Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rebounding Stats

Featured Replies

Is it me, or are these "rebounding stats" getting out of control. We got kids claiming to have 21 rebounds on teams with 2 other players on the same squad getting 11 and 13 boards to boot. That's 50 rebounds for one team and just 3 players. It's a stat no one truly follows but the stat keepers and its tough to verify, but some of it is just extremely outlandish. I guess it just provides good reads.

Is it me, or are these "rebounding stats" getting out of control. We got kids claiming to have 21 rebounds on teams with 2 other players on the same squad getting 11 and 13 boards to boot. That's 50 rebounds for one team and just 3 players. It's a stat no one truly follows but the stat keepers and its tough to verify, but some of it is just extremely outlandish. I guess it just provides good reads.

 

I asked a coach about this once and he said to me "When you shoot as bad as we do you have a lot of rebounding chances." :lol:

I asked a coach about this once and he said to me "When you shoot as bad as we do you have a lot of rebounding chances." :lol:

 

Wonder if thats why Augusta always had beefed up rebounding stats? :D

Is it me, or are these "rebounding stats" getting out of control. We got kids claiming to have 21 rebounds on teams with 2 other players on the same squad getting 11 and 13 boards to boot. That's 50 rebounds for one team and just 3 players. It's a stat no one truly follows but the stat keepers and its tough to verify, but some of it is just extremely outlandish. I guess it just provides good reads.

Biggest thing people don't do is double check the math. You should be able to add up every missed shot and have it equal the total number of rebounds. In some cases, I have seen where there were 8 to 10 more rebounds than there were shots missed. Some people give a rebound to a guy that tips the miss out away from the goal and another rebound to the guy that chases it down.

Is it me, or are these "rebounding stats" getting out of control. We got kids claiming to have 21 rebounds on teams with 2 other players on the same squad getting 11 and 13 boards to boot. That's 50 rebounds for one team and just 3 players. It's a stat no one truly follows but the stat keepers and its tough to verify, but some of it is just extremely outlandish. I guess it just provides good reads.

 

Alot of this is because they are kids. If a kid has a bad game shooting or doesn't score alot of points, alot of times he will pull out the 15 rebounds and 9 assists. I have noticed this before. I used to have a guy on my high school team that scored 2-3 points a game, but he always seemed to have more than 5 assists and close to double-figure rebounds. I finally thought about this after I graduated and realized that he would have had state record stats if he'd been telling the truth. He would've had more than 1,000 rebounds and 500 assists in 3 years.

Scenario:

 

Shot is missed and a player on offense taps the ball out to the PG, and it's obvious that it is a controlled tap. Does it count as a rebound and a pass for the player that tipped it out? Or is it a rebound to the PG?

Biggest thing people don't do is double check the math. You should be able to add up every missed shot and have it equal the total number of rebounds. In some cases, I have seen where there were 8 to 10 more rebounds than there were shots missed. Some people give a rebound to a guy that tips the miss out away from the goal and another rebound to the guy that chases it down.

 

Sounds like assists in hockey.

Alot of this is because they are kids. If a kid has a bad game shooting or doesn't score alot of points, alot of times he will pull out the 15 rebounds and 9 assists. I have noticed this before. I used to have a guy on my high school team that scored 2-3 points a game, but he always seemed to have more than 5 assists and close to double-figure rebounds. I finally thought about this after I graduated and realized that he would have had state record stats if he'd been telling the truth. He would've had more than 1,000 rebounds and 500 assists in 3 years.

 

So that would be the stat keepers fault correct?

Scenario:

 

Shot is missed and a player on offense taps the ball out to the PG, and it's obvious that it is a controlled tap. Does it count as a rebound and a pass for the player that tipped it out? Or is it a rebound to the PG?

 

If you tap it back up on the basket, its a rebound. If it is controlled, its a rebound. If its a wild tap that happens to land in someone's hands, its supposed to be just like a loose ball that noone had control of. It really up to the scorer's judgement, which is pretty scary.

So that would be the stat keepers fault correct?

 

No, it has nothing to do with the stat keeper. If the actual statistics would have been checked, it would have verified that my teammate was full of crap.

Some rebounds are never controlled but knocked out of bounds. Those are considered team rebounds but aren't supposed to be given to any desinated player.

 

1 and 1 free throw misses, the last shooting free throw misses are also counted as individual rebounds. If both teams shoot a combined 60 free throws a game it is possible for a player to get 30-35 boards just from free throws. Free throw shooting percentage would be horrible but rebounds would look good. If you have one "big" kid that can hold his spot and leap he is going to have 20 or more rebounds from free throws alone.

Wonder if thats why Augusta always had beefed up rebounding stats? :D

 

Augusta's rebounding stats so far after 4 games 86 total 29 per game. But I know I have missed a few a game. Not offical

There was a center in our district a few years back that always was reported in the Lex Herald-Leader to have anywhere between 15 to 20 rebounds nearly every game. So I went to a game and charted every move he made. In the game I saw he had 24 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocked shots. However, the next day in the Lex H-L he had 24 points, 23 rebounds and 11 blocks.

Many stats are exaggerated by stat keepers and other staff wanting to help a kid get attention or maybe a scholarship. But when you turn these type of figures into the KHSAA for the weekly top 10 state statistics, well it's not fair to kids whose staff actually keep accurate numbers.

I can remember a player who averaged about 15 points and 15 rebounds a game. But probably 10 of his rebounds were from his own misses. So he done a good job of padding his own stats.

I actually know someone very well..he played in the 60's that averaged 29 rebounds a game ...Professor knows who it is.:sssh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.