Other State Playoffs

swamprat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 7th Anniversary of Sandy Hook, Newtown wins the Class LL Connecticut state title on a last second play 13-7.

On final play, Newtown wins state title on anniversary of Sandy Hook

And they Finished 13-0 in the biggest Classification Class LL. This was their first state title since 1992.

Edited by GOREDDEVILS

Georgia State Finals

1A- Irwin County 56 Marion County 14

1A Private- Eagle's Landing Christian Academy 33 Wesleyan 13

2A- Dublin 42 Brooks County 32

3A- Cedar Grove 21 Crisp County 14

4A- Blessed Trinity 17 Oconee County 14

5A- Buford 17 Warner Robins 14

6A- Harrison 20 Allatoona 17

7A- Marietta 17 Lowndes 9

Marietta is going to play an additional game against Eastside Catholic out of Washington in Las Vegas as part of the GEICO Bowl Series.

On that Marietta vs. Lowndes game:

First and foremost Marietta TE/DE Arik Gilbert is a stud. Between him and Covington Catholic's Michael Mayer I cannot remember two bigger TE superstars in the same class like this before.

Secondly, I witnessed something I have never seen before that game. Trailing 17-3 Lowndes stayed in the game thanks to an unlikely hero, THE BAND. Marietta was backed up in their own end-zone near the end of the 3rd Quarter and the massive Lowndes band would play after every play. Marietta runs exclusively from the spread and use tempo. So the band was playing as they came to the LOS and started doing some "check with me" stuff. The band would stop before the snap, but it was visibly frustrating the Marietta QB (going to Tennessee) and they got completely out of rhythm and burnt two timeouts trying to appeal to the officials.

The GHSA rules simply mention that the band must commence prior to the QB going under center, so this created a weird loophole since the QB technically was never going under center or breaking a huddle. With a 4th and Long at like the 2-yard line the clock was running and the Quarter was about to end. Sensing Marietta's uncomfortable position, Lowndes burned one of their precious timeouts trailing to ensure the punt had to happen prior to the quarter ending and the field changing.

On the ensuing punt Lowndes put on an all-out block and got the punt and took over inside the Marietta red-zone. They scored a TD which temporarily put them right back in the game.

I had never witnessed something like this. I am sure we will be seeing a rule change in the future if for no other reason to update the terminology and modernize it. Wouldn't be surprised to see this effect the KHSAA rules although to this point I had not seen a band ever impact a game before and I am not sure there is a band in KY as big as Lowndes.