BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (9/23) - Discussion

Ram

Class 5A

On a week where the usual players in the Class 5A Top 10 mostly handled their business, Bowling Green was the lone familiar face posting a "L" as 6A St. Xavier was a little too much. The Purples need a rebound and will look for it against 4A Corbin. All eyes may be on Lexington as Scott County travels to Frederick Douglass in a massive Central Kentucky match-up. Highlands is still flying under the radar a bit, something not familiar for the perennial heavyweight. The blue blood Blue Birds will look to announce their presence if they can knock off 4A's top-ranked team Boyle County. Conner sneaks into the Top 10 and are off to a great start, they cannot afford to slip up over Boone County.

1. Frederick Douglass vs. #3 Scott County

2. Covington Catholic vs. Cooper

3. Scott County at #1 Frederick Douglass

4. Highlands at 4A #1 Boyle County

5. South Warren at 3A #8 Glasgow

6. Bowling Green at 4A #6 Corbin

7. South Oldham vs. Jeffersontown

8. Pulaski County at Whitley County

9. Owensboro at Ohio County

10. Conner at Boone County

I am interested to see what happens with the top four teams after this week.

CovCath will win for sure, but the other three all have tall tasks this week.

Definite possibility for a shakeup at the top of 5A this week. Then again, those games could all be close and nobody moves at all. Either way, it'll be nice to at least have some excitement around this class on Friday night after a couple of weeks of vanilla results.

Don't know why we're insistent of keeping FD at #1. But I guess we'll see if they should remain there when they play Scott Co.

Why FD #1?

1. Talent and expectations because of the talent. No one has more high level talent than FD.

2. FD had played 5 games and 4 were lopsided shutout wins over 6A teams.

3. No other 5A team has made a clear case they should be ranked above FD.

If you think someone else has a clear argument they should jump over FD, state their case.

Yes, the Scott County game will be FD's biggest challenge of the year. If FD wants to stay #1, they have to win. If FD wins, they become even more entrenched as #1.

Why FD #1?

2. FD had played 5 games and 4 were lopsided shutout wins over 6A teams.

I'm not advocating anybody else for the top spot.

But this point doesn't really sell me on FD. These 6A teams are a combined 5 - 18 (or 5 - 13 if you omit the FD victories).

I'm guessing Tates Creek is the most impressive win, but they would be, at best, a middle of the pack 6A team.

I'm not advocating anybody else for the top spot.

But this point doesn't really sell me on FD. These 6A teams are a combined 5 - 18 (or 5 - 13 if you omit the FD victories).

I'm guessing Tates Creek is the most impressive win, but they would be, at best, a middle of the pack 6A team.

True, and if you look at the record of the opponents of the other leading 5A teams, they have a losing record cumulatively at this point.

True, and if you look at the record of the opponents of the other leading 5A teams, they have a losing record cumulatively at this point.

Again, I'm not making a case for any team. I suspect the winner of the FD/SC game will be in the number one spot next week and I'm okay with that. But to use FD's schedule to date as a determining factor as to why they are the current number one doesn't hold much water for me.

Again, I'm not making a case for any team. I suspect the winner of the FD/SC game will be in the number one spot next week and I'm okay with that. But to use FD's schedule to date as a determining factor as to why they are the current number one doesn't hold much water for me.

If we look at the schedules of the other top 5A teams, no one has played a schedule that is significantly more difficult. The only top 10 team whose opponents have a winning record is Owensboro. The only knock on FD's schedule is they have not had a game yet against a top notch team. Several of the others have had a game against one top notch team. Bottom line, there isn't anything in the schedules that gives a team a big advantage or disadvantage.

If we look at the schedules of the other top 5A teams, no one has played a schedule that is significantly more difficult. The only top 10 team whose opponents have a winning record is Owensboro. The only knock on FD's schedule is they have not had a game yet against a top notch team. Several of the others have had a game against one top notch team. Bottom line, there isn't anything in the schedules that gives a team a big advantage or disadvantage.

Agreed. That's why I was confused when you listed the FD wins as a reason for them to be #1.

:deadhorse: