Willie Taggart fired from Florida State/Coaching Search

All State Baseball

FSU raised 20 mil in private donations just for Taggert's buy out... The issue wouldn't be the new coach salary and assistant pool. It would be the buyout they would have to likely pay to get them away from their current program.

Stoops’ buyout is next to nothing isn’t it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSU raised 20 mil in private donations just for Taggert's buy out... The issue wouldn't be the new coach salary and assistant pool. It would be the buyout they would have to likely pay to get them away from their current program.

Same difference. FSU isn’t in an ideal situation financially and that’s going to be the biggest issue getting this program turned around quickly.

I will admit that Mark Stoops has done better at Kentucky than I anticipated he would. That said, I personally wouldn’t want him to be the choice at FSU. He was a serviceable DC, but he also wasn’t one FSU fans were torn up about losing. They could certainly do worse, but I think they have to do better.

Bob Stoops would be a splashy hire and one I’d be OK with, but the name I’m hoping gets involved in the process (though I doubt he does) is the name I wanted last time - James Franklin. By all accounts, FSU didn’t even try to reach out to him when they went with Taggart, which boggled the mind to me. The man won at Vandy - VANDY! And he has soared higher with Penn State than Taggart could have ever dreamed.

I hope and pray somehow FSU sticks the landing here, because right now, the more I think about this, the more I fear the “Lost Decade” of 2001-2010 is going to look like a freaking dream compared to the next 5-8 years.

Same difference. FSU isn’t in an ideal situation financially and that’s going to be the biggest issue getting this program turned around quickly.

Not really the same thing...they just raised $20 mil in 24 hours and you think money is an issue?? The Seminole Boosters are now apart of the athletic department so there is plenty of money available to give to a new coach and his assistants that isn't being paid for by the university (See Memphis and Houston as other examples of universities using boosters to pay a coach salary). Paying another large buyout isn't something they are willing to do, however.

The issue is the instability and unknown of their athletic department and administration in general. Most established coaches aren't willing to go in their blindly with no clue what to expect or who they will be working for/with in a year. That is what got them in this mess to begin with...did they make poor financial decisions (looking at you Taggert)? Absolutely. But that isn't why they may have trouble hiring certain coaches and why they were also unable to hire an established AD when Wilcox left for the NCAA.

Not really the same thing...they just raised $20 mil in 24 hours and you think money is an issue?? The Seminole Boosters are now apart of the athletic department so there is plenty of money available to give to a new coach and his assistants that isn't being paid for by the university (See Memphis and Houston as other examples of universities using boosters to pay a coach salary). Paying another large buyout isn't something they are willing to do, however.

The issue is the instability and unknown of their athletic department and administration in general. Most established coaches aren't willing to go in their blindly with no clue what to expect or who they will be working for/with in a year. That is what got them in this mess to begin with...did they make poor financial decisions (looking at you Taggert)? Absolutely. But that isn't why they may have trouble hiring certain coaches and why they were also unable to hire an established AD when Wilcox left for the NCAA.

Raised 20 million in 24 hours? No they didn’t. They’ve been working on this buyout for a while. You don’t just come up with 20 million in 24 hours. The fact is the pool of money is smaller for them to pay buyouts, head coach salary, assistant salaries and needed facility improvements is smaller than it was before they hired Taggert.

The fact is the pool of money is smaller for them to pay buyouts, head coach salary, assistant salaries and needed facility improvements is smaller than it was before they hired Taggert.

The pool may be smaller, that doesn't mean they can't pay top dollar for an HC and his assistants.

Seeing a couple people say that FSU is indeed in contact with Stoops but they aren’t finalizing a deal as has been reported and FSU is still going to interview more candidates. Also seeing that FSU has actually not raised all of the 20 million owed for Taggerts buyout.

The pool may be smaller, that doesn't mean they can't pay top dollar for an HC and his assistants.

This.

Anyone who thinks FSU can't pay top dollar for a coach and assistants after just raising $20 mil in PRIVATE DONATIONS is seriously blinded by the facts of what just happened.

Despite what Grant thinks, their issues are the instability and uncertainty within the administration and top of the athletic department. A guy I work with is an FSU alum and huge Seminoles fan and talks about the mess down there all the time. Old AD left to go work for the NCAA (the one who got them in the mess with the Taggert experiment). They couldn't attract any outside candidates to fill the position, so they hired someone within that nobody knows. And now not only him, but several others will be moving on in a year or two as well, creating even more uncertainty and lack of stability.

And... Let's not forget about the administration turning the other way when it came to academic and APR issues because Jimbo was winning but then putting the blame on him for the culture of the program after he left, when they knew all along what was going on.

Seeing a couple people say that FSU is indeed in contact with Stoops but they aren’t finalizing a deal as has been reported and FSU is still going to interview more candidates. Also seeing that FSU has actually not raised all of the 20 million owed for Taggerts buyout.

Figured with all your research you would have come across this by now....

Kirk Herbstreit- Bob Stoops not a candidate for FSU job.

Quite the smokescreen out there. Wonder if it’s for his baby bro, waiting for it to clear.

Finebaum seems to think the only job Bob has interest in is Notre Dame.... Also goes on to pretty much say the same thing I said earlier regarding the instability/uncertainty within the administration and FSU being a terrible job for any established coach for that reason.

Florida State is a Dumpster Fire