Reds at Cubs - 9/08 - 9/10

• theguru changed the title to Reds at Cubs - 9/08 - 9/10

Wow, last 24 innings Mills had given up 21 earned runs!!!  We’re a good cure for him!!!

Winker has quit!!  You’d almost think they’re the Black Sox!!!  Please put us out of our misery and get these last few games over with!!  Really hate it for our starting pitching, they deserve much better!!  Never been so disappointed in a team in my entire life and I’ve been a Reds fan since ‘69

You have said it all.  A carbon copy of almost every game this year.  No hit from an average pitcher and the right fielder can not catch fly balls.  Plus another very good pitching effort.  With the season on the line one would have thought Reds would have been hungry instead they are flat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sumoroyal said:

You have said it all.  A carbon copy of almost every game this year.  No hit from an average pitcher and the right fielder can not catch fly balls.  Plus another very good pitching effort.  With the season on the line one would have thought Reds would have been hungry instead they are flat.

Yep, it’s a shame, can’t fire all the players so please fire Mr. Rogers!!

Garcia has NO idea of the strike zone!!

I've said this before - They are not a team - they are a collection of players.

There is no solid nucleus of veteran players that solidify the unit.  They are all independent agents playing for a salar,y and a contract, with their own agendas, and no allegiance at all to the city in which they play.  How many of these guys have been here for two years or more??? Joey???

A team is a group of players, committed to a goal,  that earn the respect of any new additions to buy into that goal as well.  We have had those potential players who could have provided us with a good base to build on.  Billy Hamilton, who now plays for the Cubs is one of those players - Batting average, etc., be damned.  Scooter Gennett was another.

Go back to my "What happened to the Re-Build???" question, that no one has an answer to.  We sold all of our "good" players to invest in the youngsters coming up through the farm system.  How did that work out.  Since that failure, we have been a rudderless ship, and will continue to drift in mediocrity until we get some leadership in the front office, who can assemble a TEAM and stability.   The revolving door must stop, along with David Bell, who owes his job only to his last name, in hopes that he would sell a few extra tickets..    

The Reds have had 45 players pass through their active roster during the 2019-2020 seasons.  Google "Cincinnati Reds Roster 2019" and check them out. 

• Like 3

Last night made 17 games where we have not had more than 5 hits in a game.  Votto on the road has O RBI and O HR, batting an abysmal .65.  This team has quit and I think it is all on Bell.  He takes people out of games, and hammers their confidence.  You can not do this to baseball players in particular.  They have not bunted all year, moved runners, etc.  If you look at the Cubs batters last night they had one guy in their lineup with an average more than 250 yet they win games.  It has. been hard to watch and this team has potetnial of being really good.  Sad days to be a Reds fan!

• Like 1

To me teams take the identity of their leader, in this case David Bell.  He has no feel for the game whatsoever and relies on the computer to tell him what his next move should be.  All we heard was how was this team going to get guys at bats with all of the hitters they have.  Well someone is not a very good judge of talent apparently.  I want to know what the story is on all of the rocking backwards before a pitch.  Seen Winker, Moustakas and Suarez all do it.  Amazes me how this franchise cannot seem to get things moving forward on a more consistent basis.  Oh well there is always next year and football will take hold for about 3 or 4 weeks until the Bengals start losing with regularity.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

Last night made 17 games where we have not had more than 5 hits in a game.  Votto on the road has O RBI and O HR, batting an abysmal .65.  This team has quit and I think it is all on Bell.  He takes people out of games, and hammers their confidence.  You can not do this to baseball players in particular.  They have not bunted all year, moved runners, etc.  If you look at the Cubs batters last night they had one guy in their lineup with an average more than 250 yet they win games.  It has. been hard to watch and this team has potetnial of being really good.  Sad days to be a Reds fan!

Agree and disagree.

Yes, I think this team has basically quit.  Just going through the motions right now.  Had hoped Bauer's dugout tirade the other day would've jumped started some emotions, but evidently it didn't.

As far as taking people out of games and hammering their confidence, while I understand what you're saying...I disagree.  You needed to manage this year like your life depended on winning each series.  This is not a 162 game schedule where you can afford to wait a guy's slump out.  In all honesty, if Bell's at fault for anything this year, in my opinion, it's for sticking with guys for too long, before pulling them.  Unfortunately for him, it doesn't seem to matter who you put in there...pretty much everybody is having a career worst season.

As far as bunting or moving runners...this team is just not built that way.  We are relying too much on "launch angle" to try and take advantage of GABP, that it truly is a feast or famine environment.  (Plus, I think I've read where it's statistically better to have a guy on first with no outs, versus a runner on second with one out.  And if that stat is true, then, by golly, you know Bell is going to ride it.) Right now, I don't see how you can bring back the hitting coach.  It'd be one thing if a guy or two saw his BA drop this year.  But, every dang one of them (Winker aside)????

But, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that this has been hard to watch, given the talent this team has and what the outcomes have been.  Sad days indeed.

Think about this for a second, Colon, Janikowski, Vanmeter, Ervin and Davidson, all were used at some point in big spot as pinch hitters.  Collectively I would think they had around 10-15 hits for the season, batting average around 125 for the group.  I would be willing to bet we used some of them as starters in the same games yet now we have sent them packing, and truthfully I am glad we did.  Not every day players, and some have been given chance after chance to be one.  Bell has lost the guys that matter on this team, and our hitting coach has messed with some of their mechanics if you watch them from last season and their stances for example.   This team has a lot of walks but then it gets to a weak hitter, and the inning is over, we had 5 BB walks last night and 8 against the Cubs Sunday and only one of them scored and a HR.    Having played those guys someone has to be held accountable, if management.  Stephenson and Aquino should have been her all along, they will be counted on next season.  The Reds would not pull the trigger on the Marlins catcher a couple years ago and he is really good for the Phillies.   Castellanos, Moustakas, and Akiyama are above 280 average hitters, so something had to change them in my opinion.  I wished they would understand its a 60 game season but he has not.  And after 20 games in he was jerking people out and sitting them already.  If a shooter is 0-2 from 3, I wouldn't jerk him out.  If I am 0-2 in a baseball game after 5 innings, and you take me out I can not go 2-2 in 6th-9th.  I think he pulls them way too much, and it kills them mentally.  Sitting them for a game would be better than what he does.