Push to eliminate Spring practice

I think this is a bad idea. I think football in Kentucky has improved since adding spring practice. I’m surprised to see Trinity’s AD in favor of this. I could see where some smaller schools would be for it since competes with spring sports. What do you think about this?

I would be all for it.  Spring practice has contributed to the specialization of athletes hurting spring sports numbers, especially at smaller schools.  Football and really all the major sports have become year round activities.   It also adds two weeks of contact opening the doors to additional concussions and other possible injuries.  On the financial, a lot is asked of coaches, and I’d guess that time really isn’t considered when paying coaches.  

As far as contributing to the quality of football, Ohio doesn’t do spring ball and they seem to putting out a pretty good product.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bugatti said:

This is from two years ago.

I am indifferent on the subject. As a football guy I like having the Spring, but get the logistical challenges.

Thanks for noticing date. For some reason showed up on my twitter timeline. Glad it didn’t get enacted.

Spring football started back in 1998. It was very beneficial for us at Mason County. The extra live reps helped us to improve dramatically. Spring football has also been a big help for us at Mercer County. Live reps in pads help guys get better. 

We only got 3 days in the spring of 2020, but were very glad to get those days.

I sure hope we keep it. 

• Like 4