they are a tournament team. However, my statement was "toughest schedule", not just toughest first four games. Next four games in 2012-2013 = Lafayette College, Morehead State, Long Island University Brooklyn, and Notre Dame. Next four games this year = Notre Dame, UCLA, Louisville and South Carolina. Personally, I think it's very accurate to say this is the toughest schedule they've had while he's at UK. If someone wants to take that statement as an excuse, that's anyone's prerogative, but its still a true statement.
December 8, 20205 yr 1 hour ago, nikeman49 said: I guess hanging banners in Rupp means much more to me than how many players are drafted into the league. Cal has had success most of his time at Ky. I’m just a little old school and love tradition and representation of the university more than a quick one year stint and exit. I also disagree with many coaching tactics and style with Cal. Just my personal opinions. Fair enough, however last year was more like what people were complaining for. When last year they only one freshman starting, and the rest was sophomores, juniors, and even a senior. Sadly we just didn’t get to see how they would have done in the tournament last year with that. Then even with that you can’t make guys come back. Hagans, Montgomery, and even Richards are all guys who were whether a 2nd round pick, or not drafted at all and yet they left. Then there has been multiple guys Cal has recruited, probably not thinking they would be one and done and they end up doing great and playing themselves into a first round pick. People act like he only wants one and done guys. A combination of players being better than expected after he recruited them, and then players leaving and declaring early when they shouldn’t have. Also has played a big part, in the constant turnover. We are probably seeing that again this year with Isaiah Jackson. I don’t think Cal thought he would be a one and done, and even though the team isn’t playing well. He is probably going to play himself to a one and done guy now.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.