Bowling Green 28 McCracken County 12

Well this was the tale of two halves.

In first half, I thought there was going to be a repeat of last week's South Warren/BG game with the same result.

It was a back and forth grind fest with both offenses sputtering and the defense's shining.

BG's offense was pitiful the last six quarters, but for some reason in the second half BG's coaches decided to actually open the playbook a little bit and that got them going.

Letting Conner Cooper run in the second half was a big turning point. He's fast and beter mobile than sitting the pocket. When he started doing that he completed some passes and had some good runs. This spread the defense out and took some focus off Bunton.

After that Bunton was able to run wild since the offense was no longer one dimensional. why BG waited 6 quarters to do that I have no idea. The offense still wasn't great, but the second half was much better than the previous 6 quarters.

BG's defense was outstanding again. Once BG took the lead I never felt McCracken had a chance because they were totally shutdown offensively. 

Nice bounce back win BG!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

First game I’ve been to at BGHS in 33 years.  McCracken came out and moved the ball.  Bradley got in for a score from the 1 but was called for holding.  No worries they moved in again and got a score.  1st quarter I give to the Mustangs the rest of game and in particular the 2nd half Bunton ran wild.  Very impressed with the hard hitting defense of the purples.  Coaches at least twice cost them delay of game penalties.  But back to Bunton, great patience and vision and great speed.  If the purples will continue to coach and play like the 2nd half they will be a load.  McCracken is a solid team but has to develop a better passing attack.  I thought the Mustangs would move the ball but would have trouble getting points.  There were some very hard hits both ways.  I got to watch Owensboro at the same time!  2 for 1!  Congrats BG.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brown said:

First game I’ve been to at BGHS in 33 years.  McCracken came out and moved the ball.  Bradley got in for a score from the 1 but was called for holding.  No worries they moved in again and got a score.  1st quarter I give to the Mustangs the rest of game and in particular the 2nd half Bunton ran wild.  Very impressed with the hard hitting defense of the purples.  Coaches at least twice cost them delay of game penalties.  But back to Bunton, great patience and vision and great speed.  If the purples will continue to coach and play like the 2nd half they will be a load.  McCracken is a solid team but has to develop a better passing attack.  I thought the Mustangs would move the ball but would have trouble getting points.  There were some very hard hits both ways.  I got to watch Owensboro at the same time!  2 for 1!  Congrats BG.

That had to feel good @Brown!

1 hour ago, Killowatt59 said:

Well this was the tale of two halves.

In first half, I thought there was going to be a repeat of last week's South Warren/BG game with the same result.

It was a back and forth grind fest with both offenses sputtering and the defense's shining.

BG's offense was pitiful the last six quarters, but for some reason in the second half BG's coaches decided to actually open the playbook a little bit and that got them going.

Letting Conner Cooper run in the second half was a big turning point. He's fast and beter mobile than sitting the pocket. When he started doing that he completed some passes and had some good runs. This spread the defense out and took some focus off Bunton.

After that Bunton was able to run wild since the offense was no longer one dimensional. why BG waited 6 quarters to do that I have no idea. The offense still wasn't great, but the second half was much better than the previous 6 quarters.

BG's defense was outstanding again. Once BG took the lead I never felt McCracken had a chance because they were totally shutdown offensively. 

Nice bounce back win BG!

I love that you’re here Killowatt, because you say the exact thing I want to and I don’t have to type it!

• Haha 1

@Killowatt59 is correct in that it was a tale of 2 halves.  With BG down about 6 to 8 starters and after losing a slugfest with rival South Warren and having a Covid restricted game, I felt the Purples came out very flat.  They haven't covered kick offs well all year and the opening kick is brought back to midfield and MC should have scored on their first possession and did score on their second.  

But the BG defense readjusted and that was it basically the rest of the night.  A lot of young guys making significant contributions for BG on that side of the ball.

On offense, the first half was like they were all in a fog or hangover and self destructing similar to most of last week.  But the playbook was finally opened up some to get some Mstangs out of the box and allowed Javey Bunton, who had a whale of a game, to start running downhill.  The BG OLine maybe played their best game tonight, as at least 2 OL were second string guys, who played awesome.

QB Cooper also played well, but BG got some production from their WRs tonight that they haven't gotten since the St X game really and I hope that builds some confidence in both QB and WR as it will be needed later.

Good Bounce Back game for BG!  They need to continue to heal up and work on stupid penalty stuff.  How many dumb penalties did they get?  Too many and @Brown is right, the BG coaching staff caused many of those.  Clean it up!  

McCracken County is a good team and they are on the upswing, but they were exposed from the standpoint of what are we going to do when Hunter Bradley can't run the ball for 400 yards.  Good news is you have a good young QB.  Bad news is that you need to work on developing a better passing playbook.  And look on the soccer field for another XP kicker!  Good luck the rest of the way!  I think MC can make a good run.  They need to play to meet a good team and start getting that deep playoff run experience.  Good luck!

• Like 1