Who are your Top Ten Players of the 9th Region

I don't know about you, but I think the 9th region is stacked with talented, athletic, top tier basketball players. I don't recall the region having this much talent as we have had in last couple years. This year is no different. I am interested to know who everyone's top ten list of basketball players in the 9th Region are this year. Here is what i have:

1. Wyatt Veith - St. Henry...the kid can do it all. Smart, hard-nosed player who can shoot from either the perimeter or drive to the bucket. Strong, tough kid...has the physical and mental make-up of a D1 player if he continues to play like he has.

2. Grant Disken - Cov Cath - Quick, smart, sees the floor well, can make the tough pass as well as the tough shot. Maybe doesn't have the height to be a D1 player, but certainly has the mental make-up as well as the ability to play at an extremely high level. A general on the floor. Best point guard in the 9th region.

3. Donovan Stocks - Cov Cath - Tall, long, muscular, athletic, the kids seems to be growing into his own this year. He keeps improving. Has tremendous upside. He will continue to grow and improve....could be a D1 player by graduation.

4. Scotty Draud - 2,000 points by his Junior year? Wow. This kid can drive, make tough shots in the paint and through contact, can hit from the perimeter. Has the physical make-up of a D1 player. Needs to improve his vision on the court.

5. Jeremiah Hicks - Holy Cross - Big, aggressive, hard nosed, defensive beast and just as strong offensively. I like his determination..attitude. The kid wants to win. Needs to improve his handles.

6. Sam Vinson - Highlands

7. Deshaun White - Newport -

8. Neil Green - Cov Cath

9. Luke Mueller - Highlands

10. Will Downton - Beechwood

Sorry i ran out of time on the narratives......but you get the idea........

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you started this thread @NKYBBALLFANS this has been on my mind recently to list the top players in the 9th.

I can't argue with anyone already mentioned, but I think that Conner's Jalen Scott needs to be in the conversation, and while he hasn't been able to play much yet this year due to injury, Evan Mullikin from NewCath is a force. Some might say it's too soon to say, but from what I saw freshman Jacob Meyer for Holy Cross is nothing to sneeze at. This kid really has game and plays well beyond his years. Brandon McClendon for Holy Cross is a tough cookie as well.

Many Great players no doubt. Based on individual play, I’d have to go:

1. Stocks - best all around IMO

2. Draud - steps up D, best all around. Best scorer around and everybody knows it’s coming.

3. Vieth - right there. 1-2-3 interchangeable really. Kid can ball.

4/5. Vinson/Mueller - best combo in region. True scorers.

6.Meyer -super talented freshman with great tools. Will move up my list Quick when he cuts TO’s out

7. Hicks - old school Post banger with heart. He wins every battle I’ve seen.

8. Disken - hard nosed player With great skills and court vision. I just Can't rank higher b/c he has too many weapons at his disposal. deserves top 10 for sure.

9. Q Calloway - tough, gritty, good defender. Can get to the rack and obviously team leader.

10. McClendon - superb athlete, great defender. can get to rim at will. Needs to be more of a focus in offense IMO. If HC ran a set with Meyer/McClendon attacking rim, with Hicks cleaning up and Niehaus as an outlet, look out. Sleeper team if can survive district.

Fun topic @NKY b-ball fans. And I agree, a LOT of depth for sure. Gonna be fun to see who steps up at tournament time.

I don't know about you, but I think the 9th region is stacked with talented, athletic, top tier basketball players. I don't recall the region having this much talent as we have had in last couple years. This year is no different. I am interested to know who everyone's top ten list of basketball players in the 9th Region are this year. Here is what i have:

1. Wyatt Veith - St. Henry...the kid can do it all. Smart, hard-nosed player who can shoot from either the perimeter or drive to the bucket. Strong, tough kid...has the physical and mental make-up of a D1 player if he continues to play like he has.

2. Grant Disken - Cov Cath - Quick, smart, sees the floor well, can make the tough pass as well as the tough shot. Maybe doesn't have the height to be a D1 player, but certainly has the mental make-up as well as the ability to play at an extremely high level. A general on the floor. Best point guard in the 9th region.

3. Donovan Stocks - Cov Cath - Tall, long, muscular, athletic, the kids seems to be growing into his own this year. He keeps improving. Has tremendous upside. He will continue to grow and improve....could be a D1 player by graduation.

4. Scotty Draud - 2,000 points by his Junior year? Wow. This kid can drive, make tough shots in the paint and through contact, can hit from the perimeter. Has the physical make-up of a D1 player. Needs to improve his vision on the court.

5. Jeremiah Hicks - Holy Cross - Big, aggressive, hard nosed, defensive beast and just as strong offensively. I like his determination..attitude. The kid wants to win. Needs to improve his handles.

6. Sam Vinson - Highlands

7. Deshaun White - Newport -

8. Neil Green - Cov Cath

9. Luke Mueller - Highlands

10. Will Downton - Beechwood

Sorry i ran out of time on the narratives......but you get the idea........

If there are 5 better players in the 9th than Sam Vinson I have not seen them...

Now let’s not go there. The region doesn’t have a McNeil, CJ or Kunkle but it is not void of talent especially young talent. Some of those mentioned are frosh and will get better in time! Give me Sam Vinson and I can build around it. Great handles, rebounds, and just a throwback floor general. He also has worked on his jump shot!! Scott at Conner can play and others have very good bloodlines as well either from pops or brothers. Very good list!

I continue to be amazed at how little love Grant Disken gets. He's the best player on the best team, and no one on this list has played bigger and better versus near the competition he has face this year. Even though he is surrounded by more talent, he is still the focus of the oppositions defense. He also guarded and shutdown one of Florida's top D1 prospects (avg 30+pts/game) in the final game in Florida tournament, and Disken was the best player on the floor.

I continue to be amazed at how little love Grant Disken gets. He's the best player on the best team, and no one on this list has played bigger and better versus near the competition he has face this year. Even though he is surrounded by more talent, he is still the focus of the oppositions defense. He also guarded and shutdown one of Florida's top D1 prospects (avg 30+pts/game) in the final game in Florida tournament, and Disken was the best player on the floor.

IMHO he was also the only Colonel who looked like he wanted the ball in his hands vs. Oak Hill Academy. Sure, he doesn't put up the numbers that some of the other guys in the region do, but he is the definition of a floor general who elevates all those around him.