BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (10/5) - Discussion

TheDeuce

Class 5A

In the eagerly awaited "Showdown at the El", South Warren and Bowling Green engaged in a minimalist war of attrition between top five teams. The Spartans emerged victorious in a game that told us little about either side, other than they enjoy getting after each other. Let the sabre rattling commence for the inevitable district championship rematch. With the Purples going down, Covington Catholic returns to the top spot, though the Colonels are still struggling to find the polish that's been a staple of theirs in the recent championship seasons. CovCath has a week off to do some fine tuning before hosting a Highlands team that turned back the clock about ten years and drubbed previously ranked Conner.

After what amounted to a KHSAA sanctioned bloodletting of Grant County in Week 4, Frederick Douglass must re-calibrate for a clash with LCA in a marquee game that will go a long way toward deciding the king of Lexington football this year.

It's gut check time for District 4 mystery team North Bullitt. The Eagles and perennial district kingpin South Oldham each smoked an overmatched foe from Jefferson County to set up one of the most under-the-radar big games in the class this season. One way or another, questions will be answered this week.  

1. Covington Catholic -- OPEN

2. Frederick Douglass vs. 2A #2 Lexington Christian Academy

3. South Warren -- OPEN 

4. Bowling Green vs. 6A #6 McCracken County 

5. Owensboro at 2A #9 Owensboro Catholic 

6. Scott County at Grant County 

7. South Oldham at #9 North Bullitt 

8. Southwestern at Whitley County

9. North Bullitt vs. #7 South Oldham 

10. Pulaski County vs. North Laurel

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

A case could be made for Douglas. They played a very good North Hardin team close and have a nice win over Ballard.

Gonna be tough to jump the undefeated defending champions until they lose, IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theguru said:

I like Freddie D over CCH too. 

And it's not a knock on CCH. Michael Mayer is the best high school football player I've seen in person and losing him is brutal. The pieces FD brought in with their QB and getting Dekel back to add to TY, Dane, and younger Neal.. they're hella loaded. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DearToday said:

And it's not a knock on CCH. Michael Mayer is the best high school football player I've seen in person and losing him is brutal. The pieces FD brought in with their QB and getting Dekel back to add to TY, Dane, and younger Neal.. they're hella loaded. 

Agree. Mayer was a near pro football player playing with high school kids and without him I think FD can overwhelm CovCath. 

• Like 1